Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Gel Coating-first time

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:47 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree this new format is somewhat troubling at times. When I scroll down to quickly and not watching I can get into the next 'related thread' an have to go back up and find the thread I am trying to post on.

DUB
Old 08-20-2018, 04:43 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

while i do not use gelcoat as much as i did in the past on this particular car i would. using gelcoat was started back in the lacquer days. it was the only way to hold down major repairs and stop ghosting .everything we do is a god awful mess . nature of the beast .
epoxy works well for me but i have plenty of cure time and like dub i've used my method for years . good luck with it .

maybe they will leave this where i put it this time. if it works dont fix it .
Old 08-20-2018, 06:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
ouch! didn't know opinions were not welcome. only experience. sorry....
You can have an opinion but if it is on something you do not know about first hand ...it is kinda pointless. Seeing it used ONE TIME and it going bad does not make it product that never should be used.

And I purposely made an example with chemical stripper because I knew you wrote you used it. And I can tell you that many people would tell you that you screwed up but they only saw it used once and they had problems. Hopefully you get my point and see I was not attacking you..

DUB
Old 09-05-2018, 04:37 PM
derekd8915
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would look into duratec clear additive if you are set on using a gelcoat, no pvc required and can be sprayed like paint.

Quick Reply: Gel Coating-first time