Unseen Pictures Of The Biggest Tank Battle of WWII - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Unseen Pictures Of The Biggest Tank Battle of WWII

Old 04-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
Trainman-2
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Unseen Pictures Of The Biggest Tank Battle of WWII

Aug 5, 2016
Damian Lucjan
War History Online

The Battle of Kursk was a World War II engagement between German and Soviet forces on the Eastern Front near Kursk in the Soviet Union during July and August 1943. The German offensive was code-named Operation Citadel and led to one of the largest armoured clashes in history, the Battle of Prokhorovka.

The German offensive was countered by two Soviet counter-offensives, Operation Polkovodets Rumyantsev and Operation Kutuzov. For the Germans, the battle represented the final strategic offensive they were able to mount in the east. For the Soviets, the victory gave the Red Army the strategic initiative for the rest of the war.

A number of German war photographers were present to record the epic struggle, which was meant to be **** Germanyís biggest victory over Soviet Russia.

Follow the link below for the photos:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/wor...e-of-wwii.html
Trainman-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
30YR W8T
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." Calvin Coolidge

Great book written by David L. Robbins about this event. Title of the book is "Last Citadel" and it tells the story of this battle from the viewpoint of those engages in it. Very interesting read.
30YR W8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
Darkman00
CF Senior Member

My grandfather ( on my father's side ) participated in WWII ... in artillery ... got wounded in his behind ... not too bad, slightly ... made it back!
Darkman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
BenThere
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman00 View Post
My grandfather ( on my father's side ) participated in WWII ... in artillery ... got wounded in his behind ... not too bad, slightly ... made it back!
Friendly fire, I presume.......
BenThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
billyboy47
CF Senior Member

Too bad the Germans didn't kick their communist asses all the way into Siberia. If not for the US entering the war, they would have done just that.
billyboy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
Lord.Baal
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy47 View Post
Too bad the Germans didn't kick their communist asses all the way into Siberia. If not for the US entering the war, they would have done just that.
Lord.Baal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
Darkman00
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThere View Post

Friendly fire, I presume.......
Not even sure now ... I was still a kid .. and either forgot, never knew such details, didn't pay attention or details were never revealed ( or not to me anyhow ).
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

My high school language teacher used the term "The romance of War". After I returned from Viet Nam I understood what the term meant......Young men go into war with high ideals and return home with nightmares of reality.

doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #9
Darkman00
CF Senior Member

Quote:

Bull ... But we can only disagree or argue in hypothetical terms now.

Russians would defeat Germans anyhow.

**** that **** ... A mean thing to say actually. You didn't live there. All my relatives and I did though. Regular Russian people are not bad people, I can assure you of that ... even though many of them were brainwashed to grow up anti-Semitic, but that really besides the point here.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #10
billyboy47
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Bull ... But we can only disagree or argue in hypothetical terms now.

Russians would defeat Germans anyhow.

**** that **** ... A mean thing to say actually. You didn't live there. All my relatives and I did though. Regular Russian people are not bad people, I can assure you of that ... even though many of them were brainwashed to grow up anti-Semitic, but that really besides the point here.
Sorry, even Patton knew the Russians would one day be a problem. Regular German people weren't bad either, brain washed maybe, but not bad. Hell, even Americans were brain washed by Obozo.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #11
Darkman00
CF Senior Member

.. still are ...
Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #12
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

It's fascinating to read of this battle. You can read that the Russians won and you can read that the Germans won. However, it's clear from history that even if you assume the Germans won, it was a Pyrrhic victory. The Germans would never recoup their losses. Russian tank factories, east of the Urals, quickly replaced their destroyed tanks. The Germans did not have enough manufacturing capability to replace their destroyed tanks. With their losses at Stalingrad and losses in this battle, the Germans were in a death spiral to loose the war...big time.
68/70Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #13
billyboy47
CF Senior Member

Quote:
.. still are ...
Wow, you're quick.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #14
Darkman00
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Wow, you're quick.

Thanks ...
Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #15
billyboy47
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks ...
Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 AM   #16
C5 Pewter Coupe
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Ummm, the Germans were just as bad, or worse than the Soviets in WW2.. (or you could say that the Soviets were just as bad as the Germans).. both killed millions of people by execution, but since Germany was the loosing side, they got the majority of the bad press.
C5 Pewter Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:32 AM   #17
Darkman00
CF Senior Member

Germans started the war with Russia ... Russia didn't attack Germany
Old 04-21-2017, 02:32 AM   #18
JrRifleCoach
CF Senior Member

Location: Criminals obey guns laws like politicians follow their oath to office Republik of Kalifornico"

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Pewter Coupe View Post
. both killed millions of people by execution, but since Germany was the loosing side, they got the majority of the bad press.
Wow! And all this time I thought the Germans were trying to conquer the world and picked too many fights at once.
JrRifleCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:41 AM   #19
Darkman00
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach View Post
Wow! And all this time I thought the Germans were trying to conquer the world and picked too many fights at once.
Never mind all that ... -- cuz whatever you heard / read here in PR&C is 100% accurate and true.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:23 AM   #20
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member

Default hell on earth encounter

history channel did a great job on this monumental battle. Americans should be very thankful OUR Shermans weren't involved.

hitler even ordered the once vaunted tigers to retire(retreat)-huge russian casualities, but the ****s had so victimized russia that
tigers, waffen, luftwaffe, or anything else hitler could throw at them was not going to stop them until they pulverized them into the ground. finally taking the reichstag and putting their flag on top and adolf putting a bullet in his head was a fitting end.

after watching all the stories about what the Germans had done
i must admit at times i don't think enough of them were ever executed.
israel must have or should have had a longer hit list.

after watching all the stories about what the JAPANESE had done to people, i feel the same. although i understand why we didn't hang that SOB emperor whose deluded soldiers were killing themselves and others innocent humans in his name still makes me angry. the little runt should have drawn his sword and charged on his horse and died in his own name.

CHINA TO THEIR CREDIT HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN NOR TOTALLY FORGIVEN. THEY ARE INCENSED BY JAPAN'S REVISIONIST VERSION OF THE WAR AND REMEMBERING THE LIKES OF TOJO!

sorry i went a little off topic, but anybody who sees what those countries did can't help but be moved. how the greatest generations of the usa and russia ever were able to cope as best they did is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman-2 View Post
Aug 5, 2016
Damian Lucjan
War History Online

The Battle of Kursk was a World War II engagement between German and Soviet forces on the Eastern Front near Kursk in the Soviet Union during July and August 1943. The German offensive was code-named Operation Citadel and led to one of the largest armoured clashes in history, the Battle of Prokhorovka.

The German offensive was countered by two Soviet counter-offensives, Operation Polkovodets Rumyantsev and Operation Kutuzov. For the Germans, the battle represented the final strategic offensive they were able to mount in the east. For the Soviets, the victory gave the Red Army the strategic initiative for the rest of the war.

A number of German war photographers were present to record the epic struggle, which was meant to be **** Germanyís biggest victory over Soviet Russia.

Follow the link below for the photos:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/wor...e-of-wwii.html
TBIRD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Unseen Pictures Of The Biggest Tank Battle of WWII
  •