College Says Only Blacks Are Allowed To Be Late To Class For Insane Reason - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

College Says Only Blacks Are Allowed To Be Late To Class For Insane Reason

Old 04-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #41
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Be "culturally late" for a train in Switzerland or Germany -- let me know how that works out.
leadfoot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #42
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/

Quote:
Be "culturally late" for a train in Switzerland or Germany -- let me know how that works out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Or car pool with me!

A bunch of years back little construction work in my area. A hundred miles away in Springfield Mass they had a bunch so my union got 4 of us a job there. Three of us were good about car pooling, being there on time.It was set up so your drove your car every 4 day. One fellow was always late so that meant the driver had to go illegally fast and we never got a chance to stop for coffee at a rest area .

Had enough of his bullshit and as I was the next day driver told him I was leaving at the exact time we all agreed upon, I would not wait a second longer for him (5.30 AM)

He was not there and I started to pull out, and he came around the comer at warp speed pulled into a parking spot and quickly ran for my car. He was never late again as the other two guys also said we would now always leave on time.
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #43
BuckeyeZ06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
OP's headline is misleading... naturally, it takes a bit of effort to read beyond the sensational blog headlines (and readers of those blogs generally don't expend such effort), so the origin of this story takes some clicking through.

OP's article is a blog of course, but cites another blog as the source; the source for that blog is yet another blog, the source for that blog is a tabloid (Daily Caller), and the Daily Caller finally links to the original blog posting.
OP's source is 4 steps removed from the original source and things got a little lost in translation.

Here's the original posting:

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9034

Here is the relevant section:

Yes, this is rather silly IMO. However, there is absolutely no mention of blacks, or even of race, just "culture."

Naturally, I was curious which cultures have this notion of time-- since none of the bloggers bothered to do that research, I did!

Turns out that it seems to be a Brazilian thing.

http://ngl.cengage.com/assets/downlo...today_3_su.pdf

It also goes on to state that it's also customary to stay late as well.

Now, I fully agree that American norms should be honored by foreigners in most cases, especially if they are here long term. I mean, we're expected to study the customs of other cultures before traveling abroad, aren't we?

HOWEVER, the filtering through multiple blogs (grapevine effect) has created a false narrative that this is about blacks.
Good work. Thank you.
BuckeyeZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #44
tikiman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I will never understand people who are perpetually late.
tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #45
BuckeyeZ06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman View Post
I've got friends and family, white as can be, that are always late. This problem isn't a "black" thing, a "Brazilian" thing, it's a rudeness thing.

One family within my circle..we tell them things start 1/2 hour before the real time...

Me? I am a "Hurry Up and Wait" guy...
Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #46
URUSAINA
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06 View Post
I've got friends and family, white as can be, that are always late. This problem isn't a "black" thing, a "Brazilian" thing, it's a rudeness thing.

One family within my circle..we tell them things start 1/2 hour before the real time...

I know a salt & pepper pair of guys who travel together and are ALWAYS late.....
URUSAINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #47
Highpower500
CF Senior Member

This happens in other cultures too. My son has some good friends who are Native American. When they were younger he would visit friends on the reservation for video game parties. If his friend said be there at noon, he would be there at noon. The other natives would show up at 2. My son said only the white guys showed up on time. The Indians would all joke about it.
Highpower500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #48
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '09

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.That which does not kill me will probably hurt like hell. Obama-shortest legacy ever!

bet they weren't late when the bars open.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #49
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman View Post
Self centered douche nozzles who don't give a damn about anyone else or wasting other people's time. My wife has a friend like that. A truly selfish Hebrew bitch who's always late. Meeting up with a group of her friends, she's always late, and I always tell everyone to go in and get seated and order, she arrives half way through dinner and tries to give us a Jewish guilt trip for not waiting.
Red99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #50
H P Bushrod
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Roadster View Post
And people wonder why there's racism....

You'd think blacks would be raising 10 kinds of hell about being held to a lower standard. That's REAL racism right there, this is what white liberals really think of black people.
Be on time or get your black *** out. NO CP TIME ALLOWED. I'm sick of this liberal BS.
H P Bushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #51
PeterSG
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Location: NCM Lifetime Member --- Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds a man down or polishes him depends upon the stuff he is made of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shor0814 View Post
Keep researching, it isn't just Brazilians. I have worked in many countries around the world and a surprising number have some concept of "[name of country] standard time" where lateness is just normal.
Quote:
There is a pattern: The world's most economically, technologically advanced and prosperous nations follow rules. Not only being on time, but meeting project schedules through diligence and unrelenting hard work. As people used to in the USA.

There is a correlation between work ethic and success. Yes, really.

Last edited by PeterSG; 04-21-2017 at 04:23 PM.
PeterSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #52
VITE1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Location: Port St Lucie FL Life is hard, Then you die, FL USA

Quote:

I spent my career in sales. 15 minutes early was considered on time. I have hundreds of encounters with people who are habitually late. Its a power trip for most of them. I've actually walked out of meeting room because people did not show up with in 15 minutes of the starting time.

Screw thier mind games.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #53
BuckeyeZ06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post

I spent my career in sales. 15 minutes early was considered on time. I have hundreds of encounters with people who are habitually late. Its a power trip for most of them. I've actually walked out of meeting room because people did not show up with in 15 minutes of the starting time.

Screw thier mind games.
Funny thing..me, the "Hurry Up and Wait guy?" I'm the one who made, and kept, the most money. I wonder if there is any correlation. Lol
Old 04-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #54
VITE1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Location: Port St Lucie FL Life is hard, Then you die, FL USA

Quote:
Funny thing..me, the "Hurry Up and Wait guy?" I'm the one who made, and kept, the most money. I wonder if there is any correlation. Lol
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • College Says Only Blacks Are Allowed To Be Late To Class For Insane Reason
  •