Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Replacing deck lid black 05 convertible. Paint match?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:56 AM
rossi190
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Replacing deck lid black 05 convertible. Paint match?

Hi guys,

I just purchased an 05 Black C6 convertible that had some questionable work bodywork done to it. It is cracked and a bit raised where the work was done. Seems something was dropped on the lid and it was poorly filled and painted.

I can buy an OEM new deck lid in factory black much cheaper than having a body shop correct someone else’s failure. Any clue how far off the colors may be? It is a driver, not a show car, but I want it to be close. I have heard “Black is black” but I’m not sure. I am having the car fully paint corrected and ceramic coated so everything else should be brought back to a good as possible.

Thanks in advance for a corvette newb.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:35 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by rossi190
Hi guys,

I just purchased an 05 Black C6 convertible that had some questionable work bodywork done to it. It is cracked and a bit raised where the work was done. Seems something was dropped on the lid and it was poorly filled and painted.

I can buy an OEM new deck lid in factory black much cheaper than having a body shop correct someone else’s failure. Any clue how far off the colors may be? It is a driver, not a show car, but I want it to be close. I have heard “Black is black” but I’m not sure. I am having the car fully paint corrected and ceramic coated so everything else should be brought back to a good as possible.

Thanks in advance for a corvette newb.
http://paintref.com/paintref/index.shtml
Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 PM
rossi190
Advanced

Originally Posted by caskiguy
Thanks,

The paint code will be the same. What I am trying to figure out is how different a new panel with the same paint code will look next to an 05 car that has been paint corrrected and ceramic coated. I have heard that black is the best for this type of thing, but would like to hear real world experiences.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:53 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by rossi190
Thanks,

The paint code will be the same. What I am trying to figure out is how different a new panel with the same paint code will look next to an 05 car that has been paint corrrected and ceramic coated. I have heard that black is the best for this type of thing, but would like to hear real world experiences.
Sorry my mistake. Hope you're able to match it up.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

No way in telling of it is going to match up exactly or not. Black used to be the best color to shoot until GM started adding other colors to black. So...actually there are variants to black.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
rossi190 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:35 PM
rossi190
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
No way in telling of it is going to match up exactly or not. Black used to be the best color to shoot until GM started adding other colors to black. So...actually there are variants to black.

DUB
thanks for the reply. You seem to be the go to guy in the paint department, so I will take it as a slight positive you didn’t tell me it would look like a clown car

I have hopes it will be close enough for a driver. What I have is just a mess that I think will take more time and money than it’s worth. I can get an OEM painted black deck lid for under $400, new, not used so I hope it is close.

I really appreciate you taking the time.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Glad to be of some help. Due to it being black....if it is off...and what I might feel it may look like is the the new part is a bit more vibrant and possibly have a bit more depth to it due to it being new.

I am sure that 90% of the people out there could not be able to tell the difference. Adn depending on how good h surrounding paint is on the adjacent panels...they may need to be polished to a shine to compliment the new panel.

It is all about 'tricking' the eye.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing deck lid black 05 convertible. Paint match?

Quick Reply: Replacing deck lid black 05 convertible. Paint match?