Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Joe The Plumber Dead 2012

Old 10-28-2012, 09:26 AM
BLZNSDL
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice View Post
Very cavalier of you but someone is responsible for the real estate crash and we know beyond a doubt it was the left side of the aisle...the worst part is that, unlike other business', real estate folks were mostly independent contractors so none of us qualified for unemployment...no help for us at all...

I was in commercial real estate and development for 44 years...my last check was in January of 2008 for a deal I made a year before...that check turned out to be my only resal estate income until this very day...

I was forced to take early retirement in May of 08..btw, in the spring of 2007 I was down to one employee...me...and I was working out of my home...can't cut much more than that...yes, I am bitter at the lefties who caused the crash and rightfully so...in 2008 I was 61 years ire me....I tried switching careers but that was a joke at my age...

I can still recall Barney Frank saying about Fannie/Freddie, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...meanwhile they were hemoraging money, cooking the books to ensure bonus' and Frank was sleeping with the second in command at Fannie...

I take responsibility for all my actions but not for those on the left who ruined my career...
It was a career that ended, it was not your career.
Be grateful for what you have aND VOTE YOURSELF FREEDOM AND LIBERTY FROM TAXATION AND OVERSIZED GOVERNMENT AND ANOTHER CAREER WIL APPEAR IN FRONT OF YOUR VERY EYES.

every vote for smaller government creates another 1.5 job opprtunities
Old 10-28-2012, 09:26 AM
RetiredSFC 97
CF Senior Member

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

These are the facts.

If government policies can help an ecomomy and business then government policies can ruin an economy and business.

If not, then why in hell are people broke, the economy is growing at less than a susainable rate, and ue is still almost 11%?

People need to go back to school and quit shooting from the hip.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Donuts
CF Senior Member

Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Apothecary View Post
not much overhead in plumbing.

Just sayin.
And you've probably never signed off on a payroll either which would explain your comment.

I would be pretty accurate if I said that most of you who are blaming the OP for poor management as their reason for failure have never owned a business??

And yes, GM should've been left to reorganize like the rest of us business owners would have to. Bailouts are for puzzies.. And yes, it's a traumatic situation for those who did work hard each day and lose their jobs but how are they any different from the other 23 million people who lost their jobs over the last 4 years??
Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 AM
war
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: emerald lawns, saphire pools, presbyterian charities
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
I would be pretty accurate if I said that most of you who are blaming the OP for poor management as their reason for failure have never owned a business??

in 2009, her business fell 33% and she didn't cut a single cost -

in 2010, her business was cut in half from 2007 so she let 5 people go-

what part of poor management do you not understand?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Donuts
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by war View Post

Did you own a business over the last 10 years?? That employed more than yourself?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM
war
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did you own a business over the last 10 years?? That employed more than yourself?

yes of course. but that is not relevant.

whether she was buying labor or mink coats, by her own words,

she was spending more than she was taking in by huge amounts.

she should have gotten her costs in line immediately.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 AM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

woman's business drops by a third in '09 and she doesn't get rid of any salaries/costs-

in 2010 her business was cut in half and they let ONLY 5 people go-

no intelligent business owner would operate like that-

and because she was bad at managing costs,

she and her family are pulling bankruptcies all over town. pathetic.
Sounds like you feel she should have operated more like Bain Capital. Perfect timing that we have a candidate for POTUS that can implement policies and ideas that will do just that and be BEST for the country!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Donuts
CF Senior Member

yes of course. but that is not relevant.

whether she was buying labor or mink coats, by her own words,

she was spending more than she was taking in by huge amounts.

she should have gotten her costs in line immediately.
It's very relevant. If a person hasn't owned and operated a business with 32 or more employees for a long period of time they can't possibly understand or see accurately enough to say that a business failure was from poor management.

Just like the village idiot expressed earlier "there's not much overhead in plumbing" He hasn't operated a plumbing business more or less owned one or that thought wouldn't have ever passed through his head..

Her numbers were compiled over a weekend but the actual unraveling of her business took years and if you're a business owner that also operates the business on a daily basis you understand how this happens and it has happened to the best and brightest of business owners.

Last edited by Donuts; 10-28-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:17 AM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

...Just like the village idiot expressed earlier "there's not much overhead in plumbing"...
Old 10-29-2012, 12:16 PM
SteveL2
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

not surprised you and her blame the govt. pathetic.
That's ironic: I'm entirely surprised you defend free enterprise and business judgment.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 PM
RC45
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apothecary View Post
not much overhead in plumbing.

Just sayin.
$45,000+ per fitted out truck x 5. $80,000+ heavy line and pipe equipment, $20,000 pipe inspection equipment, $40,000 inventory.

$165,000 per month payroll, $15,000 per month general expenses... etc etc

Off the top of my head $365,000 in equipment laying around a $180,000 a month commitment...

Just sayin.

You area clueless git.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:36 PM
VETTRLZ
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The truth is, she is right that Obama did nothing to improve the economy and only made it worse. I have no argument with that.

But others such as war are right in pointing out that she didn't downsize her business fast enough. She should have immediately cut her business in half, and stopped benefits the first year.

It is 20/20 hindsight, but I have to agree with war on this. In a downsizing economy where the source of her income was the very housing market that was at the core of the economic crash, she should have cut expenses way ahead of the the trend. The survivors did that.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
PJC6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Maybe she was counting on that hope and change you voted for....maybe you should have loaned her your CRYSTAL BALL?

Lame and pathetic as usual from the left wing kooks
Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 PM
The JOe
CF Senior Member

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat View Post
Does anyone else's employer match employee 401K investments 100%!?!?!?!?! Holy crap I wish my employer did this!

U.M.
Ive had 2 employers match 100%, and for most of my dad's career his was matched at 100% then cut to 50% in the last 10 years.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 PM
mikejpss
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by hulksdaddy View Post
My biz did better in '09 than '08, and better again in '10 and '11. 2012 is looking great as well.

Sounds to me like they didn't make the proper adjustments, and failed.

Sorry, but blaming any one person just sounds like whining.
My daughter is in retail. we started her business in 2008, it has grown well since and is now triple 2008 revenues. Its a thriving business b/c of what she sells and the lack of other comparable products in her area.
That said, it MUST be observed that the individuals buying her product have stepped down their spending each year, while she gained market share in obtaining more customers. Translation= her customers have increased in numbers, but their individual spending is lower.
We can only imagine what a booming economy would do to her business.
My point ? Even in a bad economy, there are good businesses. There are always going to be weddings/babies/funerals and people are going to eat. YOU and my daughter seem to have made good picks.
Too bad for the rest of the country trying to "get by" with this sick,sick,sick economy of barrack HUSSEIN obama's.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Donuts
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VETTRLZ View Post
The truth is, she is right that Obama did nothing to improve the economy and only made it worse. I have no argument with that.

But others such as war are right in pointing out that she didn't downsize her business fast enough. She should have immediately cut her business in half, and stopped benefits the first year.

It is 20/20 hindsight, but I have to agree with war on this. In a downsizing economy where the source of her income was the very housing market that was at the core of the economic crash, she should have cut expenses way ahead of the the trend. The survivors did that.
You agree huh? How many businesses have you owned that employed more than 5 people?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM
war
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJC6 View Post
Maybe she was counting on that hope and change you voted for....maybe you should have loaned her your CRYSTAL BALL?

Lame and pathetic as usual from the left wing kooks

no surprise that you would side with loozers.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Donuts
CF Senior Member

no surprise that you would side with loozers.
So this means that you are stepping away from this administrations failing ways and voting Romney/Ryan next week?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 PM
VETTRLZ
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

You agree huh? How many businesses have you owned that employed more than 5 people?
I haven't. But I have a business degree and have been employed in businesses that have done a good job of reading economic changes and adjusted well. For one of them, that meant laying off about 1/3 of the workforce and getting their expenses in line, and doing it fast.

I'm not defending Obama by any means. He absolutely made it worse. But a company that responds to an economic tidal wave with a tiny 5 employee cut, no changes to benefit expenses, and very slow and weak response thereafter is going to lose in these conditions. She may also not be telling the entire story and may have been leveraged to the hilt for all we know.

Bottom line, the survival of her business is still her responsibility, good times or bad. I agree that Obama needs to go, but she needs to take some responsibility for her own.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:20 PM
war
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So this means that you are stepping away from this administrations failing ways and voting Romney/Ryan next week?

it means he would side with you too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Joe The Plumber Dead 2012

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: