Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Rear Fenders on 81

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 05:42 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Rear Fenders on 81

I am working on my 81 and have gotten to the area right behind the doors and in front of the back tires. At the bottom this area sticks out about 3/8 of an inch beyond the door. This was all filled with seam filler. I am not sure if it is factory or not but it doesn't look like it has ever been damaged before. I got all of the bonding material out and found that there are actually 3 layers of fiberglass. So my question is, is this normal and with all of the bonding material removed it still sticks out a little more than the thickness of the outer skin when it is all pressed together. I am thinking about cutting the outer skin off about half way up and then cutting the middle layer out so the fender lines up with the door. The door gap at the front of the door looks good.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Without seeing photos of what it looked like before you separated the bond area ....it is hard to say for certain. I know you wrote it was 3/8" out....but where??? How far up did this panel stick out???

I do not know what you mean by: "Three layers of fiberglass". There is actually only 2 panels....not three if that is what you meant and like you mentioned as in regards to the first photo you posted. The outer quarter panel bonds to the inner 'B' pillar door jamb panel.

I have no idea what the second photo is supposed so show us.

You can do it how ever you see fit.

Has this car ever been in an accident????

Door/hinge post issues can cause this....because the lower angled portion of the quarter...is what it is...and it is made to set the how flush the section of the quarter panel that the rocker panel attaches to at the end. Which is WHY I stated it can be in the door or even the 'A' pillar due to the firewall can compress inwards that THUS throw off how the door fits to the quarter panel. Do not ask me how I KNOW this to be true. And if you stop and think about it...it would not take that much movement in the 'A' pillar/ hinge post areas to cause the end of the door to be different.

The 'angles of the dangles' as I call it ... begin to get crazy the further out you get from the hinge point...much like it does not take much movement in your hood to move it over at the end by the windshield to get it to fit and teh gap correct. So 1/64" movement at the hood hinges can make the end of the hood move 1/8" or so.

DUB
Old 02-26-2019, 07:26 PM
Simtech
Racer

The second photo is from the wheel well. On the right is the outer skin, then in the center is the trailing edge of the door jamb, then on the left is the fender liner. I have them slightly seperated with chisels. The fender was already separating at the bottom by the door. Sorry my pictures arn't great. Both sides of the car are almost exactly the same and I don't think it has been in an accident.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:48 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

The edge of this piece sits out where you have your chisel ,is this what you are calling your fender liner ?

Last edited by bazza77; 02-27-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...the photo of the part above is inside your wheel housing BUT the quarter panel does not bond to it directly.

The door jamb panel; is what is allowing the bottom of the quarter panel something to bond to.

DUB
Old 02-28-2019, 06:21 AM
Simtech
Racer

Yes that is what I am referring to as the fender liner. I think someone has worked on this area before. There was a lot of panel bonding material between each panel. After cleaning it out the rear quarter panel and the back of door line up pretty good now. Next I will bond it all back together. Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by bazza77
The edge of this piece sits out where you have your chisel ,is this what you are calling your fender liner ?

Old 02-28-2019, 05:05 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

FWIW my 69 had heaps of original bonding material plastered in the same area you talk about , it took ages to get those out ,(someone else had cut them before I got it.)

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Fenders on 81

Quick Reply: Rear Fenders on 81