Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

repairing inexperienced media blasting issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 04:14 PM
council bay
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default repairing inexperienced media blasting issues

I bought a 1970 convertible project about 7 years ago. It needed a front clip replacement and came with an after market spray up one. I'm going to start the project this winter and am going to attempt it myself. I would not attempt it without the knowledge and experience of other forum members who have shared their posts on here. Thank you all.
Have decided I will not be satisfied with an after market front end, It's going to take the same amount of time and money to put on a factory one and a quality job in the end. I found a 1972 body that is in good shape, no hit, but was media blasted by an inexperienced person who damaged some of the glass and blasted through in a few spots. I have not seen the body but have been sent some pictures that i will try to post here. The person I am buying the body from is a very straight forward and up an up guy, he just got totally distgusted when he got this body back.
Can anyone tell me if this is a fixable issue, can it be fixed correctly without any further structual issues. If it can what would be the correct process for prepairing it for paint correctly. Would appreciate any and all thoughts on this. Thanks

blasted thru fiberglass

Last edited by council bay; 09-03-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not knowing how much thickness the person who media blasted took off.... I would RUN from this . The amount of time to go over the front clip and thicken it up with mat and resin and block it back down. I would rather put on new panels and go from there even though that takes time also.

It would be different if this used clip was the ONLY one in the world.. But it is not the only one..

DUB
Old 09-03-2018, 06:40 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

First thing is you have to ask is why the guy is selling ? pretty obvious that its totally ruined , as in its so thin that you would have to probably have to put glass back on it almost everywhere . so you spend hours and hours adding glass , sanding , smoothing to get it perfect and finally get it looking good . That's a massive job for even a professional . Then you have to worry about contamination from whatever it was blasted with coming back to haunt you later

Unless he gives it to you then I would forget it

my advice would be to buy new and not have any of that drama.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:37 PM
council bay
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Not knowing how much thickness the person who media blasted took off.... I would RUN from this . The amount of time to go over the front clip and thicken it up with mat and resin and block it back down. I would rather put on new panels and go from there even though that takes time also.

It would be different if this used clip was the ONLY one in the world.. But it is not the only one..

DUB
Thank you guys for your knowledge,experience and advice. It's not what I was hoping to hear but it will be advise well taken. I'll continue to look for a factory front clip. Thanks again for saving me headaches and problems down the road.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:16 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

good example of why i have never hired any help in my blasting business . just too risky . i have seen a car almost this bad done with soda.

Get notified of new replies

To repairing inexperienced media blasting issues

Quick Reply: repairing inexperienced media blasting issues