Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Help - How to repair antenna fiberglass pocket ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 08:46 AM
lakerider57
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Help - How to repair antenna fiberglass pocket ?

I originally posted this in the C3 General forum but got no responses, so I'm re-posting here. (1980 corvette).

The antenna pocket is cracked because of the stress from the antenna, what is the proper way of fixing this ?

thanks,
Richard
Old 01-29-2019, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...this can be repaired and will more than likely need to be done from the underside. SO gaining access to it so it can be prepped is going to be important...so do not be surprised if you have to remove the rear 'Y' pipe exhaust for the rear and mufflers as an assembly.

I can see the body is stripped of paint so I am guessing you have somewhat of a 'clue' on how to do bodywork? Because typing out how to do it for someone who is not going to do it is waste of my time.

DUB.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:18 AM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

I just patched that hole on the 81 I am working on. I hate the look of external antennas. I am going to use the rear window heater as an antenna if I ever put a radio back in the car. If I add side pipes it will probably be so loud that a radio will be useless.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:04 AM
lakerider57
Racer

Hi DUB,

I have side exhausts now so no worry about the Y pipe. The rear bumper is also removed because I'm going to go with the fiberglass bumper from the vendor you recommended. So I currently have great access to that area from underneath.

I plan to clean the underside up with at rotating brush, but do I use some fiberglass mesh and some Evercoat 870 Vette Panel Adhesive on the underside ?

Any ideas would be helpful,

thanks,
Richard
Old 01-30-2019, 08:06 AM
lakerider57
Racer

I rebuilt my antenna, so I plan on going to stock again. I think the fix should be fairly easy if it's done right.

Richard
Old 01-30-2019, 08:57 AM
DUB
Race Director

YES...Vette Panel Adhesive CAN be used to do any reworking to your bonding seam I see exposed in your photo due to you are using it as a FILLER.

I am SUSPECT if the VPA would work in this crack due to that is a different type of repair IF you are only going to fill in that crack from the underside...and let the VPA ooze out and wipe it as needed. And I do not think that a rotating brush will or can prep that area well enough for a successful bond so the VPA will stick. It would be better prepped with something like 80 grit sandpaper adn scuff it up good.

YES...you can fill in the crack with the VPA ( which I know is a contradiction)...BUT...The area surrounding the crack on the underside of your antenna area may be requiring a layer or two of West Systems epoxy resin (105) and the hardener (206) and mat to laminate it up so you are better supporting the cracked area and NOT allowing all of the stress of the antenna being applied on the crack repair done strictly with the VPA.

YES...could you take some fiberglass mat and put the VPA in it and use that like mat and resin like I show and describe in the John Lingenfelter thread I started in the 'paint and body forum' here. I can not grantee that this crack would come back due not knowing if the amount of mat and VPA you applied on the bottom of this area of the antenna to make it stout again so you KNOW it will not crack. You can try this and then test it to see. You have nothing to lose but some time and product if it does not work for you. Finding out NOW is better than AFTER you have the car painted.

I know ...if my memory serves me correctly.... there is a support bracket that holds the antenna in its vertical position...so how you do it is up to you.

DUB
Old 01-30-2019, 09:04 AM
lakerider57
Racer

DUB,

Yes there is a support bracket underneath to help support the antenna but my guess when the antenna is extended it puts a lot of stress on that area.

I'll use the 80 grit sandpaper to clean up the underside. I'll also get the West Systems epoxy resin & mat to add some support to the underside.

I'll use some VPA on the top side to fill in the cracks.

Exactly the info I was looking for, thanks DUB

Richard
Old 01-30-2019, 09:35 AM
DUB
Race Director

Richard,
AS you already know.... PREP is EVERYTHING. So..if the area you apply anything on is not prepped correctly it will not stick for long.

I think l West Systems sells the resin and hardener in small cans...or at least I have seen it that way...even though I buy the resin in gallons and the hardener in quarts along with the correct mixing pumps.

When the antenna mast is up or down I do not think it realty matters AS LONG AS when the antenna is being installed....you have it so the special nut that holds it to the body PULLS the antenna to the underside where you repaired it and then POSSIBLY adjust or modify the lower support bracket to come up and hold it in that position......instead of....allowing the antenna to be PULLED DOWN to meet the lower support bracket and stressing your repair area due to it is under tension. . THAT is something I would PAY VERY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO!.

DUB
Old 01-31-2019, 07:46 AM
lakerider57
Racer

Thanks DUB,

I don't need much so I found this small kit on Amazon which has 105 Resin and 206 Hardener for $74

Amazon Amazon

Thanks again,
Richard

Last edited by lakerider57; 01-31-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:28 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I have seen it in pouches but this was a while ago.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:31 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I just looked and the packets are shown
Old 01-31-2019, 05:01 PM
lakerider57
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
I just looked and the packets are shown
Thanks Dave,

I found one on Amazon for $15.97, that'll save me some money:

Amazon Amazon

Richard
Old 01-31-2019, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Just make sure it is warmed up and NOT cold due to if the resin is cold it is like trying to work in a thick goo.....which does not work well. It is harder to saturate the fibers.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
lakerider57 (02-04-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Help - How to repair antenna fiberglass pocket ?

Quick Reply: Help - How to repair antenna fiberglass pocket ?