Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

1968 and Gelcoat

Old 04-03-2019, 03:33 PM
twinpack
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 1968 and Gelcoat

First off. I will be gelcoating my car. My question is as follows,
My car was ar 2nd Generation Restoration in Walpole MA about 5 years ago. I had to pull it out. I've been doing the work myself. I am getting ready to put the body back on the chassis. The back half of the car was primed at 2nd Generation, I have sanded it but wonder do I need to completely remove all the primer. It is epoxy primer. Ther was very little body work needed. I hate to remove the primer if not necessary. Standard at 2nd Generation is well known for his quality work. We did discuss the gelcoat . Strip it back to glass or ok to gelcoat over it?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:18 AM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Received 2,513 Likes on 2,180 Posts

For what it is worth:

I ONLY apply gelcoat on BARE fiberglass with nothing else on it other than Vette Panel Adhesive in the repair areas where it was used.

And IF mat and resin were used in a repair. I skim coat over it with VPA.

But that is how I do it but do as you wish.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
twinpack (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 11:29 AM
twinpack
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Hope you are feeling a bit better
Old 04-04-2019, 10:08 PM
derekd8915
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you plan on leaving the epoxy primer on and spray polyester gelcoat over it, I would at least spray a vinylester primer over the epoxy.
https://www.fibreglast.com/product/d...er/mold-making
Old 04-04-2019, 10:54 PM
20mercury
CF Senior Member

Received 204 Likes on 186 Posts
Default my 2 cents,

Originally Posted by twinpack View Post
First off. I will be gelcoating my car. My question is as follows,
My car was ar 2nd Generation Restoration in Walpole MA about 5 years ago. I had to pull it out. I've been doing the work myself. I am getting ready to put the body back on the chassis. The back half of the car was primed at 2nd Generation, I have sanded it but wonder do I need to completely remove all the primer. It is epoxy primer. Ther was very little body work needed. I hate to remove the primer if not necessary. Standard at 2nd Generation is well known for his quality work. We did discuss the gelcoat . Strip it back to glass or ok to gelcoat over it?
My 2 cents, I think I would try to figure out the brand of epoxy primer and call them to see what they tell you. Or you could call whoever you plan to buy gelcoat from and ask them?

Last edited by 20mercury; 04-04-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:25 AM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Received 2,513 Likes on 2,180 Posts

AS per what is written on the product information page for the product linked in post # 4.

QUOTE: For epoxy, follow the steps above - however, note that epoxy laminating systems require a tack free surface. Increased heat up to 120 F will speed this process. Remember the adhesion comes from the epoxy. Test the bond between the primer and your epoxy blend to assure good adhesion.

So as I was told when I called....as long as the epoxy has cured and can be sanded....the VE primer would work...BUT I am not advising it due to as I wrote. I do not do it that way. But do as you see fit.
DUB

Last edited by DUB; 04-08-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: