Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

How do I choose a supplied air system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default How do I choose a supplied air system?

Made the decision to start learning painting. My thanks to DUB for patiently taking the time to talk me through basic buffing. I bought a nice Makita buffer kit altho have not put it to work yet.

Even tho I'm not ready for large-scale painting, I have a lot of small parts I've been bead blasting, shooting with etching primer and painting with 5-ball Krylon semi-flat from rattle cans. When it's 10 degrees out, that means last move before leaving the shop is turn off the heater, wrap something across my face, spray-bomb a bit, then get the hell out.

So since I have aspirations to painting, the smart thing seems to be getting a supplied-air system and drawing that air from outside, and using a full hood. I didn't turn up much using forum search altho maybe I missed something. What do y'all suggest? I see Eastwood sells a unit, and I'm also looking at this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supplied-fr...5.c10#viTabs_0

Doing my homework on this because I don't want to cut corners on my safety any more, I admit my present method is not recommended. Obviously I don't want to cheap out, but no point in paying way more for one set-up if another is just as good but cheaper.

Thanks for any pointers!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

As long as the face mask is positive pressure ( which it should be)....you will be fine due to with it being positive pressure...there is no way for mists and overspray to get sucked in when air is leaving the mask. That one seems to be fine in my opinion. You may want to see if they offer the clear plastic shields that you apply over the lens so any overspray that sticks to it can be easy taken care of by simply peeling off the clear plastic lens cover and putting a new one on.

I have a Willson one that the air compressor looks like the one in the link below....but I have a full face shield and NOT the Tyvek hood.

Now I do have a Tyvek hood similar to the one in the link below so I can use it when I sandblast.

I also have installed an hour meter on the booth where my switch is for the fresh air system.... so when I have my fresh air system working...it is running and recording those hours of use....so I knwo how many hours it has run when I do my maintenance on it....so there is no guessing how long it has run.

https://www.majorsafety.com/products...SABEgLV2vD_BwE

DUB
Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks DUB! Our son raced on dirt for 10 years so "tear-off's" are a great idea.

This one looks like the same hardware but a different head protection.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I personally do not like the full hoods. I wear a head sock and prefer the full face shield like the one you posted in the first post. But...I guess it is a matter of personal preference.

I feel that the full hood can hold and collect trash and overspray over time and when leaning over the car to paint the hood and rear clip....something can fall off of it while painting.

Seeing how I use a fresh new head sock and new Tyvek suit and gloves....I am generally not too concerned about residual trash particles that are on them due to they are new and not beign re-used.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Railroadman (03-07-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 02:48 PM
Blue71droptop
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just purchased this system lightly used on e-bay with a bunch of tear offs included.
Felt much better paying $240 than the full new price.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I choose a supplied air system?

Quick Reply: How do I choose a supplied air system?