Net Neutrality is a Fancy Term for Internet Socialism - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Net Neutrality is a Fancy Term for Internet Socialism

Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Net Neutrality is a Fancy Term for Internet Socialism

Reply

 
 
 
Old 05-21-2018, 05:30 AM
  #41  
owebo
CF Senior Member
 
owebo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Washigton, DC
Posts: 103,560
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16
Default

Originally Posted by NY09C6 View Post
This is not what net neutrality is.
They just make **** up because it feels good to them....
owebo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:57 AM
  #42  
British
CF Senior Member
 
British's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 22,585
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Was anyone feeling that their internet opportunities were hindered before 2015? Anyone? Anyone?
This. Like most things Democrats do, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
British is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:58 AM
  #43  
jnb5101
CF Senior Member
 
jnb5101's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: charlotte north carolina
Posts: 7,721
Thanks: 0
Thanked 94 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by owebo View Post
They just make **** up because it feels good to them....
Originally Posted by NY09C6 View Post
This is not what net neutrality is

Yes, "They ( the anti-neutrality crowd ) just make **** up", because data speed equality is exactly what net neutrality means.
jnb5101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 AM
  #44  
owebo
CF Senior Member
 
owebo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Washigton, DC
Posts: 103,560
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16
Default

Originally Posted by jnb5101 View Post
Originally Posted by NY09C6 View Post
This is not what net neutrality is

Yes, "They ( the anti-neutrality crowd ) just make **** up", because data speed equality is exactly what net neutrality means.
We want big .gov in the Internet why? You prog fascists are plain evil....see google...
owebo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:30 AM
  #45  
Kevova
CF Senior Member
 
Kevova's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: near the thumb in the mitten
Posts: 2,964
Thanked 280 Times in 265 Posts
Default

This was already done with TV back with Bush 43. It was determined that TV signals would go from analog to digital. Even though analog worked in areas digital wouldn't. As a result people needed new TVs, converter boxes, and to subscribe to a entertainment carrier. Then the carrier decides want is base, enhanced, premium....etc. I'm too thrifty ( son calls me cheap) to spend 150+ per mo for TV. Got a little digital antenna. ISPs want to do the same thing. If the ISP put a premium on right wing sites knowing that some conservatives would pay it is that ok with you. Liberals are less likely to pay for access to left wing sites. ISPs could also effect access to sites they don't care for or refuse to pay access fees.
Kevova is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:40 AM
  #46  
owebo
CF Senior Member
 
owebo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Washigton, DC
Posts: 103,560
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16
Default

Originally Posted by Kevova View Post
This was already done with TV back with Bush 43. It was determined that TV signals would go from analog to digital. Even though analog worked in areas digital wouldn't. As a result people needed new TVs, converter boxes, and to subscribe to a entertainment carrier. Then the carrier decides want is base, enhanced, premium....etc. I'm too thrifty ( son calls me cheap) to spend 150+ per mo for TV. Got a little digital antenna. ISPs want to do the same thing. If the ISP put a premium on right wing sites knowing that some conservatives would pay it is that ok with you. Liberals are less likely to pay for access to left wing sites. ISPs could also effect access to sites they don't care for or refuse to pay access fees.
So where do you stand?
owebo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:52 AM
  #47  
Kevova
CF Senior Member
 
Kevova's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: near the thumb in the mitten
Posts: 2,964
Thanked 280 Times in 265 Posts
Default

My stand is to keep it neutral and free. ISPs make enough advertising and marketing every click I make. It's bad enough I can search Holley efi and get a page of bs before I get the Holley website. Then I'm bombarded by Holley product ads for 2 or 3 days afterwards.
Kevova is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:33 PM
  #48  
Over9K
CF Senior Member
 
Over9K's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Posts: 14,203
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jnb5101 View Post
You guys are confusing net neutrality and cost of internet service.

Internet prices are rising because of reduced competition. As soon as ATT bought Directv , my monthly bill increased.

Net neutrality guarantees that all ISPs have the same bandwidth speeds, and that large companies such as Netflix, Google or Amazon can NOT control transmission speeds of other program providers. How is that a bad thing?

Would you like to know why lots of costs are rising in this country, why many things cost more than they should, on a federal, state and local level?

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.





Hypocrite.
Over9K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:41 PM
  #49  
66 convert
CF Senior Member
 
66 convert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2010
Location: Newberg Oregon
Posts: 4,382
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kevova View Post
My stand is to keep it neutral and free. ISPs make enough advertising and marketing every click I make. It's bad enough I can search Holley efi and get a page of bs before I get the Holley website. Then I'm bombarded by Holley product ads for 2 or 3 days afterwards.
Clear your cookies before you exit your browser.

That'll take care of a lot of those ads.
66 convert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:10 PM
  #50  
TxLefty
CF Senior Member
 
TxLefty's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Plano (Gun Nut Central) Texas
Posts: 5,003
Thanked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker View Post
Could be... though, the industries that the government has overtaken with regulation have become stagnant.

New nuclear power plants?

New phone companies?

New cable TV companies?

One more of a local level, new trash companies.

The government establishes excessive burdens and barriers to entry into these markets. Do not think that internet service providers will be excluded. Most anything the government sinks its hooks into becomes a latent mess of bureaucracy.
Nuclear power plants have become uneconomic to a large extent because of the army of lawyers the company has to hire just to broach the idea. The regulations are bad enough, but fighting the never ending lawsuits and the delays they cause are just too much.
TxLefty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:26 PM
  #51  
66 convert
CF Senior Member
 
66 convert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2010
Location: Newberg Oregon
Posts: 4,382
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jnb5101 View Post
Originally Posted by NY09C6 View Post
This is not what net neutrality is

Yes, "They ( the anti-neutrality crowd ) just make **** up", because data speed equality is exactly what net neutrality means.
From Merriam-Webster

the idea, principle, or requirement that Internet service providers should or must treat all Internet data as the same regardless of its kind, source, or destination

… a philosophical contest that's being fought under the banner of "net neutrality," a slogan that inspires rhetorical devotion but eludes precise definition. Broadly, it means everything on the Internet should be equally accessible—that the Internet should be a place where great ideas compete on equal terms with big money. —Sarah Rabil
From ABC

Net neutrality is the principle that ISPs treat all content equally and not give preference to some digital content providers. That means the consumer can load every website, app, video, .gif, etc., equally, regardless of where the content is hosted. For example, an ISP may not charge more for sites that stream movies or promote a specific agenda. This is also referred to as the open internet.
Because paying for the bandwidth you actually use is so 2014.
66 convert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:36 PM
  #52  
Kevova
CF Senior Member
 
Kevova's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: near the thumb in the mitten
Posts: 2,964
Thanked 280 Times in 265 Posts
Default

Nukes are economical but the coal, oil, and gas have an army of lobbyists to make sure they get theirs..
The government did cook this **** up. A consultant told a internet company they could make more money if they did this____ Obama because he was tech savvy understood what they wanted to do and blocked it. Now the anti Obama league is willing to " love themselves" to end a free internet.
Kevova is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:35 PM
  #53  
Aaron71771
CF Senior Member
 
Aaron71771's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2000
Location: Traverse City MI
Posts: 6,211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kevova View Post
My stand is to keep it neutral and free. ISPs make enough advertising and marketing every click I make. It's bad enough I can search Holley efi and get a page of bs before I get the Holley website. Then I'm bombarded by Holley product ads for 2 or 3 days afterwards.
That's coming from your search provider, not your ISP.
Aaron71771 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 PM
  #54  
VETTRLZ
CF Senior Member
 
VETTRLZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 34,503
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
I really don't care for Net Neutrality. It addresses a problem that currently does not exist.. However, just a side note.. If most ISPs would cut speed when you access **** sites and ask you to pay more to get full speed when accessing **** sites, many here would scream for net neutrality
No, they would just happily pay more for what's important to them. That's how capitalism works, even with ****.
VETTRLZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:40 PM
  #55  
VETTRLZ
CF Senior Member
 
VETTRLZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 34,503
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
if the people in the picture of the OP are for it then you know its bad....


Annnd... we're done here.

\thread
VETTRLZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:27 PM
  #56  
British
CF Senior Member
 
British's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 22,585
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

If word got out that such and such ISP throttles ****, that ISP is done.

The business model that Liberals claim companies will use (ie only allowing access to certain sites they want you to use) would not be viable in today's world. You might as well argue that AOL is about to make a huge comeback.
British is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:22 PM
  #57  
nerz
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 100
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by British View Post
If word got out that such and such ISP throttles ****, that ISP is done.

The business model that Liberals claim companies will use (ie only allowing access to certain sites they want you to use) would not be viable in today's world. You might as well argue that AOL is about to make a huge comeback.
The ISP would not be done because most places only have access to 1 or 2 providers that are high speed. If both companies have a gentleman's agreement (which happens extremely easily when there's a logistical monopoly like this) to both throttle ****, the customer has no other choice but to use them. So no, you are wrong.

You are talking about 50 million homes with only 1 provider as of 2017: https://arstechnica.com/information-...r-none-at-all/

This is why net neutrality is so critical. When you start allowing corporations to control the freedom of information to your citizens (like a liberal ISP charging more to allow access to conservative news sites) you are no longer living in a country that's by the people for the people.

Last edited by nerz; 05-22-2018 at 04:37 PM.
nerz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:31 PM
  #58  
BLZNSDL
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default

Maxina Waters can fix it.
BLZNSDL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:44 PM
  #59  
NY09C6
CF Senior Member
 
NY09C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,560
Thanks: 0
Thanked 127 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jnb5101
Originally Posted by NY09C6 View Post
This is not what net neutrality is

Yes, "They ( the anti-neutrality crowd ) just make **** up", because data speed equality is exactly what net neutrality means.
You posted this which again is not what net neutrality is.

Net neutrality guarantees that all ISPs have the same bandwidth speeds, and that large companies such as Netflix, Google or Amazon can NOT control transmission speeds of other program providers.
NY09C6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Net Neutrality is a Fancy Term for Internet Socialism


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: