You Can’t Fire Bill O’Reilly - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

You Can’t Fire Bill O’Reilly

Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 AM   #1
Trainman-2
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default You Can’t Fire Bill O’Reilly

April 21, 2017
By Colin Flaherty

Fox cannot fire Bill O’Reilly because it is not their platform. That belongs to me. And you. And O’Reilly.

It certainly does not belong to a couple of trust fund kids and their trophy wives playing dress-up with Daddy’s toys.

Nor does it belong to clueless analysts who say no one will notice when O’Reilly does not show up for work this week. "Fox has built a powerful platform that is the go-to place for people with a certain worldview and so to some degree it doesn’t matter who is on,” said Brian Wieser, a senior analyst of advertising, media and internet at Pivotal Research Group LLC.

We are not talking about retiring Babe Ruth because he can no longer hit the curve ball. O’Reilly is at the peak of his game. At the peak of his connection with his audience. Ratings show that.

Even so, without advertisers, ratings are moot. Maybe O’Reilly will turn out to be the greatest sex criminal of the 21st century. But whatever the truth of the allegations against him, they are clouded by an organized campaign to target his advertisers and get him off the air.

And they are celebrating their victory, not over O’Reilly, but over us. Because O’Reilly’s fans are their targets. His platform. our platform. We count on O’Reilly for gutsy and penetrating television news. The kind you cannot get on any other network. Or any other show on his now former network.

O’Reilly’s adversaries — our adversaries — hate, yes hate, how he so easily sees through their hoax of the month, whether that be global warming, evil bankers, sympathetic criminals, Black Lives Matter, Cops Lives Don’t Matter, lower taxes, fewer sex offenders, real borders, and free people with guns and money to use as they choose.

Not the way the latest Hillary clone wants us to.

Now they think they have won. But that is a just another hoax O’Reilly can slice and dice away when he chooses.

Now that O’Reilly is no longer on Fox, do the enemies of O’Reilly think that’s it? He just goes away? We go away? Just pretend that millions and millions of people will no longer rely on him for news, information and entertainment?

What is this, 1954? An era in which media giants waved their magic antennae, making and breaking TV stars on a whim?

No.

Today, people build their own connections. And if that is what O’Reilly wants, that is what his audience will give him.

Think of all the new shows on new networks struggling to find viewers. Netflix and Amazon have more new shows than Jesse Watters has funny bits.

So while clueless Fox executives push O’Reilly out the door, does anyone really believe that dozens of other mini-moguls are not dying to get O’Reilly and his audience?

Of course they will.

O’Reilly is not Katie Couric, sitting on a couch for Yahoo, frittering away viewers with casual chat and pretensions of journalistic grandeur.

Whatever made him great, more importantly, whatever made him popular, has not changed. If Ford does not want O’Reilly, that’s fine. We don’t need Fords. They are not the only car company in the world.

The big secret of TV news is that the people in charge are there because they spent too much time at Radio Shack when they were kids. O’Reilly can set up a studio in his garage, and still have room for a car and boat, if that is what he wants.

And no one will know the difference. Earlier this week, the AP changed the wording of a black killer when he killed three white people in Fresno, conveniently transforming "allahu akhbar" to "God is great." The change materially affected the story. O’Reilly would have been all over that in a way only he can.

So his time is not over. Not yet.

Tucker Carlson is a great guy. People like him well enough. But he’s no O’Reilly.

I might not watch O’Reilly every night, but when I want something with a bit of a news edge — and yes, something with No Spin — O’Reilly is what I want.

And today, with a couple of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, that is what O’Reilly can give us.

So we wait.

Colin Flaherty is the author of the Amazon #1 best seller, Don’t Make the Black Kids Angry.

http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...l_oreilly.html
Trainman-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
jmc12
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Good read..
jmc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
GARYFINN
CF Senior Member

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that

GARYFINN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
Cooter Tech
CF Senior Member

Time for a Conservative station. Conservative business advertising and support, arm sales advertising, safe gun instructions and reviews, no PC allowed. There is a demand for this. Hopefully oreily and his people are working on this. Buy a faltering cable station and build the format for conservatives. Let the liberals continue to cry. Time to start fighting back against the attack of the liberals continuous shut down of our principals and beliefs.
Cooter Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
69er
CF Senior Member

69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter Tech View Post
Time for a Conservative station. Conservative business advertising and support, arm sales advertising, safe gun instructions and reviews, no PC allowed. There is a demand for this. Hopefully oreily and his people are working on this. Buy a faltering cable station and build the format for conservatives. Let the liberals continue to cry. Time to start fighting back against the attack of the liberals continuous shut down of our principals and beliefs.
LarsAtTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
Elba Mike
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '16

I've always felt that O'Reilly was a bully and a bit of an *******, so I didn't watch his show very often even though I agree with the majority of his positions. The new bosses at FOX are, IMO, a bunch of pussies. O'Reilly has been convicted of nothing, has been legally charged with nothing, and yet is kicked to the curb to appease the PC crowd. That's the world we live in, and I'm not fond of it.
Elba Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #8
BobG
CF Senior Member

Seems reasonable to me. If you can "connect" through one camera, another is no different. The question will be whether he was doing what he does for the money, or because he truly wanted to educate people about the dangers of the corrupt liberals and their activities to oppress Americans.

I'm sure he could find a "job" at several news outlets. Question is, would he be happy with the paycheck? Or would their editorial policy require him to change his message?

From my perspective, since i'm not much of a tv news watcher, the "loss" doesn't stem from the loss of his admittedly moderate perspective, but from the loss of what I once perceived as an alternative to the propaganda arm of the anti-American liberal morons. Like a good friend, they were my 'go-to' network in times of need, providing information that was not littered with propaganda, providing a breath of fresh air and hope in times of crisis. Fox "firing" him over unsubstantiated accusations of such horrible use of bad words like "hot chocolate" (wow, what do you know, the swear filter needs to be updated, LOL) just proves how fake that perception was. Who would have thought that at my age, I'd have any innocence yet to lose, but that's the best way to describe it.

I wish Mr. O'Reilly well, and hope he finds a way to continue to expose the corrupt liberal oppression scheme for what it really is, if that's his desire. And I wish fox a fast, messy, and very expensive slide into the oblivion of the rest of the liberal propaganda news outlets, for that is the path they have chosen. So long old (fake) friend.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
Seems reasonable to me. If you can "connect" through one camera, another is no different. The question will be whether he was doing what he does for the money, or because he truly wanted to educate people about the dangers of the corrupt liberals and their activities to oppress Americans.

I'm sure he could find a "job" at several news outlets. Question is, would he be happy with the paycheck? Or would their editorial policy require him to change his message?

From my perspective, since i'm not much of a tv news watcher, the "loss" doesn't stem from the loss of his admittedly moderate perspective, but from the loss of what I once perceived as an alternative to the propaganda arm of the anti-American liberal morons. Like a good friend, they were my 'go-to' network in times of need, providing information that was not littered with propaganda, providing a breath of fresh air and hope in times of crisis. Fox "firing" him over unsubstantiated accusations of such horrible use of bad words like "hot chocolate" (wow, what do you know, the swear filter needs to be updated, LOL) just proves how fake that perception was. Who would have thought that at my age, I'd have any innocence yet to lose, but that's the best way to describe it.

I wish Mr. O'Reilly well, and hope he finds a way to continue to expose the corrupt liberal oppression scheme for what it really is, if that's his desire. And I wish fox a fast, messy, and very expensive slide into the oblivion of the rest of the liberal propaganda news outlets, for that is the path they have chosen. So long old (fake) friend.
I like this post
LarsAtTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #10
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elba Mike View Post
I've always felt that O'Reilly was a bully and a bit of an *******, so I didn't watch his show very often even though I agree with the majority of his positions. The new bosses at FOX are, IMO, a bunch of pussies. O'Reilly has been convicted of nothing, has been legally charged with nothing, and yet is kicked to the curb to appease the PC crowd. That's the world we live in, and I'm not fond of it.
leadfoot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
69er
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
He got a $25MM payoff to depart....he ain't hurting. Love him or hate him I don't know who will fill the void.
No one will fill the void.
FOX just committed ratings suicide.
MSNBC and CNN rating will pull of ahead of FOX..
Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #12
Cooter Tech
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=Elba Mike;1594575752]I've always felt that O'Reilly was a bully and a bit of an *******, so I didn't watch his show very often even though I agree with the majority of his positions. The new bosses at FOX are, IMO, a bunch of pussies. O'Reilly has been convicted of nothing, has been legally charged with nothing, and yet is kicked to the curb to appease the PC crowd. That's the world we live in, and I'm not fond of it.[/QUOTE

Maybe he was a bully, but he did expose the hypocrisy of the left and challenged them on their views. He exposed the stupidity of many of his guests, by just letting the blabber. If that is being a bully so be it. How many Geraldo riverias (SP) can a news channel support?
Cooter Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
blaforce
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69er View Post
The brothers will pull Fox farther and farther to the left until it just becomes another CNN. Fox will just blend in with the other news networks.
blaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #14
duramaxsky
CF Senior Member

Quote:
No those 2 networks are dead. That won't change. People will still watch FOX as long as the basic format stays the same. If not the new internet networks will replace them and they will go away. Cable TV is on it's way out anyway. Internet TV can be watched at your preferred schedule. Just click on the episode you want any time of day after it is put up. And they will soon be adding live stuff as well when that is needed. O Reilly will go to one of those if he wants to stay on the air.
duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #15
69er
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaforce View Post
The brothers will pull Fox farther and farther to the left until it just becomes another CNN. Fox will just blend in with the other news networks.
Even if that happens,FOX will still be #3.

Sort of how Buick will always have the senior citizen stigma.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #16
Mr D.
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
And I wish fox a fast, messy, and very expensive slide into the oblivion of the rest of the liberal propaganda news outlets, for that is the path they have chosen. So long old (fake) friend.
I only watch about 1 hr Fox News around bedtime and my XM radio in the truck stays on FN so I have come to enjoy this news outlet over the years and agree with Bob that its headed in the wrong direction.
Mr D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #17
jerrybramlett
CF Senior Member

Default Huh?

EXACTLY what was the man accused of doing? All I've heard is women complaining that he said they were good looking or made of chocolate(?). Did he ever touch a woman or ask one of them to do something sexual?
jerrybramlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #18
Krystal
CF Senior Member

Quote:
No they won't.......... FOX will probably see no decline in ratings at all.

The reason FOX does so well vs the others is because they are the only thing on TV of size that isn't decidedly Liberal. The country is pretty split between a Liberal and Conservative BIAS.

MSNBC, CNN and all the Net work news from more traditional CBS, ABC and NBC are fighting for that 50% that identifies as LIBERAL and watches cable......a shrinking group of younger potential viewers makes this even tougher for them. An awful lot of young people today don't even bother with cable.

Meanwhile FOX is just about your only choice if you lean to the right........it's certainly just about all you've got on Cable. Then there is the demographic picture of Conservatives who tend to be older and more likely to be a cable or satellite subscriber....

It all adds up to FOX dominating with or without Bill.
Krystal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #19
vader86
CF Senior Member

Well I think Fox will still dominate but their ratings at 8pm will take a hit.
vader86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #20
Krystal
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elba Mike View Post
NOPE.......he was ousted at the board level.

It was the defection of the only thing that matters.......nothing PC at FOX did this.

It was all about advertisers leaving.........and revenue impacted.

FOX had a winner in Bill for many years.........but he'd become a liability.

If you were expecting more loyalty........you were expecting WAY TOO MUCH.

No TV personality can survive when the advertisers say they have to go in this business.

Last edited by Krystal; 04-21-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Krystal is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • You Can’t Fire Bill O’Reilly
  •