Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

DUB, I need a little advice...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:19 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default DUB, I need a little advice...

The front fascia on my C-5 has some "road rash". I also have a rear fascia, with the integral spoiler, coming from Corvette Creationz. I should have it later this week. I'm looking to strip the front fascia, to get it ready for repaint, and of course the new fascia will need to be painted.

Right now, it's quite cold where I live. The body shop that I'm going to take it to, for painting, will be warm. However, after the parts are painted, should I bring them home and promptly install them on a cold car, in a cold garage; bring them home and keep them in my reasonably warm basement, to give the paint some time to cure, OR should I wait, and do the work closer to spring?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2018, 04:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know I would want to handle them while they are warm and not cold. I am not so much concerned on how cold the car is. Now if the garage is 20 degrees F I would not waste my time and wait til spring. If you can warm up the garage to about 50 degrees F+..I would do it then.

I know I would NOT allow them to stay in the basement and cure out. I like getting them on as soon as I can...generally the next day or the day after that as long as I know I am not going to leave an imprint.from any hard grasping on it.or pressing on it to get it flush where needed.

Not knowing IF they are going to use a flex additive or not....THIS is why I would not let them cure out in the basement until spring. the paint can possibly crack due to any excessive flexing of it IF it has no flex additive in it. Even if it does...it also depends if the flex additive they use is made for quick re-assembly reassembly.... and ....in time.... it actually dries out.

DUB
Old 12-09-2018, 11:16 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

also, sometimes storing pieces without proper supports can warp/sag a bit. and may take a bit of flexing when installing to get it back to shape. so if you need to store it make sure its properly supported and not have hard pressure points.(ie dont set it on a small stool with the sides hanging of on either end, youll end up bulging out the middle section) and at that point with hard cured clear it may not flex back correctly.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Thanks, guys! Sounds like I'll wait until spring. My only reason(s) for doing it now, was A) it gives me something to do, on those long, dark, cold winter days; and B) the body shop isn't quite as busy, so they have the time to do it right, without rushing, and could possibly give me a little better deal on the work.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:52 AM
DUB
Race Director

What temperature would your garage be at when doing this???

Can you heat it up to at least 50+ degrees???

DUB
Old 12-10-2018, 11:42 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
What temperature would your garage be at when doing this???

Can you heat it up to at least 50+ degrees???

DUB
SADLY, at this time of year, no way. It's an attached garage, and the house has a steeply angled roofline, meaning a LOT of "dead air space" and no ceiling. On a cold day, I'm lucky if I can raise the interior temp 3-4* over the outside temperature.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I would kill for a ceiling that high!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
I would kill for a ceiling that high!
This addition to my garage was purposely built with that high a ceiling, in order to accommodate a 4 post lift, but then other "issues" entered into the equation, sucked up the budget, and the lift never got purchased....

Old 12-10-2018, 04:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Okay...then maybe wait til spring.

DUB
Old 12-10-2018, 05:06 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
Okay...then maybe wait til spring.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To DUB, I need a little advice...

Quick Reply: DUB, I need a little advice...