Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

replacing door locks

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 08:02 AM
frenchy67
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing door locks

I need to replace my door lock cylinders and every thing i see has a long shaft and look nothing like my OEM . Any ideas at after market replacements or do i need to go to GM to purchase . It does have the theft system on the car (factory) Thanks for the help
Old 04-12-2019, 10:31 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

What is the year model????

Post photos of what you are trying to install.

DUB
Old 04-12-2019, 10:55 AM
frenchy67
4th Gear

Default door locks

1982 door locks . Bottom is stock and top is napa replacement . No similar parts and paws dont swap over .
Old 04-13-2019, 08:27 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Thanks for the photo.

The lock cylinders need to be purchased from a Corvette supplier specifically. One of the supplier is Willcox. Below is the link to the lock set you need.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ic-locks-79-82

When you use them...re-use the pawl and 'E" clip that GM provided to secure the pawl IF in the kit it comes with other types of clips. USE THE 'E' CLIP...and also the FACTORY 'C' CLIP that holds the lock cylinder to the door with the electric trigger switch made onto it.

JUST BE AWARE When you slide the electrical alarm switch OFF of the original lock cylinder there is s VERY SPECIAL plastic provision insert that sometimes stays stuck onto the keyed shaft of the lock cylinder and it MUST be CAREFULLY removed and reinstalled into the switch or your alarm system WILL NOT WORK./ DO NOT SWAP these plastic provisions from one side of the car to the other due to they are specifically keyed for THAT SIDE and the system will not work. if you do swap them from side to side

ALSO...make sure you position this electrical switch on the back of the lock cylinder JUST LIKE GM did it due to it effects how this switch works.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 04-13-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 AM
frenchy67
4th Gear

Default door locks

Originally Posted by DUB
Thanks for the photo.

The lock cylinders need to be purchased from a Corvette supplier specifically. One of the supplier is Willcox. Below is the link to the lock set you need.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ic-locks-79-82

When you use them...re-use the pawl and 'E" clip that GM provided to secure the pawl IF in the kit it comes with other types of clips. USE THE 'E' CLIP...and also the FACTORY 'C' CLIP that holds the lock cylinder to the door with the electric trigger switch made onto it.

JUST BE AWARE When you slide the electrical alarm switch OFF of the original lock cylinder there is s VERY SPECIAL plastic provision insert that sometimes stays stuck onto the keyed shaft of the lock cylinder and it MUST be CAREFULLY removed and reinstalled into the switch or your alarm system WILL NOT WORK./ DO NOT SWAP these plastic provisions from one side of the car to the other due to they are specifically keyed for THAT SIDE and the system will not work. if you do swap them from side to side

ALSO...make sure you position this electrical switch on the back of the lock cylinder JUST LIKE GM did it due to it effects how this switch works.

DUB
thank you for the great information . I will contact them

Get notified of new replies

To replacing door locks

Quick Reply: replacing door locks