Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

winter project- driveline upgrades.. what to do?? Help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:07 PM
frZ
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default winter project- driveline upgrades.. what to do?? Help.

Here in a couple weeks, mid december ill be on 2 week vacation from work... perfect time to work on the car I am looking for advice on what is needed to have a solid driveline while staying somewhat on a "budget". My car is a m6, the driveline is currently 100% stock. The car makes 426rwhp, 406rwtq, i would like to be able to spray a 150 shot eventually. The trans and differential have 116k miles on them, trans shifts great however it has slightly grinded going into third at high rpms a few times. Possibly due to the old weak ls7 clutch in it? and yes i will be installing a new rxt twin disk.

anyways what do you guys recommend? i was thinking at least i would have the trans freshened up in stock trim.. find a 3 rib diff, get a trans/rear brace and maybe a solid mount? or is the RPM stage 2 stuff the only way to go if you want to make around 550-600 rwhp? the car is 50% street 50% track.. mainly just make passes on fridays nights for fun, im not out there power shifting or dumping the clutch at redline....... yet lol.

also on a side note, i was looking at getting the qa1 single adjustable shocks on all 4 corners to try and enhance weight transfer.. opinions on this? the car will most likely be running a 26x11.50x16 et street bias ply tire. thanks in advance for your help.. i need to figure out what to do and get all the stuff ordered in the next week or so (without braking my bank that is)
Old 12-01-2016, 04:12 AM
Frame77
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

open it up, check synchronizer rings and the plastic rings holding the reverse gear. personally I think the mn6 can handle the power.

also at that mileage check bushings, wheel hubs and tie rod ends. you'll remove the control arms and tie rod ends anyway so why not mount poly bushings while you're there.

Last edited by Frame77; 12-01-2016 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:42 PM
frZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Frame77
open it up, check synchronizer rings and the plastic rings holding the reverse gear. personally I think the mn6 can handle the power.

also at that mileage check bushings, wheel hubs and tie rod ends. you'll remove the control arms and tie rod ends anyway so why not mount poly bushings while you're there.
good to hear your confident in the stock trans too. Replacing the bushing and all that is a real good idea I didn't think about at first! Thanks a lot!!
Old 12-02-2016, 02:34 AM
Frame77
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and since you're doing the clutch dont forget to check the driveshaft bearings and joints.
mine makes noise 2k miles after I fixed a transmission leak, a lot of work I have to do twice to replace a 30$ part.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:34 PM
frZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Frame77
and since you're doing the clutch dont forget to check the driveshaft bearings and joints.
mine makes noise 2k miles after I fixed a transmission leak, a lot of work I have to do twice to replace a 30$ part.
yeah I planned on doing that also. Rpm has a rebuild kit for like 400$
Old 12-07-2016, 07:53 PM
kirk tarrant
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm doing the same.
thinking its a good idea too up grade the plastic shiftier fork pads to brass ?
Old 12-08-2016, 10:27 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by kirk tarrant
i'm doing the same.
thinking its a good idea too up grade the plastic shiftier fork pads to brass ?
Yes...

Get notified of new replies

To winter project- driveline upgrades.. what to do?? Help.

Quick Reply: winter project- driveline upgrades.. what to do?? Help.