Old 05-20-2019, 07:20 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 171 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default 67" vert rear body Measurement

Hello all,
Ok, I need the reference measurement before I start to fit/bond my rear tail lamp panel on. If someone can give me the rough distance from the bottom of the fuel door opening to the most rear part of the tail lamp panel I would appreciate it. The assembly manual only gives me the centerline to the outside edge of the upper deck.In my picture I need the dimension along my tape line but to the end of the tail lamp panel which is not shown. Thanks for your help. By the way, my car is a 1967 convertible and the rough measurement I come up with is about 16 1/2" while holding the panel by hand.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

With the stainless fuel door bezel trim installed....and measuring down to the end of the upper deck panel I get 16 1/2" on the car I have in my shop.

It really does not matter that much as long as the taillight panel fits good to the quarters and upper deck panel WITH the bonding strip having a good wide surface area to bond to with a gap between the panels.....because.....GM did not worry about that because they use shims for your bumper mounts where they attach to the rear crossmember on the frame.

My MAIN concern is the bumper mounts an how they fit....so when the bumpers are installed...they fit flush against the backside of the taillight panel so whet bolts are tighten...the taillight panel does not crack due to not being installed correctly....OR....the bumper brackets not being modified or tweaked to they fit flat against the backside of the taillight panel.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 05-21-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:48 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 171 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Dub,
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I have no reference point as the rear of the fenders are damaged prior to my purchase of the car. Also there are no bonding strips in the rear for reference. I have aftermarket GTS 1" wider quarters and a Corvette image tail light panel. I also bought all NOS factory bonds strips. I understand it's a cluster of parts but it's what I have. Someone before me pop riveted a used tail lamp panel on the car (notice the holes in the rear deck panel) without using a bonding strip. I have repaired the damage to the rear deck panel, fixing the centerline and some missing chunks at the edge of the deck panel where I'm trying to get it close before attachment.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-23-2019, 06:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Sent you a PM

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 67" vert rear body Measurement

Quick Reply: 67" vert rear body Measurement