Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

68 Wheel Well Repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 01:02 PM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

Default 68 Wheel Well Repair

I am at the point in my restoration where I am focusing on body repairs. The previous owner must of had too large of tires on the front. There is wear spots on both, left and right sides of the wheel well lips. The damage is from rubbing the return of the fender lip. I am looking for suggestions on the best plan to tackle these areas. The front side that is visible looks factory but when I get on the floor ad look up I see the lip is worn away. Just looking for best practice for repair. I tried glassing around the radius of the wheel well lip, overlapping the worn area, but the glass sags. So I made backing strips from fiberglass to put over the back side and using clamps to hold in place and glassed up against the backing but it really did not work too well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Need photos and a good descriptor and or you also pointing to anything that may better allow me to understand your problem.

In some repairs where I have concerns that the mat and resin can fall. I only apply one if not two layers and STOP so I can keep it where i want it . Then come in the next day and prep that and add more due to NOW I have solid fiberglass to hold up what I am adding on it.

Sheet wax can also help but without being able to see your problem. I am stopping there.

DUB
Old 11-02-2018, 06:08 AM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

Thank you DUB. You have captured my issue. I think the wax paper with a reinforced backer to hold the radius may just work. I did try to build VPA but i'm not comfortable with it long term. I will remove it and start again. I'll let you know.
Thanks,
Peter
Old 11-02-2018, 08:49 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Wax paper is NOT the same as sheet wax. just so there is no misunderstanding in terminology.

Look at POST #96 in the thread in the link below.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rag-car-5.html

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 68 Wheel Well Repair

Quick Reply: 68 Wheel Well Repair