Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Need Guidance on Removing Body Filler

Old 06-22-2018, 09:15 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Understood... and will give it a shot the next time I see I need to do it. You can count on that.

DUB
Old 06-25-2018, 12:15 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
i learned this trick from an old body guy when i was young. i was repainting a chop top merc that had at least 5 gals of filler on it. after a day of grinding i had a mess. he came in the next day and threw a fit. he made me clean up then handed me a propane torch and a welders brush. it still makes a mess but it does not get airborne . once you get the hang of it it's like a razor blade and heat gun.
Hi Porch, never heard of that process. Sounds pretty straight forward. Hopefully I would not need it but good to know!

RVZIO
Old 09-19-2018, 08:44 PM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey porchdog, I’d like to hear more about your approach, I’m finding quite a bit of filler as I’m stripping my paint as well!
Old 09-20-2018, 07:35 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the torch does not heat the filler. it draws out the solvents and turns it to powder. DO NOT SET IT ON FIRE ! one pass back and forth is all it takes. keep track of how hot it is. move around . keep in mind it will draw solvents from the glass too .
Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Obviously common sense comes into play for those who are possibly chemically stripping their car and have a lot of lacquer thinner around Make sure your environment is not having any vapor or fumes if you sue 'porchdog's' method of removing boy filler.

DUB
Old 09-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent, thank you Porchdog I will definitely give it a test go. Dub, it never hurts to give safety advice, thank you sir! Common sense isn’t very common!
Old 09-20-2018, 12:43 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

yep, screw around with fumes and you'll have a new understanding of the flash . or at least know why he ran so fast .
Old 09-28-2018, 12:34 AM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I used a Dremel tool with a bit designed for cutting ceramic tile and routing out tile grout joints to remove the filler from the bonding strips.

It worked great, but you have to go slow and be mindful of the depth so you don't cut into the fender.

I filled the bonding strips with Vette Panel Adhesive. You can also fiberglass the bonding strips if you want, but I'm pretty sure that Vette Panel Adhesive will outlast me before any bonding line cracks start to appear again. That VPA is great stuff once you learn how to work with it.

I stripped the original lacquer paint using a combination of heat gun and razor blade scrapers, Citri Strip chemical stripper, and sanding in some places where necessary.

I kept power sanders off it. Any momentary lapse of concentration when using one and you have another repair to do.

This forum, and advice from Dub here helped me a lot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Guidance on Removing Body Filler