Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

do you need a paint booth for primer/surfacer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:50 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default do you need a paint booth for primer/surfacer?

Finishing up body work and getting the last of the paint off my 72 backyard paint project and getting ready for primer/surfacer.

Question please. I understand why a paint booth is a must for base/clear coat. However, do you really need a paint booth for primer and surfacer? Maybe a stupid question, but it looks like since it is going to be blocked and sanded, maybe you could get by without a paint booth for this step?

And I have a new appreciation for people that paint Corvettes, lots of work and talent needed, I now believe they earn every penny!

Last edited by 20mercury; 11-06-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:47 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Old 11-06-2018, 07:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Having the car in a filtered environment is always best. Priming it outside or not in a booth all depends if you can live with crap getting into your primer and thus possibly causing you problems when it is painted and put in the sun.

Do not think that just because it is 'primer' it can be treated differently....even though many people do just that. I don't.. I treat it as it needs to be treated due to it is normally the FIRST layer of spray able product you are applying on all of your bodywork.

So...prime your car and have a bug land in it and prime over it and so on...then sand the primer and all looks good until the paint gets hot and that dead bug that has liquid and air in it causes for a bubble in your fresh paint job. IF a that happens...you would WISH you could turn back time and do it in an area that at least provides SOME protection.

You can make a home made booth out of plastic and filters for very little money....if you want to....or not and prime it under that pine tree and see how that works.

What amazes me id that people will work for hours and hours to get the body work right and prime it and let trash get in it. It makes no sense to me at all on that.

DUB
Old 11-06-2018, 08:16 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Much Thanks! and your comments make very much common sense. No time to cut corners now and regret it later. I only have a zillion hours doing body work and getting the paint off on this 72. BTW, we have lots of pine trees and a kazillion bugs in Louisiana which are likely attracted to paint smells, so all of the ingredients are here for a disaster, LOL's.

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2018, 08:53 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am glad that you can see that the zillion hours you already have in working on your Corvette should make it so any further step you take is not sacrificing any of the time you have spent and all procedures from this point on are adding to the success of the jobs completion.

You would be amazed on how many paint jobs over the years that I have gone and looked at at a persons house to where when I stopped by before it was primed the body work was completed it was darn near perfect...but all steps after that ruined how the car looked when completed.....due to they got impatient and just wanted it done and did not take time to do what ever was needed to make the job look stellar. Obviously the advice I gave them fell on deaf ears...so they got what they got.

I hope your endeavor in how you do what you do gives you the results you envision in how the car looks when completed.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
20mercury (11-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To do you need a paint booth for primer/surfacer?

Quick Reply: do you need a paint booth for primer/surfacer?