Trump states: "Korea actually used to be part of China" - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Trump states: "Korea actually used to be part of China"

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #21
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Torrance California
Posts: 20,120
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I think that at one time or another in history, China has subjugated all of it's neighboring countries. Korea was at least a vassal state under Chinese dominance. Vassal states typically had to pay tribute to the Chinese. I've read that Korea's forced subservient status has created a historical hatred of the Chinese by the Koreans.

Trump's statement is sufficiently accurate.
68/70Vette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #22
Darkman00
CF Senior Member
 
Darkman00's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Posts: 11,266
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post

if trump farts there's outrage.
I read it at first, for some reason: "if trump farts there's an outage"
Darkman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #23
vigalante
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2011
Posts: 34,674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well it crrtainly isn't like the Obunghole stating that Hawaii was in Asia!

Obama Makes Another Gaffe — References Hawaii as Being in 'Asia ...


TheBlaze › news › 2011/11/16 › obama-...
AMP - Nov 16, 2011 - While speaking in Hawaii this week, President Obama referenced Hawaii as being in Asia: .....The ******* moron!!!!

Last edited by vigalante; 04-20-2017 at 04:18 PM.
vigalante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #24
NoOne
CF Senior Member
 
NoOne's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Auburn Hills MI
Posts: 23,665
Thanked 88 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngolfer View Post
You think that Trump is that deep? If he is, that was a smooth move.

However, he should clarify that for the South Koreans.
Absolutely.

Easiest solution in the world. Let China take it. Fix huge problem, very little to if any downside.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #25
BadUmp
CF Senior Member
 
BadUmp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2014
Location: Monaco Sociopath
Posts: 12,561
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngolfer View Post
Twitter and WSJ

https://twitter.com/i/moments/855038211487404032

S. Korea responds to Trump's China claim: 'Shocking ignorance'

World News This morning

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, the president said "Korea actually used to be part of China" while discussing takeaways from his meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping.


Korea is dismayed.
Green House gases and Global warming are the least of our worries - - - with all these Trump revelations the earth will be 40+ degrees off its axis by years end . . .
BadUmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #26
theandies
CF Senior Member
 
theandies's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Posts: 14,670
Thanked 85 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Pewter Coupe View Post
It depends on how far back in history you want to go, because yes at several times in the past, Korea has been part of China.. (you too can google it)
theandies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #27
Aerovette
CF Senior Member
 
Aerovette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: Beautiful downtown Covfefe
Posts: 18,205
Thanked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Default Was Korea part of China? (what I found)

Short answer is a no. More nuanced and subjective answer is a yes, for about 50 years after Mongols subdued Goryeo kingdom. This is subjective because Korea did still have nominal king and he did have absolute authority on Korean peninsula - but this king was almost more a part of Yuan court than an independent king - they were all married into Yuan imperial princesses and even grew up in Yuan court in many cases. Mongols of course aren’t exactly Chinese, so that’s why it’s subjective, if you’re a Chinese person of Mongol descent then the answer is a yes, sort of.

TL;DR; The whole of peninsula was never a part of China. Northern part of Korea was part of Han dynasty for roughly 200 years. Han Wudi conquered the northern Korea and parts of Manchuria and set up four commandaries, which is similar to colonial administration. Goguryeo later invaded and absorbed Han commandaries set up in northern Korea. During Korea’s three kingdom periods, Shilla eventually paid tribute to Tang, and became its tributary. Goguryeo refused Sui/Tang suzerainty and suffered multiple invasions - Sui dynasty essentially drove to ruins due to failed military campaigns against Korea, but Goguryeo was also greatly weakened. Eventually Tang and Shilla alliance destroyed Goguryeo. This resulted in Tang ruling norther Korea for about 30 years until Shilla invaded Tang territories and united Korean peninsula for the first time under one kingdom. Shortly after its victory against Tang, it became tributary of Tang essentially in return for China’s acceptance of Shilla’s claim on whole of Korean peninsula. This was the last time Korea and China fought each other. This tributary relationship dissolved as Tang fell and China entered prolonged civil war periods. But once Song was in power, and Goryeo was established, it became Song’s tributary. However, these tributary relationship was essentially in name only as Song did not have land connection to Goryeo, blocked by Liao dynasty. Goryeo received enormous annual gifts from Song for choosing to pay tribute to Song instead of Liao (Khitans). As a consequence, Liao invaded Goryeo multiple time, all failing although one came close to success. While Korea had tributary relationship with China, Korea wasn’t exactly defenseless as number of failed campaigns against Korea showed. As such, the tributary relationship was mostly nominal. For example, Song asked Goryeo to help it when Liao invaded Song, even sending dozens of ships full of gifts, yet Koreans ignored the plea every time. Likewise, Song ignored Korea’s plea for help when Goryeo asked Song’s help when Liao invaded Korea.

Mongols changed this equation. Granted it wasn’t the easiest conquest for Mongols either as they had to invaded Korea 9 times before Goryeo king finally surrendered. It was a conditional surrender, so Korea just became a tributary without being absorbed into Mongo empire like China did. However, Korean king was forced to marry Kubilai khan’s daughter, so Goryeo royal lineage became mixed with Mongol imperial family. For next three or four generations, Goryeo kings all married Mongol princesses from this point. This is the only period other than the Japanese occupation, Korea’s independence was just in name only. Goryeo kings considered themselves as much a Mongol imperial prince as he was a Goryeo king. Some of the Korean kings spent most of their lifetime in Karakorum - letting Korea be ruled by bureaucrats. It became so bad that eventually Yuan emperor told his son in law to go back to Korea to rule directly. Interestingly, Liao-dong was also put under Korean king’s administration during this period - this showed that Yuan court saw Korean king as one of their own as well. Lots of Koreans moved to Liao-Dong peninsula during this time as a result of this. While technically Korea still had its king and independent administration, it was hard to tell where Mongol rule ended and Goryeo rule began during this 50 year period.

Ming dynasty and Joseon - this is when Korea adopts Chinese neo-confucianism and become loyal tributary of Ming. It was still very much independent, but it definitely followed Ming’s party-line on almost all international politics. Ming in turn treated Joseon with respect and helped it when Korea was invaded by Japan. Korea in turn also sent military forces when Manchus invaded Ming.

Qing dynasty and Joseon - this was tributary in name only. Probably the only time Korean royal court had nothing but contempt for Chinese court although things do get better by 19th century. Joseon saw Qing as barbarians plain and simple, it accepted Qing’s military superiority and it did its tributary duties - mainly sending tributes, but Joseon really closed off its cultural door to China during this periods. This relationship changes near the end of 19th century as Japan encroached on Korea, Joseon court used its tributary relationship to get Qing’s help in quelling domestic rebellion and check Japanese encroachment. This resulted in Sino-Japan war and Qing’s humiliation and eventual loss of Korea’s independence to Japan.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #28
89L98
CF Senior Member
 
89L98's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Hamilton Square NJ
Posts: 4,572
Thanked 64 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngolfer View Post
You think that Trump is that deep? If he is, that was a smooth move.

However, he should clarify that for the South Koreans.
President Trump is playing 3D chess while the rest
play checkers with missing pieces. Eh!?
89L98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #29
British
CF Senior Member
 
British's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 21,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

So, this is kinda like when Obama implied that the Crusades 500 years ago were somehow relevant to the discussion of Islamic violence in today's world.
British is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #30
OnPoint
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
OnPoint's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Wichita Kansas - 2015 Z06 & 2010 ZR1
Posts: 16,416
Thanked 1,290 Times in 766 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngolfer View Post
You think that Trump is that deep? If he is, that was a smooth move.

However, he should clarify that for the South Koreans.


I don't think it's that deep. Fairly simplistic and the wisdom of it would be a separate question.

His audience for the statement, tho, appears intended for Un, and as such isn't the misstatement some are taking it to be.
OnPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #31
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '17
 
Z06PSI's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Honolulu Hawaii
Posts: 21,646
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Canuckistan is getting left alone and they are jealous because of their feckless leadership.

May, Trump, LePenn.
Z06PSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #32
Lord.Baal
CF Senior Member
 
Lord.Baal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 26,807
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British View Post
So, this is kinda like when Obama implied that the Crusades 500 years ago were somehow relevant to the discussion of Islamic violence in today's world.
Exactly!! Trump is exactly like Obama
Lord.Baal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #33
Darion
CF Senior Member
 
Darion's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Youngstown Ohio
Posts: 3,910
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord.Baal View Post
Exactly!! Trump is exactly like Obama
Totally the same but completely different.

PC
Darion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #34
694speed350
CF Senior Member
 
694speed350's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: vonore Tn
Posts: 13,470
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Wonder if anyone here would refute that England was part of the Roman Empire at one time too.....
Probably especially the resident libs.
694speed350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #35
694speed350
CF Senior Member
 
694speed350's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: vonore Tn
Posts: 13,470
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord.Baal View Post
Exactly!! Trump is exactly like Obama
Go to your safe space and suck on your pacifier. Obama isn't fit to polish Trumps shoes.
694speed350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #36
Rock-it Man
CF Senior Member
 
Rock-it Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Posts: 32,659
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Washington used to be a swamp. Trump said he would drain it, but he just got new alligators to replace the outgoing ones.
Rock-it Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #37
Red99SS
CF Senior Member
 
Red99SS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Monmouth County NJ
Posts: 55,678
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngolfer View Post
And the right will just try to ignore it as a typical Trump blunder?
"Trump blunder?"

He was right, you ducking funce.
Red99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #38
VETTRLZ
CF Senior Member
 
VETTRLZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 30,362
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
Short answer is a no. More nuanced and subjective answer is a yes, for about 50 years after Mongols subdued Goryeo kingdom. This is subjective because Korea did still have nominal king and he did have absolute authority on Korean peninsula - but this king was almost more a part of Yuan court than an independent king - they were all married into Yuan imperial princesses and even grew up in Yuan court in many cases. Mongols of course aren’t exactly Chinese, so that’s why it’s subjective, if you’re a Chinese person of Mongol descent then the answer is a yes, sort of.

TL;DR; The whole of peninsula was never a part of China. Northern part of Korea was part of Han dynasty for roughly 200 years. Han Wudi conquered the northern Korea and parts of Manchuria and set up four commandaries, which is similar to colonial administration. Goguryeo later invaded and absorbed Han commandaries set up in northern Korea. During Korea’s three kingdom periods, Shilla eventually paid tribute to Tang, and became its tributary. Goguryeo refused Sui/Tang suzerainty and suffered multiple invasions - Sui dynasty essentially drove to ruins due to failed military campaigns against Korea, but Goguryeo was also greatly weakened. Eventually Tang and Shilla alliance destroyed Goguryeo. This resulted in Tang ruling norther Korea for about 30 years until Shilla invaded Tang territories and united Korean peninsula for the first time under one kingdom. Shortly after its victory against Tang, it became tributary of Tang essentially in return for China’s acceptance of Shilla’s claim on whole of Korean peninsula. This was the last time Korea and China fought each other. This tributary relationship dissolved as Tang fell and China entered prolonged civil war periods. But once Song was in power, and Goryeo was established, it became Song’s tributary. However, these tributary relationship was essentially in name only as Song did not have land connection to Goryeo, blocked by Liao dynasty. Goryeo received enormous annual gifts from Song for choosing to pay tribute to Song instead of Liao (Khitans). As a consequence, Liao invaded Goryeo multiple time, all failing although one came close to success. While Korea had tributary relationship with China, Korea wasn’t exactly defenseless as number of failed campaigns against Korea showed. As such, the tributary relationship was mostly nominal. For example, Song asked Goryeo to help it when Liao invaded Song, even sending dozens of ships full of gifts, yet Koreans ignored the plea every time. Likewise, Song ignored Korea’s plea for help when Goryeo asked Song’s help when Liao invaded Korea.

Mongols changed this equation. Granted it wasn’t the easiest conquest for Mongols either as they had to invaded Korea 9 times before Goryeo king finally surrendered. It was a conditional surrender, so Korea just became a tributary without being absorbed into Mongo empire like China did. However, Korean king was forced to marry Kubilai khan’s daughter, so Goryeo royal lineage became mixed with Mongol imperial family. For next three or four generations, Goryeo kings all married Mongol princesses from this point. This is the only period other than the Japanese occupation, Korea’s independence was just in name only. Goryeo kings considered themselves as much a Mongol imperial prince as he was a Goryeo king. Some of the Korean kings spent most of their lifetime in Karakorum - letting Korea be ruled by bureaucrats. It became so bad that eventually Yuan emperor told his son in law to go back to Korea to rule directly. Interestingly, Liao-dong was also put under Korean king’s administration during this period - this showed that Yuan court saw Korean king as one of their own as well. Lots of Koreans moved to Liao-Dong peninsula during this time as a result of this. While technically Korea still had its king and independent administration, it was hard to tell where Mongol rule ended and Goryeo rule began during this 50 year period.

Ming dynasty and Joseon - this is when Korea adopts Chinese neo-confucianism and become loyal tributary of Ming. It was still very much independent, but it definitely followed Ming’s party-line on almost all international politics. Ming in turn treated Joseon with respect and helped it when Korea was invaded by Japan. Korea in turn also sent military forces when Manchus invaded Ming.

Qing dynasty and Joseon - this was tributary in name only. Probably the only time Korean royal court had nothing but contempt for Chinese court although things do get better by 19th century. Joseon saw Qing as barbarians plain and simple, it accepted Qing’s military superiority and it did its tributary duties - mainly sending tributes, but Joseon really closed off its cultural door to China during this periods. This relationship changes near the end of 19th century as Japan encroached on Korea, Joseon court used its tributary relationship to get Qing’s help in quelling domestic rebellion and check Japanese encroachment. This resulted in Sino-Japan war and Qing’s humiliation and eventual loss of Korea’s independence to Japan.


Unless you are the original commenter, you might want to provide the link. This is the comment at the website I was referring to above.
VETTRLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #39
NBM LS1 M6
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
 
NBM LS1 M6's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2002
Location: I helped our former POSOTUS return the wealth of America to its rightful owners one parcel of real estate at a time.
Posts: 109,965
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Pewter Coupe View Post
It depends on how far back in history you want to go, because yes at several times in the past, Korea has been part of China.. (you too can google it)
Exactly.
NBM LS1 M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #40
JerriVette
CF Senior Member
 
JerriVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Bergen county NJ
Posts: 8,020
Thanked 233 Times in 194 Posts
Default

I wouldn't be surprised if china And or Russia invaded North Korea...

Better that they do an invasion than us...for them and for us...

Russia's on north koreas border with its military prepared and I'm sure china is as well..

We don't care who takes this crazy North Korean leader out as long as he stops threatening an attack on the USA...

We don't really need or want to take over North Korea....let the Chinese have that land or Russia....so they have a buffer to the west ...

What do we care who is in charge over there...as long as they are not going to attack us or threaten to attack us...

I think that would be a smart move by Russia and china to split up North Korea...

The people who live in North Korea would be better off as well...

Jmo
JerriVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Trump states: "Korea actually used to be part of China"
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    North Korea needs some "freedom". Studying4boards Politics, Religion & Controversy 55 07-08-2017 01:04 PM
    John McCain knows North Korea - unlike Iraq & Libya - is not 'low-hanging fruit' Darkman00 Politics, Religion & Controversy 14 05-03-2017 01:21 PM
    AP Explains: How a single Trump sentence enraged South Korea tempest62 Politics, Religion & Controversy 10 04-21-2017 08:58 PM
    Trump Mulls Military Options for North Korea. They're All Grim. Darkman00 Politics, Religion & Controversy 0 04-19-2017 02:46 AM
    China will get better U.S. trade deal if it solves North Korea problem: Trump tempest62 Politics, Religion & Controversy 0 04-12-2017 04:26 PM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 PM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: