Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Anyone use Launch Control or Clutch Tamer?? stick shift racing assist

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:03 AM
maroon88iroc
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Anyone use Launch Control or Clutch Tamer?? stick shift racing assist

In my local area we have a lot of serious stick shift racers and I have been told I should have been using a clutch tamer. I have never heard about these or a launch control system but after doing just a little bit of research I am blown away and cant believe I have not heard of this before. I guess people don't really talk about it bc it is definitely an "assist"

clutchtamer.com is what most people use, it is a mechanical devise to slow the clutch throw, this is what everyone in my area uses but they have foxbody mustangs with cable clutch, I have found some launch control devises that do the same thing with a line lock type adjustable solenoid that is placed between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder to slow the fluid flow therefor causes a precise amount of clutch slip. The nice thing about this system is it will only affect the launch where the clutch tamer affects every shift.

This looks like gods gift to stick shift racing bc it takes driver error out of the launch, you just side step the clutch and the pedal will throw the exact same every time.

I found this one that I am thinking about purchasing:

http://magnusmotorsports.com/product...ontrol-device/
Attached Images  

Last edited by maroon88iroc; 09-06-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:02 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

I remember reading on the c6 forum somewhere awhile back seems like someone had the magnusmotorsports one but don’t remember if they ever had any luck with it or not, I’m running a twin disk and launching off 2 step and have been thinking about this to see if it would help my 60ft’s
Old 04-27-2018, 07:27 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by 493lszosix
I remember reading on the c6 forum somewhere awhile back seems like someone had the magnusmotorsports one but don’t remember if they ever had any luck with it or not, I’m running a twin disk and launching off 2 step and have been thinking about this to see if it would help my 60ft’s
I just looked at one of those yesterday. Pretty simple rig, fully adjustable. Probably worth a try.

Pitt
Old 04-29-2018, 03:03 PM
sr530
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maroon88iroc
I just broke my dif and transmission output shaft due to the shock of my (overkill) twin disc clutch.

I have found some launch control devises that do the same thing with a line lock type adjustable solenoid that is placed between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder to slow the fluid flow therefor causes a precise amount of clutch slip. The nice thing about this system is it will only affect the launch where the clutch tamer affects every shift.

This looks like gods gift to stick shift racing bc it takes driver error out of the launch, you just side step the clutch and the pedal will throw the exact same every time.

I found this one that I am thinking about purchasing:

http://magnusmotorsports.com/product...ontrol-device/
Here are the basic differences between the Magnus unit and the ClutchTamer...

1- Magnus unit is easily installed on a hydraulic release system.
...ClutchTamer install is much more involved, as there is no unit specifically designed for a Corvette dash/pedal.

2- Magnus unit is tuned with a simple twist of a dial. Singular adjustment forces you to balance initial hit intensity against how long the clutch slips.
...ClutchTamer unit can be tuned from the driver's seat. Two dials allow independent adjustments to either initial hit intensity or slip rate.

3- Magnus unit requires "pre-loading" the clutch prior to launch if minimizing delayed reaction times is important. Not an issue if you always launch from a full tree (just launch earlier), but it's a big deal if launching off a pro-tree or have flashlite/armdrop starts.
...No pre-loading with the ClutchTamer in place, your clutch will hit with the intensity you select and no delay at all.

4- Magnus solenoid bypass allows quick return of the clutch pedal, meaning each push of the clutch pedal begins at the top of it's travel and includes the deadband travel.
...ClutchTamer's controlled pedal return feature prevents the pedal from returning to the top of it's travel before WOT shifts, which effectively shortens pedal travel and results in quicker WOT shifts.

5- Magnus uses a solenoid bypass to address a problem with excessive clutch slip after WOT shifts. This results in clutch engagement after WOT shifts that's actually too aggressive, possibly either allowing your dual disc to still break drivetrain components, or causing wheelspin after shifts which does not work with radial tires.
...ClutchTamer strikes a balance between those extremes, creating a limited amount of effective clutch slip after WOT shifts that results in a quicker pass while simultaneously reducing impact on drivetrain components.

There are those that think any clutch slipping at all after the shift is a waste of power. If you want minimal slip after the shift, it's possible to do that with the ClutchTamer...just stab the pedal instead of bouncing it off the stop. But here's something to think about- if the clutch slipping after the shift improves recovery by 500rpm, on a typical 10.0 sec 3100lb car that can easily equal an additional 40hp or so for a few tenths of a second or more after each shift.

Grant
Old 05-01-2018, 06:52 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by sr530
Here are the basic differences between the Magnus unit and the ClutchTamer...

1- Magnus unit is easily installed on a hydraulic release system.
...ClutchTamer install is much more involved, as there is no unit specifically designed for a Corvette dash/pedal.

2- Magnus unit is tuned with a simple twist of a dial. Singular adjustment forces you to balance initial hit intensity against how long the clutch slips.
...ClutchTamer unit can be tuned from the driver's seat. Two dials allow independent adjustments to either initial hit intensity or slip rate.

3- Magnus unit requires "pre-loading" the clutch prior to launch if minimizing delayed reaction times is important. Not an issue if you always launch from a full tree (just launch earlier), but it's a big deal if launching off a pro-tree or have flashlite/armdrop starts.
...No pre-loading with the ClutchTamer in place, your clutch will hit with the intensity you select and no delay at all.

4- Magnus solenoid bypass allows quick return of the clutch pedal, meaning each push of the clutch pedal begins at the top of it's travel and includes the deadband travel.
...ClutchTamer's controlled pedal return feature prevents the pedal from returning to the top of it's travel before WOT shifts, which effectively shortens pedal travel and results in quicker WOT shifts.

5- Magnus uses a solenoid bypass to address a problem with excessive clutch slip after WOT shifts. This results in clutch engagement after WOT shifts that's actually too aggressive, possibly either allowing your dual disc to still break drivetrain components, or causing wheelspin after shifts which does not work with radial tires.
...ClutchTamer strikes a balance between those extremes, creating a limited amount of effective clutch slip after WOT shifts that results in a quicker pass while simultaneously reducing impact on drivetrain components.

There are those that think any clutch slipping at all after the shift is a waste of power. If you want minimal slip after the shift, it's possible to do that with the ClutchTamer...just stab the pedal instead of bouncing it off the stop. But here's something to think about- if the clutch slipping after the shift improves recovery by 500rpm, on a typical 10.0 sec 3100lb car that can easily equal an additional 40hp or so for a few tenths of a second or more after each shift.

Grant
Great info Grant

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use Launch Control or Clutch Tamer?? stick shift racing assist

Quick Reply: Anyone use Launch Control or Clutch Tamer?? stick shift racing assist