Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C3 rear bumper cover install question

Old 06-18-2018, 12:22 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Default C3 rear bumper cover install question

I asked this on the c3section to no avail so this hopefully will get better results. I have removed my bumper cover (it’s a 77) I have a replacement cover that came from a 78. I am in the process of mounting it and have run into a stumbling point so I figured it was best to step back relax and ask. With the tail light supports mounted to the bumper bar the fit on the pass side is not good, I removed the tail light supports and the fit is much better. The pass t/l support keeps the cover from being raised high enough. I considered removing the top lip on the support but opted not to thinking then the lights wouldn’t mount so nothing gained. My next thought was to work on loosening the bumper bar bolts and raising it as I see it’s has some adjustment but decided to ask first to see if there was something I was missing.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Are you installing a urethane factory bumper or fiberglass bumper?????

DUB
Old 06-18-2018, 08:24 PM
danh77
Pro

Urethane factory bumper
Old 06-19-2018, 08:58 AM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks for the reply.

When I install a factory urethane bumper on a car like yours. I look a the original one if it is still attached.

Often times I can see distortion or even bulging of the urethane above the taillight areas.

IF I see anything I do not like I know I need to get in at eh area where the impact bar is attached and do adjustments there.

Now this can be in moving it up or down or even removing a shim or making a new shim to space out the impact bar so when the bumper cover is attached to the taillight housing supports. The urethane does not bulge or get distorted when I put it out in the sun.

So there is no guarantee that when replacing a urethane bumper that the impact bar will stay where it was originally.

DUB
Old 06-19-2018, 10:40 AM
danh77
Pro

Dub, thanks very much for the reply, you confirmed just what I was thinking but definitely good to hear from experience. The p/o had replaced the front cover at some point and did what I deem to be a unacceptable job. While working on this I was able to find your write up on bumper replacement, along with a post by a member with a orange 76 I believe, that you helped match the paint on. That will be the next project but wonderful information that you and he took the time to share. Those are both must reads for bumper replacement as far as I’m concerned. This forum is very lucky to have members like you who are willing to share such knowledge
The following users liked this post:
DUB (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 AM
DUB
Race Director

Knowingthat oyuar einsataiing aurethane bumper and not a rigid fiberglas bumper..

Keep in mind that you really do not want to get to crazy on how tight you tighten up the nuts that hold on your bumpers. Getting them TOO TIGHT can cause for ripples where they are and can be seen along he edge where the urethane bumpers touches the body. Just get them tight enough to snug up the bumper can get the gap to close up if needed. ..and then just a little bit more.

If you are concerned that they are not tight enough...and may loosen themselves back up...but the bumper is on the car solid and does not move around. I put a little dab of RTV on the nut and the stud so it cannot back off but is still easy to remove if needed in the future.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
danh77 (06-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C3 rear bumper cover install question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C3 rear bumper cover install question