Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Can anyone recommend how to fill the holes in my 76 body?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:09 PM
adc103
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can anyone recommend how to fill the holes in my 76 body?

I need help of what and how to fill these holes on the passenger and driver side doors. I bought the car without mirrors add the holes were already there. I would like to fill them before I put on new mirrors. Can anyone help me out, I'd appreciate it alot! It is a 1976.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:00 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Are you planning on installing the correct chrome mirrors or something else???

Does the other side look like this or worse??? You only posted one photo.

Getting this area repaired is not the issue as much as needing to know what you plan on putting back on it.

DUB
Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 PM
adc103
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The correct chrome mirrors I have already bought them. The other side looks practically identical apart from different sized holes.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:56 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

After you fix the fiberglass, then you're going to want a backing plate... here is GREAT tutorial... looks easy enough :

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html
Old 12-15-2018, 01:06 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

That glass repair will not be a big deal. What may be a bigger deal is what other repairs are needed. The restoration can be a very rewarding experience, once it is done.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:03 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Depending on stressed the fiberglass is around the holes. You may be able to just grind it down and taper it and apply some WEST SYSTEMS 105 resin and 206 hardener and laminate up the area and then grind it down and and apply a thin layer of Vette Panel Adhesive over that.

You may also take you new mirror mounting base and see what holes that were used for the original mount area and possibly not need to repair them. If you do...no big deal just as long as you take measurements to know where to then take the new mirror plate you made from my thread and pace it on the door adn drill your holes so the plate is ready to be installed as the thread shows.

These holes are small in diameter so the fear of getting the fiberglass mat to falling in the door is unlikely due to you do not want to do that or your new backing plate you made will not sit flush against the back of the fiberglass. So when laminating...do not try to push the fiberglass mat into the door area. Let it flow across it. And this may be a bit tricky due to you more than likely will NOT use the fiberglass mat as a whole. You may need to filet it so it is thinner and thus less likely to have a mind of tis own adn you can actually get it to lay down inside the area your ground down and tapered out.

Even if you only apply one fileted layer of fiberglass mat ...then the other piece of that piece of fileted fiberglass mat and let that cure up and then come back and grind on it so you NOW have a solid base to further apply mat and resin and have no fear it falls in the door. Have these pieces of fiberglass mat wetted out but not soaking wet so you do not have drops of resin coming off of them.

Think of a fileted piece of fiberglass mat like a piece of wood veneer. Thin and somewhat flexible. A piece of wood veneer can wrap around a telephone pole but a piece of 1/2" plywood cannot. But if you apply enough pieces of veneer ...you eventually will get to it being a 1/2 thick and do what you wanted.

SO...depending on the holes you grind around and taper out will tell you what you may need to or not need to do to the fiberglass mat so it will work for you and not want to lift out of the tapered hole due to the starchiness or stiffness of fiberglass mat can have sometimes.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Can anyone recommend how to fill the holes in my 76 body?

Quick Reply: Can anyone recommend how to fill the holes in my 76 body?