Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

1973 Birdcage Inspection / Repairs

Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 PM
ScottEwine
CF Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1973 Birdcage Inspection / Repairs

Good Afternoon All,

I originally posted this in the C3 General forum, but I think it belongs here - moderators feel free to remove or move my other post.

I am wrapping up the work on the frame/suspension/drive train for my 1973 LS swap and I am turning to the body. I bought this as a project that had been completely taken apart, the frame had been blasted and painted and the body was on a dolly. The frame is in good shape, but there is some rust on the birdcage, in particular on the door sill channels around the front and rear body mounts. I plan on repairing these with the inserts from Paragon: https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...insert-lh.aspx The door pillars seem to be in good shape, along with the area at the rear of the channel where it connects to the rest of the birdcage. I have not taken out the windshield yet or any other trim around there to see what that looks like but from the inside it looks like it is not bad. The doors had a lot of rust and I have bought replacements for them. I have attached several photos of the birdcage, let me know if you see anything that looks suspect or if there are any more pictures that would be of use to make sure I get everything fixed correctly.

In the other post, bazza77 recommended the 4 corners that are also available from Paragon, e.g. https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...insert-lh.aspx and https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...cement-lh.aspx . From what I gather, those are meant to be used as inserts, i.e. I grind out enough of the metal to get them to mate to the existing birdcage and then weld them in place, is that the idea? I will be pulling the windshield in a couple days to get a better look at the surround, but from what I can see that looks pretty good.

I have a wire welder and plan on doing whatever it takes!

Thanks,

Scott

Old 03-24-2019, 06:02 PM
bazza77
CF Senior Member

Received 240 Likes on 230 Posts

Have you got the screen out yet ? Very interested to see what's hidden,

And yes those inserts are for strengthening ,if needed .(depends on how much original metal is left after sandblasting it )

you need to be looking at taking the fibreglass panel off in the rear wheel wells too , that will give you access to do repairs .
The following users liked this post:
ScottEwine (04-06-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:10 AM
hcallaway
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts

Scott I sent you a PM
The following users liked this post:
ScottEwine (04-06-2019)

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: