Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

??? - painters - binks m1-g hvlp

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Default ??? - painters - binks m1-g hvlp

they seem to be discontinued, if fact, it appears that binks as a company is MIA. anyway, i have one - brand new, in the box. question, decent hvlp for BC/CC? the gun has a 1.4 (94) fluid nozzle, and a 1.3 (93) air nozzle. BTW - although I've done painting in the past, i'm in no way a professional painter. my "in the past" was 1991 and lacquer. never done BC/CC -

Last edited by Joe C; 06-26-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:50 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have never used it but the fluid nozzle/needles you have seem that they should work good for the basecoat and clearcoat.

1.3 is generally used for basecoat and the 1.4 for the clear....sometimes a 1.5 for clear.

When you buy your paint and clear. Get the product information bulletin ( which is NOT the same as the MSDS sheet) that should come with it and often times it will tell you what size to use and other factors such as air pressure, flash times,etc.

Obviously...basecoat is really not that much different than old school lacquer. And some paint companies sometimes will suggest to go with one grade slower in the reducer you use for your current air temps. SO. test it out and get it adjusted so it can work for you.

I never set my gun so I have a full trigger pull. I generally start out at 2 full turns out from where I could not pull back on the trigger and go from there. I RARELY ( if ever) go past 2 and a half turns.

But understand that is me KNOWING the paint I use and how it performs in relation to my painting style.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Joe C (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 07:50 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I have never used it but the fluid nozzle/needles you have seem that they should work good for the basecoat and clearcoat.

1.3 is generally used for basecoat and the 1.4 for the clear....sometimes a 1.5 for clear.

When you buy your paint and clear. Get the product information bulletin ( which is NOT the same as the MSDS sheet) that should come with it and often times it will tell you what size to use and other factors such as air pressure, flash times,etc.

Obviously...basecoat is really not that much different than old school lacquer. And some paint companies sometimes will suggest to go with one grade slower in the reducer you use for your current air temps. SO. test it out and get it adjusted so it can work for you.

I never set my gun so I have a full trigger pull. I generally start out at 2 full turns out from where I could not pull back on the trigger and go from there. I RARELY ( if ever) go past 2 and a half turns.

But understand that is me KNOWING the paint I use and how it performs in relation to my painting style.

DUB
thanks for the info. my original intent was to "flip" this gun, but for what I could get for it on fleabay, might as well keep it. one thing if found when researching product information is binks id's the 93P air nozzle as a LVLP and not the conventional HVLP. it also only requires 18PSI inlet pressure. this gun seems suited more for panel repair, and since i'm looking at a repaint of my rocker panels and front bumper fascia repaint, might as well give it a try. in researching the binks m1-g - mixed reviews. most folks say its a good paint gun - some swear by it. since I haven't "pulled the trigger" in 25 years, BC/CC should be interesting. hope it's like riding a bike. speaking of which, I still have my "old school" devilbiss, jga-502 siphon gun - that thing has to be 35-40 years old. OBTW, looks like devilbiss now owns binks.

now a follow up question - paint. anyone use "restoration shop" products? my 85 is somewhat, a "pampered" daily driver, and not for show. not that i'm trying to save a buck, but I really don't need any high end paint products.

Last edited by Joe C; 06-26-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:29 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have not used the paint you are inquiring about.

As for the gun and paint you plan on using. Give it a try and test it out.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To ??? - painters - binks m1-g hvlp

Quick Reply: ??? - painters - binks m1-g hvlp