Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Dupont clear

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 07:15 AM
Tazz 1
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dupont clear

A dupont rep gave me two gals of Imron Elite productive clear 8890s I wanted to know if anyone has used this clear before. I also have the base to go with it. I will be using it on my white 1980.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:57 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It appears that this clear is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to be used in shops with FORCE DRY capabilities. You may need to talk to the rep and verify this....or talk with the DuPont paint tech line directly.

It does show that there are some 'air dry times' and it takes 3 days before you can assemble it.....at 77 degrees F @ 50% humidity.due to no force drying.

It also looks like an accelerator can be added to the mix to speed up the dry times.. They do want a 1.8 to 2.2 mil build and nothing is written IF it can be sanded and buffed on if that is something you want or may need to do.

http://www.axaltacs.com/content/dam/...-8890S-Eng.pdf

I have not used it.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-28-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:44 PM
Tazz 1
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear

Thank you Dub he did give me Accelerator for it , well it looks like I will use it. Thank you for the help. I painted for Freightliner for over 20 years but this is my first corvette. The problem I have is the guy I bought the car from thought he was a painter after a six pack and a couple of youtube videos . So fixing his crap paint job sucks. I see why shops ask 12k to 15k to paint these cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Dupont clear

Quick Reply: Dupont clear