Unseen Pictures Of The Biggest Tank Battle of WWII - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Unseen Pictures Of The Biggest Tank Battle of WWII

Old 04-21-2017, 03:59 AM   #21
NBM LS1 M6
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Location: I helped our former POSOTUS return the wealth of America to its rightful owners one parcel of real estate at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Pewter Coupe View Post
Ummm, the Germans were just as bad, or worse than the Soviets in WW2.. (or you could say that the Soviets were just as bad as the Germans).. both killed millions of people by execution, but since Germany was the loosing side, they got the majority of the bad press.

NBM LS1 M6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #22
billyboy47
CF Senior Member

You guy's are missing the point. Even Patton knew that one day America would have problems with the Russians unless they were put in their place. We would have no problem defeating Germany had we let them go on to defeat the Russians and kick their *** back 100 years, technology speaking of course. They wouldn't be the super power they are today and it would be one less problem for America. Truman, like Obozo wouldn't have none of it and became very critical of Patton as he did with MacArthur later on in the Korean war.
billyboy47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #23
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327
Support Corvetteforum!
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Dont want to go too far off topic, but if you're interested in Armored battles, check out TheFires of Babylon by Mike Guardia. It's a good read about the battle at the 73rd Easting during the Iraq war. I went to Armor school with Mike, He's a good guy.
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #24
Darkman00
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy47 View Post
You guy's are missing the point. Even Patton knew that one day America would have problems with the Russians unless they were put in their place. We would have no problem defeating Germany had we let them go on to defeat the Russians and kick their *** back 100 years, technology speaking of course. They wouldn't be the super power they are today and it would be one less problem for America. Truman, like Obozo wouldn't have none of it and became very critical of Patton as he did with MacArthur later on in the Korean war.
woulda coulda shoulda
Darkman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #25
BoostManiac
CF Senior Member

Germany was certainly no worse than the USSR, just more ambitious and more organized.

Isn't it interesting how you never hear the left criticizing communism? Mao can even be openly praised with no consequence.
BoostManiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #26
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBIRD57 View Post
history channel did a great job on this monumental battle. Americans should be very thankful OUR Shermans weren't involved.

hitler even ordered the once vaunted tigers to retire(retreat)-huge russian casualities, but the ***** had so victimized russia that
tigers, waffen, luftwaffe, or anything else hitler could throw at them was not going to stop them until they pulverized them into the ground. finally taking the reichstag and putting their flag on top and adolf putting a bullet in his head was a fitting end.

after watching all the stories about what the Germans had done
i must admit at times i don't think enough of them were ever executed.
israel must have or should have had a longer hit list.

after watching all the stories about what the JAPANESE had done to people, i feel the same. although i understand why we didn't hang that SOB emperor whose deluded soldiers were killing themselves and others innocent humans in his name still makes me angry. the little runt should have drawn his sword and charged on his horse and died in his own name.

CHINA TO THEIR CREDIT HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN NOR TOTALLY FORGIVEN. THEY ARE INCENSED BY JAPAN'S REVISIONIST VERSION OF THE WAR AND REMEMBERING THE LIKES OF TOJO!

sorry i went a little off topic, but anybody who sees what those countries did can't help but be moved. how the greatest generations of the usa and russia ever were able to cope as best they did is amazing.
The entire set of events was much more complicated than what random TV shows ever project. All the raging armies employed locals to do their dirty work, learning the idea from Dutch East India company a century before. The atrocities the Germans and Russians rained down upon each other more than balanced the field between them. Instead of TV shows, try talking to the old people who lived through the events...as I have all my life. Too bad there will never be an honest book on the fall of Berlin, the horror and the scheming that led to it. As for the Asian conflict, the wounds are still raw, the reasons for leaving the Emperor in charge went far beyond what most will ever understand that aren't Asian. McArthur drove that choice, and was right in doing so.
RandolphB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #27
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member

Default hope many many people

read your post as we again seem eager to send our troops into harm's way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
My high school language teacher used the term "The romance of War". After I returned from Viet Nam I understood what the term meant......Young men go into war with high ideals and return home with nightmares of reality.

TBIRD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #28
BoostManiac
CF Senior Member

Quote:
....hence Patton's "accidental" death shortly after the War. He was no longer needed.
BoostManiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #29
mhill0531
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman00 View Post
My grandfather ( on my father's side ) participated in WWII ... in artillery ... got wounded in his behind ... not too bad, slightly ... made it back!
My grandfather also served in WW II. He was a Radioman, and was awarded the Bronze Star for actions at the Battle of Hurtgen Forest, just prior to the Battle of the Bulge.

Last edited by mhill0531; 04-21-2017 at 02:41 PM.
mhill0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #30
VETTRLZ
CF Senior Member

Quote:
My grandfather ( on my father's side ) participated in WWII ... in artillery ... got wounded in his behind ... not too bad, slightly ... made it back!

VETTRLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #31
VETTRLZ
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill0531 View Post
My grandfather also served in WW II. He was a Radioman, and was awarded the Bronze Star for actions at the Battle of Hurtgen Forest, just prior to the Battle of the Bulge.

My grandfather on my mom's side was in the 3rd Army under Patton. He was taken prisoner for a couple of months. Luckily the war was coming to an end, and shortly after the Battle of the Bulge he was liberated by American troops. He also won the Bronze Star (I don't know where the action was... somewhere in Northern France), the Purple Heart, and was awarded the French Croix de Guerre, pinned on him by Charles de Gaulle himself.

VETTRLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #32
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '17

Grandfather was 82nd Airborne during Market Garden.

Father was 5th Mech in DaNang Vietnam.

Me OIF and OEF in various places.

Love war history.
Z06PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #33
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '17

Great pics! The son and I will watch Dunkirk as soon as it is released.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #34
mhill0531
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PSI View Post
Love war history.
My favorite piece of war history is a letter my grandfather wrote to his sister ~36 hours before the Battle of Hurtgen Forest got underway. He wrote it from a foxhole, and it had almost every human emotion in one letter. Fear, pride, anger, sorrow, determination, humor, etc.

When I hold it in my hands, I actually fee like I am holding the original Constitution or Declaration of Independence.

Granted, I am biased, but it's a truly remarkable piece of paper that never fails to blow my mind.
mhill0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #35
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill0531 View Post
My favorite piece of war history is a letter my grandfather wrote to his sister ~36 hours before the Battle of Hurtgen Forest got underway. He wrote it from a foxhole, and it had almost every human emotion in one letter. Fear, pride, anger, sorrow, determination, humor, etc.

When I hold it in my hands, I actually fee like I am holding the original Constitution or Declaration of Independence.

Granted, I am biased, but it's a truly remarkable piece of paper that never fails to blow my mind.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:03 AM   #36
larrysb
CF Senior Member

Actually, Hitler and Stalin had a pact, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact.

The two evil pieces of **** had an agreement to slice up all of Europe between the two of them. They participated together in industrial scale torture and murder of Polish prisoners (some 300,000) and spread cooperative death and mayhem.

Hitler eventually double crossed Stalin - no doubt Stalin would have happily double crossed Hitler, it was really just a matter of time who would cross who first.

Everyone on the allied side knew Stalin was every bit as bad as Hitler, but it was expedient to have the Soviets and the Germans fighting, which sapped a great deal of Hitler's strength.

And that's how we got the cold war and at least 60-million people murdered by their own governments in Communist countries. Stalin and Mao literally upped an order of magnitude over Hitler in the number of people they murdered.

Quote:
Too bad the Germans didn't kick their communist asses all the way into Siberia. If not for the US entering the war, they would have done just that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Pewter Coupe View Post
Ummm, the Germans were just as bad, or worse than the Soviets in WW2.. (or you could say that the Soviets were just as bad as the Germans).. both killed millions of people by execution, but since Germany was the loosing side, they got the majority of the bad press.
Quote:
Germans started the war with Russia ... Russia didn't attack Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach View Post
Wow! And all this time I thought the Germans were trying to conquer the world and picked too many fights at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostManiac View Post
Germany was certainly no worse than the USSR, just more ambitious and more organized.

Isn't it interesting how you never hear the left criticizing communism? Mao can even be openly praised with no consequence.
larrysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #37
virtue4u
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Bull ... But we can only disagree or argue in hypothetical terms now.

Russians would defeat Germans anyhow.

The Americans had basically nothing to do with the Russian victory over the ***** at Stalingrad -- the turning point of the war.

Community organizer Hitler was warned by his generals about over-extending and dividing his forces at Stalingrad. He didn't listen.

By the way, community organizer Obama was warned by his generals about a hasty retreat from Iraq. He didn't listen either.

Thank God we finally have in the White House someone who listens to the experts.

Last edited by virtue4u; 04-22-2017 at 07:34 AM.
virtue4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #38
VITE1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Location: Port St Lucie FL Life is hard, Then you die, FL USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
My high school language teacher used the term "The romance of War". After I returned from Viet Nam I understood what the term meant......Young men go into war with high ideals and return home with nightmares of reality.

If they come home.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #39
blaforce
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

A little of topic but interesting. An article further down mentions nukes still missing from plane crashes.
blaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #40
BobG
CF Senior Member

I've always been fascinated by WWII. I suppose it's because when I was a kid, pro-American WWII movies were quite frequently shown on TV. (obviously never gonna happen with todays anti-American liberal propagandists in charge) And as i got older when I found out that I had family who had fought and died, as well as worked with guys who'd been there, it became even more interesting. So, I really enjoyed the links to those pictures.

I can totally relate to the feeling of awe from holding a letter written by a relative from the battlefield. My father in law was a B17 gunner, and one time a flak shell exploded right underneath his ball turret. It was close enough that shrapnel penetrated the glass, and he could feel it "pepper' the steel plate he was sitting on. A piece also severed one of the hydraulic lines that were used to rotate the turret, and it leaked all over him. With the warm, red fluid flowing on him, he thought he was hit.. Since the ball would not rotate, they were lucky to be able manually get it in a position he could be pulled out of it before they landed. Before he was extracted, he picked up a few pieces of the shrapnel that remained inside the glass, and still has these. It is a very odd feeling to hold these bits of metal that were designed to kill my wonderful wife's dad, realizing that if they had been successful, I would have never met her. It's like a living piece of history, even though it's just a hunk of metal.

Oh and that's a cool site to just read through. I had a great laugh at L. Ron Hubbard's (yeah, that guy) military "career"...It sort of puts his whole religion into focus. I think he'd be considered "mainstream" with the liberals of today, and zerobumma probably would have made him an Admiral..LOL And the video on the making of "we were soldiers" is pretty interesting too.

Last edited by BobG; 04-22-2017 at 09:30 AM.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Unseen Pictures Of The Biggest Tank Battle of WWII
  •