Notices
Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Pop up Ding on my Z51 spoiler

Old 04-05-2019, 10:40 PM
06blackvert
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pop up Ding on my Z51 spoiler

Hey guys, I noticed today as I was walking past my car that I have a small pop up ding on the rear spoiler on the right side or passenger side of the car. It looks like it could have been caused by the screw on the wicker bill. It doesn't look real bad but it is annoying the crap out of me. My question is do you think a PDR guy could get anywhere with it? Maybe tapping it once heated with a heat gun? I am open to any suggestions. I did take that bolt out of the wicker bill to see if it would have any impact but it did not. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:53 AM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Received 2,513 Likes on 2,180 Posts

A very good photo showing the problem always helps.

The dent removal guy can not do anything with issue in composite parts. The dent removal system works on metal panels which can be massaged back out. I know this due to I have done dent removal without painting on metal cars.

With the bolt being removed...the composite is still holding that shape and it may take time and heat to get it to relax back out again.....OR maybe it will never come back out due to the structural stress that gas been put on that area of the part.

Once again...without a good photo...it is hard to say any more due to the part may need to be removed....heated up and worked back into shape...then reinstalled.

I do not think I would tap on it when heated....I would apply a constant pressure. And if that is not possible to how it is mounted....then it needs to come off.

Not really knowing what the spoiler is made out of is also a problem due to it can be plastic or hand laid fiberglass, SMC or carbon fiber. Never know now-a days on what has been added to these caes....so assuming stuff...can cause problems.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 04-06-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: