Notices
Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Which car is the fastest?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 AM
robz
CF Senior Member

Interesting discussion to me. I've stated where I stand and it seems like most people agree with et being the measure of the faster car but,

I can tell you that for the 1/4 mile record books, there a decent amount of people who will say the fastest car is the one with the highest mph like Jay(cyclerage23) mentioned.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:24 AM
run4cover

Originally Posted by Capthuff View Post
Street racing is for dumbass punks...

Real racing is at the track - with a light and R/T counts...

Of course my R/Ts suck, but I'm practicing.
Well..your idea and my idea of street racing are two different things...when you hear "street race", you (and the majority) probably think busy highway, or stupid kids weaving in and out of traffic.... Where I live, we have 5 mile stretches of 4-lane highway, and no traffic...on top of that, I'm 36, so I've been around.

Not that I encourage or condone street racing, but I have done it, and will continue to do so as long as the only person's safety I'm risking is my own (and the retard racing me...LOL).

Real racing is at the track for some people...there are some of us who don't care about running a number(or live a reasonable distance to a track), we build fast cars. I've seen plenty of those "real racers" get talked into a street race and lose real big amounts of money.

Anyways, back to the topic....quick ET's are for those who can't build horsepower....high trap speeds are for us who can make alot of horsepower, but don't care about a number
Old 01-06-2010, 12:32 AM
run4cover

Originally Posted by robz View Post
Round 3. Lets keep it as simple as possible.(Not responsible for any headaches.)

Who gets the title of fastest car?

Rank the order for your "Fast" list.

car#[email protected]
car#[email protected]
car#[email protected]
car#[email protected]
car#[email protected]
Remember nowhere does it say quickest.

*If the majority says car #3 takes the title of fastest car then I'm looking into a turbo.lol
*I would hate to think that car#1 gets 5th place.
every car on that list (with the exception of #3) is making the same horsepower...it's a matter of sixty foot, shift points, or some other driver error that seperates them (assuming they are all the same type of car)....#3 is an absolute monster, and is by far the fastest...that's sport bike 1/4 mph...actually, about 8 mph faster than my zx10r, and only 2mph slower than my zx10r on the bottle...LOL...can I have the mod list of that car, so I can do it to my C5 too!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:02 AM
LS1LT1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by run4cover View Post
....high trap speeds are for us who can make alot of horsepower, but don't care about a number
....or perhaps it's for those who have absolutely no clue (be it due to lack of driving ability and/or lack of knowledge about tire/suspension specifications) how to properly get that horsepower to the ground from a dead stop.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 AM
USAFZ06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Capthuff View Post
Street racing is for 36 year old dumbass punks...
Real racing is at the track - with a light and R/T counts...

Of course my R/Ts suck, but I'm practicing.

fixed

Run4cover, if you dont care about a number or have a goal on a track why are you in the performance results section? Go back to SUUUPRAH FORUMS I cant believe you said drag racing is for guys that cant make power...my bet is half the guys in this section would walk all over you on the street. Your theory basically says you only care to do a half *** build...much easier and cheaper to make big numbers with very little drivetrain building and do a few highway pulls than it is to make a car fast like the guys in this section do
Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
99ZX9R
CF Senior Member

I think most of us at some point in our lives have engaged in some form of street racing. I don't initiate, but at 39 y/o still find it difficult sometimes to turn down a challenge (conditions permitting). But I could never argue that the so called street racers (or their cars) are superior to those who are serious enough to put the time, energy and expense into taking it to the track to 'run a number'.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
WKMCD
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by USAFZ06 View Post
fixed

Run4cover, if you dont care about a number or have a goal on a track why are you in the performance results section? Go back to SUUUPRAH FORUMS I cant believe you said drag racing is for guys that cant make power...my bet is half the guys in this section would walk all over you on the street. Your theory basically says you only care to do a half *** build...much easier and cheaper to make big numbers with very little drivetrain building and do a few highway pulls than it is to make a car fast like the guys in this section do
I've got probably 50-60k miles on road courses (2 wheels) and have had a few of my street friends who thought they were fast come out on the track. They have absolutely no idea what it takes to be fast on a track. I would lap them in 5 or 6 laps.

If you've spent time on a track of any kind, street racing of any form just seems squirrely and stupid. Sometimes it takes a strong sense of aftermath not to engage some asshat in a turbo'd Nissan but I'm still alive to tell my on track stories and haven't killed innocents street racing.

BTW: 427 going it next month.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:27 PM
[email protected]
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by WKMCD View Post
I've got probably 50-60k miles on road courses (2 wheels) and have had a few of my street friends who thought they were fast come out on the track. They have absolutely no idea what it takes to be fast on a track. I would lap them in 5 or 6 laps.

If you've spent time on a track of any kind, street racing of any form just seems squirrely and stupid. Sometimes it takes a strong sense of aftermath not to engage some asshat in a turbo'd Nissan but I'm still alive to tell my on track stories and haven't killed innocents street racing.

BTW: 427 going it next month.
This is all opinion based of course. If you spend all of your time getting the car to hook at a good track you will get murdered on the street by someone who has spent time getting their cars to hook on a regular road. While street racing is illegal and not necessarily one of the most intelligent things to do, there are people that know how to street race properly and responsibly i.e. being on an abandoned strip with the ability to see any form of traffic and only going out to make a pass when no one is coming. While most of you would still frown upon this, the only difference between that type of race and racing at the track is that one is legal and the other is not. Both make sure they are in a safe environment, both are set on making good passes and both are taking risks. Just because you race at a track doesn't mean it is safe. How many professional drag racers have died even with all of the required NHRA safety accessories?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:30 PM
[email protected]
Former Vendor

Here is another scenario for you rob.

Car #1 runs a 9.98 @138
Car #2 runs a 9.98 @150

Both cars have the same reaction time and 60'. Which car is faster?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Roostertail
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by run4cover View Post
Not that I encourage or condone street racing, but I have done it, and will continue to do so as long as the only person's safety I'm risking is my own (and the retard racing me...LOL).

Real racing is at the track for some people...there are some of us who don't care about running a number(or live a reasonable distance to a track), we build fast cars. I've seen plenty of those "real racers" get talked into a street race and lose real big amounts of money.

Anyways, back to the topic....quick ET's are for those who can't build horsepower....high trap speeds are for us who can make alot of horsepower, but don't care about a number
Guess who's going to jail when the retard crashes and kills himself?

As far as drag racing is concerned, it doesn't matter what your trap speed is, but who gets to the finish line first....

Nick
Old 01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
clemsondave
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Roostertail View Post
Guess who's going to jail when the retard crashes and kills himself?

As far as drag racing is concerned, it doesn't matter what your trap speed is, but who gets to the finish line first....

Nick
Trick question?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Ruthless Racing
CF Member

Originally Posted by ZZOOM06 View Post
I'll take #2 any day of the week! Trap speed doesn't win races, ET does!

Jimbo
Old 01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
98vettedave
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZO Fast View Post
This is all opinion based of course. If you spend all of your time getting the car to hook at a good track you will get murdered on the street by someone who has spent time getting their cars to hook on a regular road. While street racing is illegal and not necessarily one of the most intelligent things to do, there are people that know how to street race properly and responsibly i.e. being on an abandoned strip with the ability to see any form of traffic and only going out to make a pass when no one is coming. While most of you would still frown upon this, the only difference between that type of race and racing at the track is that one is legal and the other is not. Both make sure they are in a safe environment, both are set on making good passes and both are taking risks. Just because you race at a track doesn't mean it is safe. How many professional drag racers have died even with all of the required NHRA safety accessories?
Far "fewer" drivers with the required NHRA safety equipment are killed in a crash while racing in comparison to yahoo street racer that die on a routine basis when a crash is involved.

For all of you street racers that think ET is not important,I have news for you. All races are determined by elapsed time unless your racing to infinity,thus the race would never end. Just because the ET is not visible (post numbers) the determining factor is always time when declaring the winner of a given race regardless if that race is from a dead start(point A to point B) or from a 50 mph roll to 150 mph...to achieve that goal "first" the elapsed time (quickest run) is always the winner.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
[email protected]
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 98vettedave View Post
Far "fewer" drivers with the required NHRA safety equipment are killed in a crash while racing in comparison to yahoo street racer that die on a routine basis when a crash is involved.
Do you have actual numbers comparing people that are "real" street racers dying in wrecks as compared to track racers or are you just going off of assumption? And the ricers weaving in and out of traffic do not count as real street racers just to let you know.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
98vettedave
CF Senior Member

Do you have actual numbers comparing people that are "real" street racers dying in wrecks as compared to track racers or are you just going off of assumption? And the ricers weaving in and out of traffic do not count as real street racers just to let you know.
The NHRA has numerous heavy (serious) crashes in any given drag racing season,and seldom is there a fatality recorded. How many street racers do you think would survive such a crash? I know of five street racers and three bystanders that have died in the last two years in the Detroit area alone. If you were to relate that number of fatalities to the entire nation,that two year period of time would far exceed the number of fatalities that the NHRA has recorded for it's entire existence.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
[email protected]
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 98vettedave View Post
How many street racers do you think would survive such a crash?
It depends on where they are racing at. Like I said, there are many places where street racers have somewhat safe spots that don't have traffic or heavy forestry and whatnot. I think we can both agree on that either way, street or track, the racer is taking a very large risk.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
LS1LT1
CF Senior Member

Here is another scenario for you rob.

Car #1 runs a 9.98 @138
Car #2 runs a 9.98 @150

Both cars have the same reaction time and 60'. Which car is faster?
Well now, that depends on what the last number (the 'x' in this case: 9.98x) is I suppose.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 PM
4DRUSH
CF Senior Member

It depends on where they are racing at. Like I said, there are many places where street racers have somewhat safe spots that don't have traffic or heavy forestry and whatnot. I think we can both agree on that either way, street or track, the racer is taking a very large risk.
Nope, can't agree. The track is much, much safer.

Show me a street race that has fire equipment and on duty EMT(s).

Last edited by 4DRUSH; 01-07-2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2010, 11:41 PM
[email protected]
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH View Post
Nope, can't agree. The track is much, much safer.

Show me a street race that has fire equipment and on duting EMT(s).
That would be against forum rules.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:43 AM
STEALTH 99 C5
CF Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with saying a car is faster if it has a higher MPH , the NHRA recognizes it in the pro classes , and if they validate it then there's nothing wrong with claiming a car is faster due to the trap speed .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which car is the fastest?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: