Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Stripping paint from original K-H wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Default Stripping paint from original K-H wheels

Today was the day to strip the paint from my wheels. I used Aircraft Stripper (Klean-Strip). The temp was 70 degrees plus and the wheel was in the shade. After an hour, I checked the progress and it was minimal. Used a power washer and about a third of the of the paint was removed. I then reapplied the stripper and a half your later checked the progress-minimal. I then used a Scotch-Bright pad and had minimal success. Since I have 3 more to do, do you all have any suggestions so I'm not spending the rest of my life on the wheels?

Last edited by Dave Tracy; 01-27-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:22 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I did same thing......used Red/Brown Scothbrite,....didnt wait half hour between sessions.....

After all the paint and remover was pressure washed away...I used a FLITZ power ball
in my Milwaukie Cordless drill to shine the chrome
The following users liked this post:
Dave Tracy (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 10:41 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Dave,\
I have also run into the coating being rather stout.

I have also used the SAME stripper and let it sit l just like you and it takes several applications of the stripper to get it clean. I honestly did not sweat it due to I would put it on and leave it and come back and scrape off what I could and apply more. I also used small steel wire brushes to aid in getting the paint removed. I have also wiped off the chemical stripper and used my Dremel tool with the small round wire brush attachment to get more paint removed. Every little bit helps when it comes to this process that you can get removed.

I have also got off what I could and then apply electrical tape or the blue 3M vinyl masking tape on all the surfaces that I did not want to get damaged and put the wheel I my blast cabinet and blasted it with the aluminum oxide.....IF when I tested it in my blast cabinet that has glass beads in it that seemed to not do much at all. It all depended on how much paint I had removed prior to trying this step The aluminum oxide did not damage the aluminum to the point when I painted them back up you could ever tell it was blasted with aluminum oxide.

I can say that the process is very time consuming....even if I took a wheel and blasted it and not use chemical first. Blasting all those areas between the fins can take a long time to get them all right. ESPECIALLY KNOWING the level of what you want it to look like would be like that of what I would want it to look like....so...that just makes us our own worst critics....and properly prepping something can take US hours and hours to get it to where WE are happy with it.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Dave Tracy (01-27-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Stripping paint from original K-H wheels

Quick Reply: Stripping paint from original K-H wheels