Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

4l60E first gear ratio - anyone changed to 2.84

Old 01-01-2018, 04:51 PM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 4l60E first gear ratio - anyone changed to 2.84

Anyone in here that hitting the track occasionally tried the new 2.84 first gear mod for their A4? Kinda pricey but supposedly helps traction and reduces wide gap between first and second. Give a close ratio tranny. Anyone have any experience?
Thanks
Old 01-03-2018, 04:20 PM
js23881
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had RPM put that in my 4L65e level X tranny over the holidays. It basically is a 6 gear planetary ring and yea it costs....about 650$. I have yet to run the car as they still have my diff. I had a hairline crack in my case (wavetrac) they need to replace. I hope to get it soon. I'm hoping like you said it helps me with my launches.... I also put hinson motor mounts, AFE trans holder, level 5 hubs and shafts, and an RPM diff/tranny bracket on my car. Just after Thanksgiving I had some wheel hop and twisted off a C5 shaft. Normally I dont get hop but I dont want it again. I launched at well over 1000 wheel HP and sticky track and cold day set me up to fail that day.

Last edited by js23881; 01-05-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Ronnie_W
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by js23881
I had RPM put that in my 4L65e level X tranny over the holidays. It basically is a 6 gear planetary ring and yea it costs....about 650$. I have yet to run the car as they still have my diff. I had a hairline crack in my case (wavetrac) they need to replace. I hope to get it soon. I'm hoping like you said it helps me with my launches.... I also put hinson motor mounts, AFE trans holder, level 5 hubs and shafts, and an RPM diff/tranny bracket on my car. Just after Thanksgiving I had some wheel hop and twisted off a C5 shaft. Normally I dont get hop but I dont want it again. I launched at well over 1000 wheel HP and sticky track and cold day set me up to fail that day.
Have You been able to try the 2.84 gear yet? I got a tranny coming with it soon and was wondering how it felt.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:04 PM
js23881
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ronnie_W
Have You been able to try the 2.84 gear yet? I got a tranny coming with it soon and was wondering how it felt.

Not yet. Car is back together and Tick has to redo my shift points. Boy the Hinson motor mounts really vibrate right at 2500 rpm but b4 and right after that RPM the vibration is minimal and drive train feels solid.
Hope to get car on track 3/17/18 at Farmington.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:25 PM
js23881
Burning Brakes

Got car to track several times already. New gears do allow for better trans shifts and felt good. Vibration I spoke of in above posts was not due to new motor mounts but because I had one rear wheel rim out of round. I have yet to push new set up at launch. I have a two step (2000 rpm) and boost leash (1 second delay b4 full power) set up on blower. Soon I will push to run in 8's in 1/4 mile. Currently sorting out some crank shaft/ damper bolt issues.....ARP bolt seems to keep coming loose. I have an ARP/washer bolt set up but will put on stock LS7 torque to yield bolt next few days. Hopefully this will resolve that issue. All the shops I talked ( A & A and Tick Performance) too never use anything but GM torque to yield bolts as they also say they have had ARP bolts come loose on high horsepower blower engines. I run 30 lb boost. It is a pain in *** to pull that bolt and replace. I can do it without removing steering rack but you have to do a lot of maneuvering. This time I'm going to put 240 lbs torque on it with my IR gun with ARP bolt....then take that one out and put 50 lbs torque on it then another 140 degrees with my GM torque to yield bolt.

Last edited by js23881; 07-26-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 4l60E first gear ratio - anyone changed to 2.84

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60E first gear ratio - anyone changed to 2.84