Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint Choices - Ease Of Use & Color Matching

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 PM
gtpvette
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Paint Choices - Ease Of Use & Color Matching

Hi all. A bit different project for the Corvette forum. This is a Scion FRS that I swapped a 325HP GM 3.6L V6 into. With that had to cut a hole in the hood to make room for the motor so made a bolt on high rise. Also,,, much wider rims/tires so I'm adding bolt on flares.

I want to paint the hood scoop and flares body color which is red,, would like to avoid blending if possible. The thought being is if I have to blend the hood and 4 fenders,,, might as well repaint the whole thing. Which might still happen.

Car is a 2015 and has spent the last two years in the shade so might have some fading but hopefully not too much. Haven't selected a supplier yet but there's a PPG shop close by. Looking at Deltron base/clear. Any comments as to that choice?? Something better?? This will be sprayed in my work shop.

As for matching color, would/should the supplier just go with the Scion color code,,, or do some have the ability to match better via a panel, bumper or gas cap cover ??? Does this get it closer??

As always,,,, thanks guys!

Old 05-06-2019, 08:56 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Tinting the color is more than likely going to be REQUIRED due to 'butt matching' the color.

Due to you not wanting to blend the color...can make this endeavor a very laborious one especially fi you have an good eye for color and can see where the color mix needs to be tinted to make it right.

In the thread below you can start at POST #48 to see how tinted the color was tinted for these bumpers.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body/4101056-dub-101-rigid-fiberglass-bumper-installation-lessons-applied-
results-inside.html

Using the factory color code means nothing BUT is a good place to start due to the person adding the pigments needs to get them RIGHT or the color will be off ....especially when mixing small volumes of paint where a few drops less of one toner or more of another makes the color change when trying to match an aged paint.....or even a new car paint job.

DUB

Quick Reply: Paint Choices - Ease Of Use & Color Matching