Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

The War on Drugs...why did it start?

Old 09-13-2015, 05:24 PM
BuckeyeZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default The War on Drugs...why did it start?

I was watching a bit of TV today and saw the previews of a show that talks about the War on Drugs. The premise, from my take on the preview, is that the people in the show are sayign it's an immoral "war" because so many people are incarcerated because of it. Heck some on PR&C have questioned it in the same manner.

From my recollection (I'm 53), the War on Drugs got started in the 80s when the Cartels started to have influence in the U.S. and became increasingly violent.

I also seem to remember it was this that started the "militarization" of our police forces as they were going against organized gangs so were outrunning them, sometimes significantly. IIRC, cops were using revolvers and the bad guys had automatic weapons.

So, how did this evolve to where we are today? And if you're against it, what's your solution? Should adults be able to take now-illicit drugs?

TIA
Old 09-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can't even decide what you put into your own body, you aren't free.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Gordon Shumway
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never understood why anyone would want to fight a war that is unwinnable.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Millenium 04
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you really feel as a nation we are better with pot legalized?

If so where do you draw the line?

No prescription needed?

Heroin?

Drug laws are needed for the idiots.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
I've never understood why anyone would want to fight a war that is unwinnable.
$, and fun toys.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:44 PM
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 76 Posts

because as in everything, some people just lose it.
hard use and addiction begat stealing and whoring and violence.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Zrxmax
CF Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The war on drugs is simply another government cordinated public relations failure to suppress the importation of drugs. Meanwhile, we

have mega banks laundering billions and imported drugs have continued making the trip here without missing a step.

The other spin off benefit is the privately owned prison industry has grown considerably since the DARE program slipped quietly out of the publics conciousness.

These days they just bust people and throw them in prison while confiscating cash and property under RICO laws. Efforts are being made to remove the incentives of lawfully approved confiscation.

However, I don't see the "status quo" changing much now that authority is empowered legally to confiscate at will.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:45 PM
owebo
CF Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

The crack wars.....it cost everyone, including us As it took our automatic weapons away....

Can you imagine the shathole America would be without the war....
Old 09-13-2015, 06:07 PM
J Vette
CF Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post
If you can't even decide what you put into your own body, you aren't free.
Slippery slope argument IMO. The extreme case is the person who has the freedom to put small pox in his/her body. I suspect someone will point out that we are talking about harmless drugs that only effect the user. But are there such things> Do you want your doctor eating LSD the night before he has you scheduled for surgery the next day? How about your auto mechanic. Are you fine with him being tore slap up while he's working on your car? Or the HVAC repairman? Or the factory worker who produces your products?
FTR, I understand your sentiment and I'm a little sick of the war on drugs which is a catastrophic failure IMO. I like the idea of balance. But law never balances anything. Then too, mankind is often not a very balanced animal when left to his own devices. My whole point here is to show that its not as simplistic as the libertarian would have us believe it is.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:13 PM
pgj98m3
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Vette View Post
Slippery slope argument IMO. The extreme case is the person who has the freedom to put small pox in his/her body. I suspect someone will point out that we are talking about harmless drugs that only effect the user. But are there such things> Do you want your doctor eating LSD the night before he has you scheduled for surgery the next day? How about your auto mechanic. Are you fine with him being tore slap up while he's working on your car? Or the HVAC repairman? Or the factory worker who produces your products?
FTR, I understand your sentiment and I'm a little sick of the war on drugs which is a catastrophic failure IMO. I like the idea of balance. But law never balances anything. Then too, mankind is often not a very balanced animal when left to his own devices. My whole point here is to show that its not as simplistic as the libertarian would have us believe it is.
Employers and regulatory bodies all have rules re intoxication with currently legal drugs...ETOH. And many fields tightly control what meds you can be on when working eg. pilots.

Legalize, regulate and tax.....

I'd be okay with pharmaceutical grade hallucinogens,peyote, psilocybin, marijuana and probably heroin. Not the stimulants which are inherently destructive.

I will just sit back and get the marshmallows ready for the flames......
Old 09-13-2015, 06:16 PM
owebo
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by pgj98m3 View Post
Employers and regulatory bodies all have rules re intoxication with currently legal drugs...ETOH. And many fields tightly control what meds you can be on when working eg. pilots.

Legalize, regulate and tax.....

I'd be okay with pharmaceutical grade hallucinogens,peyote, psilocybin, marijuana and probably heroin. Not the stimulants which are inherently destructive.

I will just sit back and get the marshmallows ready for the flames......
Yes, yes....I heard this all before from democrats,....give those in utopia soma in order to hide Utopias failure....same old song and dance from you one trick ponys.....
Old 09-13-2015, 06:17 PM
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 76 Posts

legal drugs?
like lemon 714?
gone.
good grade Vicodin?
gone.
color me gone.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:18 PM
Trainman-2
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Legalize most drugs.

Let the government control their sales.

Put the Drug Cartels out of Business.

Declare Victory

Put some of the money into drug treatment programs
Old 09-13-2015, 06:23 PM
67tripwr
CF Senior Member

Location: Bringing The Liberal Hypocrisy To Light, Tolerance Has Become Intolerable
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

"It's not the governments job to make you a better person"

Ron Paul

Hey! You look like you could lose some weight, so were going to put you on a diet.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:31 PM
owebo
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by 67tripwr View Post
"It's not the governments job to make you a better person"

Ron Paul

Hey! You look like you could lose some weight, so were going to put you on a diet.

It is however a free people's job to construct Liberty....
Old 09-13-2015, 06:41 PM
KW Baraka
CF Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trainman-2 View Post

Legalize most drugs.

Let the government control their sales.

Put the Drug Cartels out of Business.

Declare Victory

Put some of the money into drug treatment programs
I wrote my Master's Thesis on this 30 years ago......

The whole illicit drug trade is simply the peddling in HIGHLY profitable Black Market items. Some people will ALWAYS want to engage in the use of illegal drugs and they will always find a way to pay for them, usually through illegal means. We will never fully stop that. And as long as certain drugs remain illegal:

1. The prices of those drugs will remain high;
2. People will fight and kill over the 'right' to manufacture and sell drugs in certain territories (turf);
3. People who sale and use these drugs will continue to go to jail/prison in ever increasing numbers;
4. I can go on.....and on.......

Think back on your U.S. History and the effects that 'Prohibition' and the criminalization of alcohol had during that period. Well....the so called "War on Drugs" is the same thing, just prolonged and magnified.

KW

Last edited by KW Baraka; 09-13-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:43 PM
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 131 Posts

I guess I know more than most on this forum, as being age 71 and growing older in the Wash DC region for 53 years....knowing many folks on the inside of the Fed.gov structure, I know the truth.....

JFK was a setup fool proposing all that 'social welfare' legislation that is known as the 'great society'......it was HIS proposals going nowhere in CONNgress......but note the over drama/lovely psych build up of 'CAMELOT' and the Kennedy clan worship.....SO when JFK was shot, by a communist/plot BTW.....the overwhelming EMOTION of the nation was manipulated by the communist press and so LBJ was paid off enough to swap sides, and get that WELFARE check society passed by blackmailing CONNgressional folks.....

NOW, with most of this established, along comes two shootings in '68, Bobby K, and MLK...... just to get Bobby outta the way from revenge of his brother....MLK to ensure the present attitude of most of the modern black population to vote DoMoCrap....just like LBJ said 200 years.......

SO what do people DO when the .gov rigs the living sh!tuation to encourage family breakups and sloth......engineered to that males leave the homes so the females get more support checks....

so what do the guys DO, drugs, crime, hang out and bum around, like HS students on perpetual summer.....

enter the drugs, make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ without paying taxes......

now this is NOT a race thing, just that it shows up more at the inner city location, where the lack of jobs shows more....easier to observe 10 square miles then 10,000 ya think???

It is ALL a design by communists from our own screwal systems.....

anything else is BS......THIS can not be deflected.....
Old 09-13-2015, 06:44 PM
owebo
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
I wrote my Master's Thesis on this 30 years ago......

The whole illicit drug trade is simply the peddling in HIGHLY profitable Black Market items. Some people will ALWAYS want to engage in the use of illegal drugs and they will always find a way to pay for them, usually through illegal means. We will never fully stop that. And as long as certain drugs remain illegal:

1. The prices of those drugs will remain high;
2. People will fight and kill over the 'right' to manufacture and sell drugs in certain territories (turf);
3. People who sale and use these drugs will continue to go to jail/prison in ever increasing numbers;
4. I can go on.....and on.......

Think back on your U.S. History and the effects that 'Prohibition' and the criminalization of alcohol had during that period. Well....the so called "War on Drugs" is the same thing, just prolonged and magnified.

KW
it's nowhere near the same thing....
Old 09-13-2015, 07:07 PM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 145 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The War on Drugs...why did it start?
Just like all the other "war on ...." == more .gov power & control; as always, follow the power & $$...

The solution is, as with alcohol, legalize all "drugs" and sell to adults under ATF control. This at once: eliminates all "drug gangs", forces lots of .gov officials & lawyers to get productive jobs and saves us tax-payers a ton of $$.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:09 PM
owebo
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by 65Z01 View Post
Just like all the other "war on ...." == more .gov power & control; as always, follow the power & $$...

The solution is, as with alcohol, legalize all "drugs" and sell to adults under ATF control. This at once: eliminates all "drug gangs", forces lots of .gov officials & lawyers to get productive jobs and saves us tax-payers a ton of $$.
Were you alive during the crack wars?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The War on Drugs...why did it start?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: