Ceramic Coating General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 09:38 PM
jsdweck
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating General Discussion

Hello Everyone.
This thread is all about ceramic coating products. How to prep the car, apply the product, mistakes (we all make them), removal, benefits, risks, results, comparisons, thoughts and ideas. Lets also include the alternatives like wax and sealants.

I have had three Vettes. I am not an authority on paint and body. There are many experts here using and swearing by many products. That's excellent.
Historically I have used wax. I have also sealed the paint with a simple but effective non-wax synthetic sealant (see product picture). Last month I applied a nanotech ceramic coating (see product picture).

Applying Synthetic Sealant
1. The simple but very effective Meguiar's synthetic sealant applied with a random orbital produced EXCELLENT results for me. This easy on easy off product is forgiving and easy to apply, resulting in hydrophilic mirror-like shine. I don't think one can make a mistake while applying this product and the results are ceramic-like. It will last a year, but the second coat after 3 months really boosts the quality and results. I highly recommend this treatment. Synthetic Sealant mentioned above is what I recommend in hindsight. It's less permanent, less costly, forgiving to apply, and the results are good enough.

Applying Ceramic Coating
2. Ceramic coating is a liquid formula of silicon dioxide and metal nanoparticles. The metal might be titanium.
I have found the results to be excellent.
a. Before you apply ceramic coating MAKE SURE you prep the car. Failure to do this will produce inconsistent "ceramic patches" as a result. They will be visible and mentally upsetting to you.
b. Prepping the car strips all aftermarket products off the paint to the clearcoat.
c. Prepping then involves buffing out swirls.
d. Prepping then involves washing with a high quality non-wax soap and blow drying the car.
d. Prepping then involves wiping the car down with 70% alcohol (Costco has it)

3. Apply the ceramic when it's cool. You may want to start in the very early morning in the garage. Allow 2 hours at least.
a. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Avoid altering your approach at all times. For instance, don't go back over your work while it's drying. This will take patience and discipline. Avoid fatigue. Take a break after you finish a panel. Remember what you completed and where you left off. If you think you missed a spot, WAIT until 24 hours and then you can re-apply without consequence. If you reapply in an area before it dries the result will upset you.
b. Wait 48 HOURS before you re-apply.
c. Wait 72 hours before you introduce water.

4. After curing, mistakes can be "erased".
a. Use a water saturated 2" x 2" piece of 2,000 wet/dry sandpaper with a VERY light touch of your fingertips. (or an orbital but that is not what i used)
b. Follow with compound (use an orbital)
c. Follow with polish (use an orbital)
d. Follow with alcohol.
e. Repeat all steps if needed.
f. Re-apply ceramic.

Please feel free to correct, comment, compliment my post. I hope the community will develop this thread so that it helps others.
Regards,
jon

2014 Premier Edition #167 Stingray. Z-51 Manual 3LT. Standard "glass" roof and Brownstone Interior, Premier edition wheels. Aftermarket 50% Ceramic driver and passenger door tinted glass.

Ceramic Applied

Ceramic Applied

Old 07-26-2018, 06:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have to work on a few cars that have the Cilajet product on them which seems to be quite similar to what you have applied. I like how the cars look and are swirl free...but I HATE it if I have to go and paint them due the process I have to go through to make 100% sure that product is off so I get good paint adhesion.

Other than that...I like it.

DUB

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating General Discussion