Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Knock Off Wheel Refurbishing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Default Knock Off Wheel Refurbishing

Refurbishing my wheels for my '64. The history on the wheels is they are original K-H for a '65 that I bought in the early '80s. Currently, I am putting things back together on my body on restoration. I wanted the wheels to be cosmetically correct for my '64 which meant there was no gray paint in the center of the wheel. The original paint was chipping off in places so its removal was eminent. Initially, I used aircraft paint stripper followed by media blasting. As always, you were right, DUB, about the paint being tough. This turned out to be very time consuming after 2 wheels so I just blasted the last two. I believe just blasting worked the best for me. I then took sand paper, starting with 150 grit, to polish the rim and the fins. I progressed the grit to 400 then used OO then OOOO steel wool. Here are my results I wanted to share. I am not looking for platitudes, I just wanted to share my process if anyone is interested.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:44 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Compliments ARE in order here to CLEARLY show that if time and attention to detail are employed.....results can be quite spectacular.

Yes...I have done enough of these type of wheels in the past that the time needed to do them can be quite staggering. So much surface area to deal with. Trying to get every fin and every slot to be all the same. It is a test on perseverance. So easy to stop half way through and do a half @ss job. I know I have to stop and walk away from it for a while to clear my head and do something else for a while and then get back on them.

GREAT JOB!!!!!!

DUB
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
Dave Tracy (04-14-2019), dcarr (11-29-2019)

Quick Reply: Knock Off Wheel Refurbishing