Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Large bubbles in ten year old paint on my 1972 options???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:35 AM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21
Default Large bubbles in ten year old paint on my 1972 options???

Hey all, first time posting in this forum so be kind to my being a newbie. A little history, I have owned this Vette for about two years now and it time to address the "elephant in the room" when it comes to the paint. The paint is decent and looks nice except for these few bubble flaws on the drivers side rear deck area. Winter is coming so I figured I would try to address them as best as possible. Paint is probably 10 years old and I think is a two stage. I assume that something was place on the rear deck flat area and there was some kind of contamination before it was painted. No sign of bubbling anywhere else in the paint. You can see some orange peel coming through, I am not sure of the extent of the prep work before it was painted and it is the correct original color.

So I figure my options are to repaint (sadly absolutely impossible budget wise), find a shop to repair and blend ( not sure if its in the budget and who would I take it to here in the far end of Long Island NY, any suggestions), try to Bubba it myself (ouch, I feel you all cringing). So here are some pics , sorry I had trouble photographing them well.

My bubba fix is that I have read a suggestion to ***** the bubble and insert some "crazy glue" into the bubble and flatten it. But I have not found a post that someone had done this. Have I lost it? Has anyone successfully done this? Any other thoughts or repairs,that I can do myself possible? I have been staring at these for too long and its time to do something.

Greatly appreciate any and all advise!!! Thanks Ike

Last edited by general ike; 11-02-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:56 AM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

I tried to use super glue on my 84 that had bubbles. The results were less than satisfactory. You can try it because your only other option is stripping the paint off and finding out why the paint released from the primer or the fiberglass.

There's not an easy if the glue doesn't work. At this point if it's bothering you that much you're about out of options.

Good Luck

The following users liked this post:
general ike (11-04-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 01:41 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Randy, thanks for the quick response. May I ask how the results were "less than satisfactory"? Anything you would have done differently? Thanks Ike
Old 11-02-2018, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Repairing a bubble problem like this will be up to what the person who owns it can live with.

Solid colors may do better than a metallic color. Two pin holes are needed . ...one at each end so when the superglue is put into a hypodermic syringe....you can inject it into the air bubble and allow it to work its a way through the bubble depending on size) and then press on it to try to get it to hold.

Some times using a heat gun can aid to soften the paint and not allow it to crack easily.

Also...even when this is done....it can do it again due to you can only assume that the surface inside the bubble will actually accept the glue and hold.

DUB
general ike (11-04-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 06:29 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

DUB thanks for the suggestion. Great idea about the second hole. Would it be wise to first shoot some solvent in the bubble first to try to clean up the impurities. Or will that potentially make a bigger mess if so what should I use. Thanks again Ike
Old 11-03-2018, 09:36 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Injecting a solvent into the hole is something would not do....due to how do you I know it is all out when you go to inject
the super glue into it??? And if any powdery substance comes off on the inside of the bubble. there is no way in knowing if it is collecting up in an area and has not all come out.

You are aware that this is a 'Band-Aid' fix and you should not expect miraculous results that last. If your repair does work and lasts...... consider yourself fortunate.

The reason I am replying in the manner I am is because I have been asked to do this to paint jobs that have failed. Sometimes the results are quite favorable and look really good...while in some cases...not so much.

Back in the day when this would happen to lacquer paint jobs that were painted in a 'candy' color. I would inject a lacquer thinner and clear mix into the bubble to soften it and get it to lay down and the clear would be like a 'superglue'. But your car is not lacquer.... so it is different.

DUB
general ike (11-04-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 11:38 AM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

DUB this again for your expertise and replying. I am fully aware that I am not going to get a show quality fix here but I think we will get it better than it is now or at least I hope.
Since it is confined to this area if the car was spot treating and blend repainting this area only an option or no way and I would need to paint the whole back half of the car?

Thanks again all Ike

Last edited by general ike; 11-03-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Large bubbles in ten year old paint on my 1972 options???

Quick Reply: Large bubbles in ten year old paint on my 1972 options???