When reporting a post, please understand the following:
1) The moderators and admins do not have alerts or alarms set to immediately notify us in the event that a post is reported. We get emails, and like anyone else, we check email every so often. Do not think that because your report has gone without action for 11 seconds that we are ignoring it. We may have not even seen it. You see, we're volunteers, and not always on the forum or in our email.
2) When you report a post, insulting or harassing the moderators or admins will not speed up any action if such action is warranted. All it will do is annoy us. A report that reads "I found this post to be directly insulting another forum member"
is a whole lot less annoying than one that reads "I found this post to be directly insulting another forum member, but I guess the mods are too lazy to care."
3) Contrary to popular belief, you not liking another member is not sufficient cause to ban them forever. Insulting me in your report doesn't change that rule, it just annoys me.
4) I am considering, though I haven't quite made up my mind yet, a one week automatic ban for anyone who types anything into a report that is remotely similar to "I thought we had a rule about this."
You see, this little dig can only be taken one of two ways, both insults. Either you mean we are ignorant of the rules or that we willfully ignore them. So I can have my intelligence insulted, or my ethics and job performance. See how neither would be pleasant? Of all the insults, this one happens most frequently, and speaking only for myself, I am really sick of it.
5) The moderators and admins do care about being fair while also maintaining the best possible forum environment for everyone. I check my mail 3x a day minimum for reports. Not everything that gets reported is a violation. We appreciate the feedback, and it does help us do the job, but there's simply no need to insult people who are volunteering their time to help you while providing that feedback. I appreciate frustration, especially in a section devoted to politics, religion and controversy, but before you insult me or Grumpy in a report, please take a few deep breaths and reconsider. You'll be doing you and us a big favor.
Thank you in advance for your consideration and cooperation.
6) From the mod forums:
Originally Posted by pewter99
May I add the "elevator button mentality" (repeatedly pushing the button/reporting the post) doesn't make us respond any faster it just adds to our email count