Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Dumbest thing I ever did

Old 09-16-2013, 10:01 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Dumbest thing I ever did

Had to share this:
I had the Black Brick down for 6 weeks. My diff went out, making a horrible racket all of a sudden. I waited 3 weeks on a friend to show up and fix it (for money) which never happed, so I had to do it myself.
While I waited on him, I decided to work on my air intake and made an insulated box, since my air comes directly in from the head light area. I stuffed a t-shirt in the tube to keep critters out since the Brick sits outside. Any way, diff just needed some SS shims.... the cast OEM one busted in 3 pieces and wedged between the axle tube and axle...hince, the squalling noise. Put in new calipers, brake line & shoes and made my air box (pic below). Finally went for a test drive. All good, seemed to run fine. Went WOT once for a couple seconds.

Forward to next weekend...I get her out early in the morning for a WOT run. Pegged out the speed-o and let off the gas. Throttle was stuck wide open.., had to kill the ignition to get her stopped. I was like WTF ???? Cable broke ?? I open the hood and checked the TB. It had a terrible crunch feel and I thought the blade axis had broken. Having no tools, I used a penny to get the clamp off to look at the TB. When I pulled the tube off I found my grey T-shrt sucked into the TB. I had forgotten it was in there. I have no clue how it was even getting enough air to run.

Last edited by pit-man; 09-16-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 753 Likes on 511 Posts

Wow pretty crazy.
I had a blonde moment last year pouring ATF fluid in my truck motor at a gas station.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Not dumb at all ... at our house, it's a wonder things like that don't happen more. I recently misplaced a tool and couldn't find it for the life of me. Found it under my wife's hood from when I was changing plugs. Don't know how long it rode in there and who knows the damage it could have caused.

Just being a weekend "mechanic" (HS math teacher by trade) and having to keep up with two daily drivers, the RV, Corvette, and trailer ... we made a plexiglass "bulletin board" for the garage with permanent lines drawn on the back and each vehicle having a couple lines. I write on the front with a dry erase marker such things (remember to remove rag) and then erase things when I'm done.

We're getting old at our house and too many things to keep up to try and remember it all.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:45 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 123sugey
Wow pretty crazy.
I had a blonde moment last year pouring ATF fluid in my truck motor at a gas station.
Wow...I haven't done that YET

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
Not dumb at all ... at our house, it's a wonder things like that don't happen more. I recently misplaced a tool and couldn't find it for the life of me. Found it under my wife's hood from when I was changing plugs. Don't know how long it rode in there and who knows the damage it could have caused.

Just being a weekend "mechanic" (HS math teacher by trade) and having to keep up with two daily drivers, the RV, Corvette, and trailer ... we made a plexiglass "bulletin board" for the garage with permanent lines drawn on the back and each vehicle having a couple lines. I write on the front with a dry erase marker such things (remember to remove rag) and then erase things when I'm done.

We're getting old at our house and too many things to keep up to try and remember it all.

I bet everyone has a story they won't tell on themselves...
I like to laugh at myself, I don't care !
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Come on pit-man this was a truck not your vette

I made a 11.34@123.6 pass in my truck hurrying through the pit wheel swap and found that I had only 2 lugnuts per each rear wheel in my truck on Drag Week last year
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoeyG
Come on pit-man this was a truck not your vette

I made a 11.34@123.6 pass in my truck hurrying through the pit wheel swap and found that I had only 2 lugnuts per each rear wheel in my truck on Drag Week last year
Dang, that's another one I haven't done. However I did leave one front wheel loose on my 65 Nova. I felt that the first time I hit the brakes. I took my buddy for a ride in it with the passenger seat not bolted down and threw him in the back. A 513 gear tends to do that,,,lol
Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

My first car was a 66 Chevelle with SB & 5:13's. killed lots of big block cars. They are awesome hehe
Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

My first car was a 66 Chevelle with SB & 5:13's. killed lots of big block cars. They are awesome hehe
Yeah, first gear lasted what seemed about 10 feet...

I loved the 66 Chevelle. A friend had a 375 hp 396, solid lifter motor. I used to adjust the valves for him all the time. Had a rear plug impossible to reach.

I had a 57 Chevy, 65 Nova, 66 Nova SS, 68 Camaro, 3 Kawasaki 500's, 65 Vette Vert, 71 Camaro, a Sportster and 76/80/85/92/97 and 2003 Vettes.

Had many more cars and trucks that were just every day beaters

Last edited by pit-man; 09-16-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:53 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

As soon as you mentioned the t shirt in the first sentence, I knew what you did.

Glad you didn't have anything worse happen.

I once failed to properly torque a bolt in the forward upper control arm on the left rear of my 01 Z06...

Some of you know the outcome of that oversight...
Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 AM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think most of us who turn our own wrenches have had what I call a "brain fart" a few times. One time when I had my differential out for a gear swap and get it all back together for a test drive I hear this horrible banging sound coming from the back of the car so I get it back into the shop and put it up on the lift and find I forgot to tighten the top bolts on both rear shocks! It happens to the best of us!

Jimbo
Old 09-30-2013, 11:16 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to take off my alternator to change the drivers side valve cover gasket last week, and in the process forgot to put the belt back on. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the volts were only reading a little over 11, then tried to turn the wheel when it hit me lol. Never felt so stupid working on a car.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 808EB03Z06
I had to take off my alternator to change the drivers side valve cover gasket last week, and in the process forgot to put the belt back on. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the volts were only reading a little over 11, then tried to turn the wheel when it hit me lol. Never felt so stupid working on a car.
I bet people on this site have some funny stories they don't want to talk about..
Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Rookie!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
Rookie!
"I am not a rookie"...I just work like one.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:32 AM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Getting ready for MIR in Nobember

Getting Pfadt drag coil overs, GZ vacuum pump, line lock, new RPS clutch and a tune now !!! 9's NA here I come !!!

Anyone else getting ready ?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:43 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Getting Pfadt drag coil overs, GZ vacuum pump, line lock, new RPS clutch and a tune now !!! 9's NA here I come !!!

Anyone else getting ready ?
I am all ready.
You will love the vacuum pump if you have any blowby at all. I have the GZ on my Silverado...awesome little pump. Just set the vacuum at 12 or lower as needed. I maxed mine out and it is just right. No blowby and no oil loss.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:49 AM
R6cowboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These "blond moments" happen to the best of us. I know I've had my fair share. Just a couple months ago a friend and I were out on a 90 mile test drive right after installing a new TDP trans in the C5. As soon as we pull the car back in my shop, I noticed the wrench and wheel lock socket resting on a stool, then realized I had forgotten to torque the lugnuts. Thank God nothing bad happened.

Get notified of new replies

To Dumbest thing I ever did

Old 11-24-2013, 11:19 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
These "blond moments" happen to the best of us. I know I've had my fair share. Just a couple months ago a friend and I were out on a 90 mile test drive right after installing a new TDP trans in the C5. As soon as we pull the car back in my shop, I noticed the wrench and wheel lock socket resting on a stool, then realized I had forgotten to torque the lugnuts. Thank God nothing bad happened.
I did that too a long time ago. The front wheel on my 66 Nova started to shimmy and I pulled over to find the lugs loose.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Devilish34
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised I havent done this yet lol
Old 11-24-2013, 08:28 PM
R6cowboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dumbest thing I've ever done by a long shot had to be back in the mid '90s to my first car, an '89 Taurus. I was 16 mind you. A group of friends distracted me and I had wondered off for the afternoon in the middle of an oil change. Upon return in the evening I had forgotten that earlier I inserted the oil drain plug and lowered the car but not yet had filled it back up with oil. Took off in the car and not 10 miles later I was on the side of the road scratching my head why the engine had suddenly seized up. Thank God it was a Ford...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dumbest thing I ever did