Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

PlastiKote question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

PlastiKote question

Not for any of my Vettes, relax. My son-in-law has a Tacoma with a fiberglass bed cover that is peeling. I was thinking some alternative to paint might work for a diy project. I am a rattle can only painter.

Suggestions & please SPECIFIC type/brand of what might work. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:11 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Due to only a brief mention of what is going wrong and paint peeling and nothing specifically mentioned. No mention of what the surface looks like where the paint peeled off, or how thick the paint is that peeled off....or if the fiberglass is beginning to get fuzzy, etc. Nor the size of the damaged area and if you plan on only touching it up or spraying the entire cover with an aerosol paint.

You can use just about anybody's aerosol paint an primer as long as you follow the recommendations on the can on how to prep it and apply it. SO...DupliColor, SEM, Krylon, PlastiDip and any others will do just fine.

Without detailed information and what your expectations are in using an aerosol in comparison to actual paint shot out of a gun...it is hard to tell you exactly what to use.

DUB
Old 12-12-2018, 12:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
Due to only a brief mention of what is going wrong and paint peeling and nothing specifically mentioned. No mention of what the surface looks like where the paint peeled off, or how thick the paint is that peeled off....or if the fiberglass is beginning to get fuzzy, etc. Nor the size of the damaged area and if you plan on only touching it up or spraying the entire cover with an aerosol paint.

You can use just about anybody's aerosol paint an primer as long as you follow the recommendations on the can on how to prep it and apply it. SO...DupliColor, SEM, Krylon, PlastiDip and any others will do just fine.

Without detailed information and what your expectations are in using an aerosol in comparison to actual paint shot out of a gun...it is hard to tell you exactly what to use.

DUB
Thx dub, more, I don't own/use a gun, but could learn. The peel is down to fuzzy glass at edge curves (prob. thinnest spots on original). Just looking to make it nice & last, work truck, no car shows. Just looking at a fun proj, w/son-in-law. So def some sand/primer work. Then, suggest? Sorry no pics it's 50 mi away. Do you think I should buy a cheap gun & teach myself on this proj? It's a lot of sq ft for cans. Maybe 5/6 by 10 bed cover. & curves over edges.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:02 AM
DUB
Race Director

Then sanding the fuzzy areas with something like 180 grit adn begin to apply the primer and allow it to flash off. Something like 3 or 4 coats. Then when it is dry...sand on it again with the 180 grit or maybe even go to 220 grit. And then reapply the primer to get the fuzzy areas to fill in.

Once the area is filled in and smooth by sanding it with something like 500 grit. The apply the paint.

UPOL HIGH 5 is a good aerosol high build primer but seeing ho I have no idea on how bad you fuzzy area is...it is hard to say if it is worth the added cost to buy this primer or not.

I can say ...painting this entire cover with aerosol paint will be a challenge if you are trying to make it look like it was shot out of a convention paint gun. The overlap of the spray pattern and the travel speed of you applying the paint to keep a good wet bed of paint so you have no dry streaks in the paint will make this fun but it can be done.

Getting a normal paint gun may make this MUCH easier. SO it is up to you if you want to invest into to and practice to get the feel of the gun and how to set it up so you can spray the paint correctly.

DUB
Old 12-13-2018, 11:53 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
Then sanding the fuzzy areas with something like 180 grit adn begin to apply the primer and allow it to flash off. Something like 3 or 4 coats. Then when it is dry...sand on it again with the 180 grit or maybe even go to 220 grit. And then reapply the primer to get the fuzzy areas to fill in.

Once the area is filled in and smooth by sanding it with something like 500 grit. The apply the paint.

UPOL HIGH 5 is a good aerosol high build primer but seeing ho I have no idea on how bad you fuzzy area is...it is hard to say if it is worth the added cost to buy this primer or not.

I can say ...painting this entire cover with aerosol paint will be a challenge if you are trying to make it look like it was shot out of a convention paint gun. The overlap of the spray pattern and the travel speed of you applying the paint to keep a good wet bed of paint so you have no dry streaks in the paint will make this fun but it can be done.

Getting a normal paint gun may make this MUCH easier. SO it is up to you if you want to invest into to and practice to get the feel of the gun and how to set it up so you can spray the paint correctly.

DUB
So are suggesting skip the plastikote altogether? I don't have a booth. Gonna paint outside.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

I did not write that. Read the second paragraph in post #2. Knowing you are going to paint this huge piece outside...it does not matter what you use. due to the odds something gets in it is highly likely.

DUB
Old 12-14-2018, 02:17 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
I did not write that. Read the second paragraph in post #2. Knowing you are going to paint this huge piece outside...it does not matter what you use. due to the odds something gets in it is highly likely.

DUB
I looked at some HF guns today, cheap enough to try, I have compressor. Gravity feed or sucker?

Old 12-14-2018, 08:21 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

gravity feed
Old 12-14-2018, 02:45 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
Thanks, do you agree gravity feed?

Get notified of new replies

To PlastiKote question

Quick Reply: PlastiKote question