Notices
Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Steering Column coatings

Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 PM
Dave Tracy
CF Senior Member

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Steering Column coatings

In the process of freshening up the steering column prior to the install on my '64. The steering hub, upper jacket beneath it on the steering mast jacket and the steering column collar that attaches to the dash are black in my car and chipped. I cleaned them up with lacquer thinner in an attempt to remove the paint. These pieces seem to be anodized to match my interior color. Does anyone know if this is true and how many of you merely painted these pieces? Thank you all in advance.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:38 AM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Received 2,513 Likes on 2,180 Posts

I do not think these parts were anodized. But that is what I think. I clean them up and paint them. I do know that some of the old coatings GM used really do not come off fast with lacquer thinner and take a while to get it to soften. and come off. Sometimes the lacquer thinner does nothing die to the paint was baked on.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Dave Tracy (04-13-2019)

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: