Prepping 1985 corvette - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Prepping 1985 corvette

Old 01-17-2019, 02:59 PM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

I got the twilights out but how do you get this little bracket they go into off. I need it off to reach behind it to take off the spoiler. Here a couple pictures of what I mean. I took off a bolt but canít figure out what holds that part on. The spoiler bolts on to the bumper behind where they are attached so I canít reach the bolts to the spoiler.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,347 Times in 2,043 Posts

IF your rear spoiler has a nut or bolt that is in between where your taillights are..I have had to come up from the bottom to get it with a long extension and I can generally see it. So when i know I can see it...in most cases....I can get to it. . And even though it is a pain in the backside...it can be done.

These taillight retainers are pop riveted to the metal retainer that is attached to your bumper so you can install the sheet metal screws.
Removing these would be a problem.

On some cars I take of the rear bumper while it is still attached to the bumper and then take it off and when I go to put it back on I get the bumper all set then install it.

DUB
Old 01-17-2019, 06:39 PM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

Ok, thanks again. One thing I wondered is how would I get it back on if I do get enough room with an extension to take the spoiler off?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:05 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

I honestly do not know how to answer that question do to I run into scenarios like this and the time it takes is just that...the time it takes and having to be really good at problem solving and using common sense...such as using soft putty to hold the washer and nut on your socket when oyu work it back up and try to get it to start on the threaded stud of the rear wing or if you need to install a bolt....figure out how it will work

You just have to figure it out because I cannot see what you have going on ...so I am commenting literally blind here and only able to comment from past experiences and what you say when you type out your concerns. As you are finding out...working on cars is not always as easy as some people may think.

DUB
Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 PM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DUB View Post
I honestly do not know how to answer that question do to I run into scenarios like this and the time it takes is just that...the time it takes and having to be really good at problem solving and using common sense...such as using soft putty to hold the washer and nut on your socket when oyu work it back up and try to get it to start on the threaded stud of the rear wing or if you need to install a bolt....figure out how it will work

You just have to figure it out because I cannot see what you have going on ...so I am commenting literally blind here and only able to comment from past experiences and what you say when you type out your concerns. As you are finding out...working on cars is not always as easy as some people may think.

DUB
ok, Iíll try to think of something then. I thought you might have done this exact same thing before and knew it or something but youíve helped enough haha. Iím always asking you questions. I think Iíve asked too many haha.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:22 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

No problem in asking questions....but unless can see what you are encountering...my suggestions may not make any sense.

DUB
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
85 CRVET
CF Senior Member

I finally got the left side of the spoiler off today. I used a lot of extensions and got it from underneath the car. I might cut a slit in that bracket that holds the taillights because I donít know how I will be able to line up the spoiler bracket and nuts when I go to put it back on. Then I could reach my hand through a hole in that bracket so I could start the nuts before tightening them. I was so glad that the studs on the spoiler didnít turn. I thought they were at first because there was one locking but which made it a little tight to turn the whole time. I might get the right side tomorrow, too cold today to keep messing with it. I also took the passenger side door molding off the other day. It cracked a little spot in the middle but when itís back on you wonít be able to tell because it cracked on the back side. Iíll make sure to put some double sided tape right in that spot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prepping 1985 corvette

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: