De Blasio backs raising minimum price of cigarettes to $13 a pack! - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

De Blasio backs raising minimum price of cigarettes to $13 a pack!

Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #61
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
Before answering that question, will the tax revenue raised on cigs be put aside with an independent trustee to be used only for the medical issues that arise from smoking by indigents? Or will it go in the general fund to be used on anything that suits the legislature's fancy?
I think we all know no matter where in the country it's going into a general fund. Although this doesn't mean as general fund keeps raising more money won't go into a separate fund.
Dave concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #62
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shiels View Post
post it up
Not addressed to me, but I seem to remember a column by George Will (my apologies if my memory of the author is incorrect) several years back where this was mentioned.
69427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #63
Grimlock13
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
They have laws against that. Check this out - remember Eric Garner?

Garner, who repeated "I can't breathe" eleven times while lying facedown on the sidewalk.

- from Wiki
Except if you really can't breathe, you can't say anything.

Not sticking up for what the cops did, but that part is impossible.
Grimlock13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #64
Suns_PSD
CF Senior Member

The taxation on cigarettes should be exactly equal to the cost on society. Clean up, healthcare, lost productivity, etc.

I don't hire smokers. Littering, taking 20 minutes of paid breaks every hour, killing themselves. stinking up the entire room and my trucks, those idiots.
Suns_PSD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #65
NY09C6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The taxation on cigarettes should be exactly equal to the cost on society. Clean up, healthcare, lost productivity, etc.
Where does this thinking end?

Fried food, soda, high fat ground beef, sugary snacks?

This is America, we should protect our freedoms.
NY09C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #66
Krystal
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69er View Post
I dislike the guy but I don't care about raising the cost of cigarettes.
You should! You should care quite a bit actually.
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #67
Krystal
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePointFarms View Post
Good for them and so they should.

The mighty USA is getting more and more like Communist Canada day by day.

Toronto
1 pack name brand smokes $13.00
1 26oz barcardi rum $27.00

Anybody that smokes is stupid.

....and disagree..........I've lived in both countries long enough to learn that in many ways American's are the more entitlement minded society than Canadians ever have been.

Canada taxes things on a "user pay" system far more often than we do here in the States.

Canadian attitudes toward what is "owed to them" by Government is actually far more realistic.

Talk to poor and even no small part of the middle class in the States........and you'll hear an expectation level of services that you don't hear from lower income and middle income Canadians.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #68
Krystal
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
That's GREAT in theory.......but completely mistaken in practice. What the people who don't smoke miss when they suggest raising taxes to the moon on cigarettes is surprisingly obvious....or at least it should be.

If we REALISTICALLY assume that cigarettes are just addictive enough to keep people buying them at prices far higher than makes sense to any rational NON-smoker........there still will eventually be a price level that when it gets there sees a smoker finally say, "this is crazy.......I need to quit this habit."

Deblasio and other liberals CLAIM that would be a wonderful outcome......but do they really mean that? You'd have to ask yourself.....after years of income flowing in from the tax stamp on each pack........the programs Liberals love to start and expand will suddenly need a new income stream or get repealed.

So now the real question anyone who doesn't smoke should be asking is, "If this goes where a rational thinking tax payer expects.......how can you support it if you believe in small government with a reasonable tax cost over time?"

Quote:
I don't hire smokers. Littering, taking 20 minutes of paid breaks every hour, killing themselves. stinking up the entire room and my trucks, those idiots.
I won't quibble with this thought.......it's too hard to find anything wrong in your thinking........it is a disgusting habit and honestly.......I associate it these days with the losers in our society.

Last edited by Krystal; 04-21-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #69
Jack Waggoner
CF Senior Member

This is discriminatory against the poor and corvette owners.
Jack Waggoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #70
Krystal
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY09C6 View Post
Where does this thinking end?

Fried food, soda, high fat ground beef, sugary snacks?

This is America, we should protect our freedoms.
It ends when we come to realize that we are too entitled and we ask too much of our government.

We really are a silly society.

We loath being told what to do in our personal lives........even Liberals who believe in BIG GOVERNMENT on;y want you to tell society what it can and can't do......but they don't want anyone to tell THEM what they can't do.

Same can be said of taxation......we want things and programs.......but nobody wants to actually pay for them......again even liberals want you tax someone else.

Everyone has heard since early age, "there is no free lunch" in life and we all understand the meaning of that statement.......yet for what-ever reason......
.....so very many of us will ask so much of our government, cede power over our lives to it and then expect it should be paid for by someone else, "tax the other guy"

Hard left liberals are WRONG when they point to wealth and if you're a small government conservative.......you are just as WRONG if you point to smokers and say, "tax them? Sure"

Money is fungible ........Big Government will take all it can from where-ever it can........no advocate of small government that only does what truly makes sense for Government to do should be in support of a Cigarette tax....at any level.

Last edited by Krystal; 04-21-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #71
ON 8TH
CF Senior Member

Ok ,,, Im a disgusting stupid idiot !!!
Time 4 a smoke
ON 8TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #72
demonseed
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
It ends when we come to realize that we are too entitled and we ask too much of our government.

We really are a silly society.

We loath being told what to do in our personal lives........even Liberals who believe in BIG GOVERNMENT on;y want you to tell society what it can and can't do......but they don't want anyone to tell THEM what they can't do.

Same can be said of taxation......we want things and programs.......but nobody wants to actually pay for them......again even liberals want you tax someone else.

Everyone has heard since early age, "there is no free lunch" in life and we all understand the meaning of that statement.......yet for what-ever reason......
.....so very many of us will ask so much of our government, cede power over our lives to it and then expect it should be paid for by someone else, "tax the other guy"

Hard left liberals are WRONG when they point to wealth and if you're a small government conservative.......you are just as WRONG if you point to smokers and say, "tax them? Sure"

Money is fungible ........Big Government will take all it can from where-ever it can........no advocate of small government that only does what truly makes sense for Government to do should be in support of a Cigarette tax....at any level.
There couldn't be a tax BIG enough on cigarettes, IMO. Cancer...check. COPD...check. Addiction...check. How anyone could argue that making these legal sticks of poison any easier for people to get/use is beyond me. But be my guest and continue to justify.
demonseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #73
ZumZum
CF Senior Member

9 months smoke free, but I still think about them every day.

Last edited by ZumZum; 04-21-2017 at 11:37 AM.
ZumZum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #74
demonseed
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZumZum View Post
Congrats...keep up the good work!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #75
Rexde1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68/70Vette View Post
Drive a panel van to Kentucky. Fill it up with $5.40 a pack cigarettes. Drive said van to New York City and sell the cigarettes for what?.....$8 a pack? Of course the packs won't have the correct New York tax stamps on then. The buyers won't care. The tax stamp problem can be solved by selling them as singles.
Trucks from NY have been coming to DE for years buying cartons of cigarettes. I don't think the end user gets the benefit.
Rexde1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #76
30YR W8T
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." Calvin Coolidge

Quote:
Congrats and you are not alone. Four years for me and still think about them because I really enjoyed smoking. Beer and smokes go hand and hand.
30YR W8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #77
ZumZum
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30YR W8T View Post
Congrats and you are not alone. Four years for me and still think about them because I really enjoyed smoking. Beer and smokes go hand and hand.
Now I can't stand the smell on people's clothes, but yeah, when you have a beer in one hand a cigarette seems like it belongs in the other.
ZumZum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #78
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

"I don't like what you're doing, so I want the government to make you stop." This mentality is so friggin dangerous and anathema to freedom.

Smoking is disgusting and stupid, but it's one's right to be disgusting and stupid if they want to be.
Red99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #79
demonseed
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30YR W8T View Post

Old 04-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #80
30YR W8T
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." Calvin Coolidge

Quote:
Now I can't stand the smell on people's clothes, but yeah, when you have a beer in one hand a cigarette seems like it belongs in the other.
Yes, that does happen when you quit smoking, you start to smell what everyone else did. I got in the habit many years ago of not smoking in the house or the car because of this and was outside for the most part when smoking. Now that I have quit, I am glad I did not smoke in the house, because the smell would probably bother me now too. However, one thing I refuse to do is give smokers a hard time, because I know exactly why they smoke and I am not offended by it now just because I quit.
30YR W8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • De Blasio backs raising minimum price of cigarettes to $13 a pack!
  •