Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

2004 C5 228R Cam Longtube Headers Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:17 PM
MadMaxWell
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 C5 228R Cam Longtube Headers Dyno

Hey, new Vette owner here! Long story short, bought an 04 base 6spd with 89k miles in November. Week before Christmas, heard a loud rattle noise and turned out the crankshaft balancer bolt backed out. Since geting in to replace the balancer/bolt is a decent amount of work, I decided to do some upgrades while it was apart, as follows:

TSP 228R cam
Double valve springs w/ Ti retainers
Ls2 timing chain
GM high performance oil pump
TSP longtube headers w/ high flow catted x-pipe
NGK TR6 spark plugs
MSD spark plug wires

Got to fix some other stuff in the process, leaking water pump, leaking vally pan gasket, leaking powers steering line, air system delete, you get the idea. Was able to have it street and dyno tuned today and am SUPER happy with the results. This cam has a pretty aggressive idle but still drives like stock around town. I've only done a few highway pulls before it started raining today, but looking forward to putting some miles on it tomorrow. I'm not going to do anymore performance mods for a while, just preventative maintenance and fix anything that decides to break. I bought this as a daily driver and will be putting about 500 miles a week on it. Anyway, figured people might want to see the results of this basis set-up.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 PM
USRobo
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like a nice set up. Does that cam do any bucking in street driving? Did you do any head work?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:03 AM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,127 Likes on 1,930 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Nice project. Great looking car.

Did you have any consideration to changing the heads while you were in there? Definitely not needed but also easy horsepower.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:45 PM
MadMaxWell
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
Nice project. Great looking car.

Did you have any consideration to changing the heads while you were in there? Definitely not needed but also easy horsepower.
Thanks! I did think about it but it just wasn't in the budget once factoring in new head studs, lifters, gaskets. I also needed to get the car back on the road for school, i got lucky as it was being able to do this over winter break. The whole project came about from being in the engine for a repair anyways, so I went for "bang for the buck". Once I'm not daily driving the car in a year or so I may re-visit the heads or scratch building an engine.

The cam has caused minor bucking at real low speeds, like 10mph in second gear in a parking lot. I just leave it in first a little longer lol. Overall the driveability hasn't changed much from stock, which is what I wanted.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

What do you think about the quality/fit/finish of the TSP long tubes and x Pipe?
Old 01-16-2019, 04:22 AM
C5 for life
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMaxWell
Hey, new Vette owner here! Long story short, bought an 04 base 6spd with 89k miles in November. Week before Christmas, heard a loud rattle noise and turned out the crankshaft balancer bolt backed out. Since geting in to replace the balancer/bolt is a decent amount of work, I decided to do some upgrades while it was apart, as follows:

TSP 228R cam
Double valve springs w/ Ti retainers
Ls2 timing chain
GM high performance oil pump
TSP longtube headers w/ high flow catted x-pipe
NGK TR6 spark plugs
MSD spark plug wires

Got to fix some other stuff in the process, leaking water pump, leaking vally pan gasket, leaking powers steering line, air system delete, you get the idea. Was able to have it street and dyno tuned today and am SUPER happy with the results. This cam has a pretty aggressive idle but still drives like stock around town. I've only done a few highway pulls before it started raining today, but looking forward to putting some miles on it tomorrow. I'm not going to do anymore performance mods for a while, just preventative maintenance and fix anything that decides to break. I bought this as a daily driver and will be putting about 500 miles a week on it. Anyway, figured people might want to see the results of this basis set-up.

Nothing like having your own space to work a job like that. Congrats Few questions for you. We have the same car but you have 30k more miles than I doI do. My question this , do you feel like you be happier with a bigger ?

I’m Going all out with mine same as you did but I’ll be adding the 42lb injectors also. I’m only doing once do I wanna do it at the level beinv content. Which I’m hearing is not possible but hey, I only ever wanted an 11 DD
Old 01-16-2019, 11:29 PM
MadMaxWell
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Corvettelvr73
What do you think about the quality/fit/finish of the TSP long tubes and x Pipe?
The longtubes themselves fit perfect, and the x pipe is acceptable for sure. The tubes on the x-pipe sit pretty close to the tunnel, close enough that I'm sure they're hitting at times, but not much. It mated up to the magnaflow axleback I already had well, and doesn't hang down real low beneath the car, still have good ground clearance.

Originally Posted by C5 for life

Nothing like having your own space to work a job like that. Congrats Few questions for you. We have the same car but you have 30k more miles than I doI do. My question this , do you feel like you be happier with a bigger ?

I’m Going all out with mine same as you did but I’ll be adding the 42lb injectors also. I’m only doing once do I wanna do it at the level beinv content. Which I’m hearing is not possible but hey, I only ever wanted an 11 DD
I think you could go larger and still be able to daily it just fine, but I'm happy with the 228R. Its big enough to give me what I wanted, but I can still get in and just drive the car, don't have to worry about anything as it drives very much like stock when not beating on it.

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 C5 228R Cam Longtube Headers Dyno

Quick Reply: 2004 C5 228R Cam Longtube Headers Dyno