4th... Tiger Woods undergoes successful back surgery; likely to miss majors this year - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

4th... Tiger Woods undergoes successful back surgery; likely to miss majors this year

Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #21
jcharity
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest62 View Post
he was my golf hero too, till he went FUBAR with his sexual exploits, in every city.

i have this standing principle where i don't dig that, and it far overshadows sportsman prowess.
I didn't care how many women he had sex with. He was golf.
Glass houses is appropriate for so many that criticized Tiger's extracurricular activities.
jcharity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #22
meadowz06
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Woods=scum of the earth!
meadowz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #23
tempest62
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcharity View Post
I didn't care how many women he had sex with. He was golf.
Glass houses is appropriate for so many that criticized Tiger's extracurricular activities.
understood

in my case, i can criticize him for it and i do. not my scene, i never operated that way, and it reveals an extreme character problem. and i have a problem with that.
tempest62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #24
mhill0531
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '10

Location: Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley...SOMEONE BRING ME MY BRANDY!!!

The thing that made Tiger the most dominant golfer in his era of winning an absurd 24% of PGA events he entered (more on that in a second) was work. He simply outworked, out-practiced and out-prepared everyone else. In the early part of his dominance, he was simply longer off the tee, but as equipment tightened that up and he became an average driver of the ball by tour standards, his short game and putting became otherworldly. And that was all work, practice and preparation.

That was the coachable thing about Tiger. You can point to him and say "see, that's where hard work ad dedication get you." And then you can use his forays into chicks, doing 'roids (and we all know he is the end result of years of juicing now), and trying to do things the lazy way with shortcuts and less work, and show how that goes. He's a walking metaphor for hard work as well as lack thereof.

But back to that one stat, so people can wrap their head around it...he won 1 of every 4 PGA events he ever entered. Just ponder that one fact for a second. There are guys who go a entire career (I am looking at you, Charles Howell) and never win or grab just one, maybe two wins. And Tiger won 1 of every 4 he ever entered.

And while Jack has more majors, Tiger has more wins than Jack. An while Snead has more wins, Tiger has more majors than Sam.

I'll always consider Nicklaus the best golfer of all time, but Tiger is the clear #2 and there's really nobody else close imho.

But yeah...steroids. Don't do them.
mhill0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #25
LFZ
CF Senior Member

So sad for the GOAT.........I would have loved to have seen him come back...he still could perhaps...
LFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #26
mhill0531
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFZ View Post
So sad for the GOAT.........I would have loved to have seen him come back...he still could perhaps...
He can't hang with guys like DJ and Day off the tee. He was never that accurate of a driver, even in his most dominant years, and those guys are not just 50-60 yards longer, they are more accurate.

Tiger's personality won't let him adopt Zach Johnson golf of layups, positioning, etc. He's too alpha male, Type A Red for that. So he has surgeries, more 'roids and goes on powerlifting sprees so he can try to be like Dustin Johnson.

His biggest obstacle to a return to winning golf is all in his head.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #27
LFZ
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill0531 View Post
He can't hang with guys like DJ and Day off the tee. He was never that accurate of a driver, even in his most dominant years, and those guys are not just 50-60 yards longer, they are more accurate.

Tiger's personality won't let him adopt Zach Johnson golf of layups, positioning, etc. He's too alpha male, Type A Red for that. So he has surgeries, more 'roids and goes on powerlifting sprees so he can try to be like Dustin Johnson.

His biggest obstacle to a return to winning golf is all in his head.
TW in his prime was still 10x any golfer out there today. He may not be able to "hang" with guys today, because of his limitations and health...but make no mistake, TW was driving the ball 300+ yards '90s technology golf equipment.
LFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #28
jcharity
CF Senior Member

Quote:
TW in his prime was still 10x any golfer out there today. He may not be able to "hang" with guys today, because of his limitations and health...but make no mistake, TW was driving the ball 300+ yards '90s technology golf equipment.
jcharity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #29
mhill0531
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '10

Quote:
I already said he was longer than everyone else, BUT NOT ACCURATE. Tiger Woods was never better than mediocre in fairways hit %. To verify this, I took his PGA Tour rank in driving accuracy every year from 1997-2007, which was his era of dominance, and his average yearly rank in fairways hit from the tee was 126th.

He was always top 5 in distance and bottom 20% in accuracy. His best year of driving ever he was 54th in driving accuracy. Not shockingly, that was also the greatest single year of golf anyone ever had (year 2000) and included the greatest four rounds of golf ever played by anyone, ever (TW and his 2000 US Open victory by 15 strokes).

But that was one of only two years he was in the top half of the PGA Tour for driving accuracy, so my earlier point stands, tyvm.

And around 2005-2006, technology started letting everyone catch him and plenty of guys surpassed him in distance, but his accuracy went down. After 2002, he was never above 139th on tour again. Now, he made up for i with the rest of his game, but that was all part of out-work, out-practice, out-prepare. Family + mistresses + amateur powerlifting career + endorsement responsibilities + global jet setting = less work, less practice, less preparation = fewer wins on PGA Tour. And now physical problems, time and age have caught him, despite him trying to run away on the steroid train. He can still compete, but he'd need to adopt a game suited for smaller, weaker guys. Go figure the Tiger Woods ego playing short guy, layup, strategic golf.

Last edited by mhill0531; 04-21-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #30
scottycards
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Went and watched him at Torrey this year, knowing it might be his last real outing.

He was paired with DJ and Day. DJ was longest all day, Day second, Tiger about 50 yards back. They all missed the cut.

One of the GOATs, for sure. Inspired so many to take up the game. His charity is off the charts. Not the first guy to have a marriage go sideways and get some strange on the side. Considering his fame, success, and financial means, I'd probably have done a lot worse. So credit for (mostly) holding it together for all those years under that kind of pressure and temptation. Let's not forget, Tiger's not the only one who strayed off the straight and narrow. DJ had a little struggle with the booger sugar......

Enjoy retirement Tiger. You deserve it. Thank you for all the fantastic memories, and all you did for the game.

A few pics:

Last edited by scottycards; 04-21-2017 at 11:29 AM.
scottycards is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • 4th... Tiger Woods undergoes successful back surgery; likely to miss majors this year
  •