Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Is this hood aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 12:29 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this hood aftermarket?

I have been using paint stripper (aircraft for fiberglass) to take off the paint, 1975. I tried on the roof panels first and learned from it.
Now I have moved on to the hood, while doing the hood, I am seeing something new, after certain paint layer there is this layer which I originally thought was the bare bottom. But a very thin layer of that has started coming off too. And I also see very tiny dips which seem to be in the hood, not in the paint, but actually in the hood.

If you look at the picture below, I was not hard with the scrapper at all, normal force, same scrapers, same everything.

If you look at the bottom part (circled) you can see little dips (the tiny white spots) in the actual hood.
My question is, what is this? Am I doing something wrong?
My assumption is that its an aftermarket hood, and in its creation there were bubbles. and the layer which I seem to be taking off accidentally is the acrylic layer?

Old 09-29-2018, 09:33 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

There is NO WAY in knowing this hood is aftermarket by using this photo or the photos in your other threads,

I need to see the underside of the hood to tell you that.

AS for the white you are seeing. Until l see the underside of the hood in a GOOD PHOTO of it. I can not say if this is white gelcoat or primer or if it is the actual SMC of the hood itself..

Simply taking a piece of sand paper and sanding down a small area on the edge of the panel will tell you INSTANTLY where the material that makes up the hood is and how many layers can be on it so you know where to stop putting the chemical stripper on that layer

In the photo above . The yellow arrows are pointing to what I feel is the SMC of your hood so keep the chemical stripper OFF of it when you get to that point and it is exposed..

DUB
Old 05-28-2020, 09:13 AM
Gregg's77
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

Beautiful thread to scroll through. I'm just starting my quarantine hood project....so this is very inspiring.

Gregg

Get notified of new replies

To Is this hood aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Is this hood aftermarket?