Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

California to add text message tax

Old 12-12-2018, 05:17 PM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan View Post
Wee need a wall around the entire state of Texas as California’s are crossing our borders in record numbers for a better life
I remember seeing the license plates when I lived there. Hopefully they're the sane people that didn't vote the commies in.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:22 PM
BradSW
CF Senior Member

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Liked 60 Times in 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
Good for you, Brad! Where you going?
all the kids and grandkids are in Bentonville, Arkansas. Gonna miss San Diego but not Kali politics. And with Newsom, the worst is yet to come.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:25 PM
larrysb
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

More than 50% of Californians effectively don’t pay taxes. There will be no riots. Just lots of dancing in the streets for all the free **** they’re being promised.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:55 PM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Old 12-12-2018, 05:56 PM
jw38
CF Senior Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Simple, get your cphone on the family plan from outta state......like me a 904 area code on roaming .....
The area code your phone uses has no bearing on how you're billed. You're billed based on your address.

My mobile phone has a New Hampshire area code, yet I'm billed based on my address in Texas.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_n_houston View Post
Even more disturbing is that, according to an article I read, they want to make the tax retroactive, going back 5 years.
I never understood how that state gets away with retroactive taxation. How's that not a violation of ex post facto?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Roothog69
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

As Kali has to get more and more creative at fleecing it's dwindling tax payer base the illegals will continue to flock there for the free goodies they're entitled to. It's been a sad sight watching Kali self destruct during my lifetime. Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:13 PM
SilverC1
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Maybe this will be one of the straws that breaks the millenial voters' backs (at least the gainfully-employed millenials....)

"Wait, you can't tax my texting!"

CA wasn't satisfied with giving a free cell phone to everyone, like the rest of the country. The state doubled the federal tax that pays for basic "Obama phones", so that Californians are guaranteed a smart phone, with texting, as well as a small data package. For checking e-mail, don'tcha know....
Old 12-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Torch FRC
CF Senior Member

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC1 View Post
Maybe this will be one of the straws that breaks the millenial voters' backs (at least the gainfully-employed millenials....)

"Wait, you can't tax my texting!"

CA wasn't satisfied with giving a free cell phone to everyone, like the rest of the country. The state doubled the federal tax that pays for basic "Obama phones", so that Californians are guaranteed a smart phone, with texting, as well as a small data package. For checking e-mail, don'tcha know....
And these are the ************* screaming racism all over the internet. We are paying for them to bitch and moan about everything on twitter, fb, etc. smh
Old 12-12-2018, 06:42 PM
m and t's77
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by colo63sw View Post
Maybe they just charge you when you send a text, not receiving one. That would mean that all PACs and many marketeers would move their operations out of state.

This could start a comeback for CB radios.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:51 PM
vette6799
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
That’s right up there with Maryland’s rain tax.
That disappeared a few years ago but it also prompted my decision to leave MD.

This proposed Cali tax on texting is nuts. The state spends almost a billion a year on subsidized cell phone usage. That's nuts too.

Last edited by vette6799; 12-12-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Cygnus
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post
I never understood how that state gets away with retroactive taxation. How's that not a violation of ex post facto?
That is easy. Liberals loaded up the courts to protect them while they are ripping off the people.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 PM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Liked 92 Times in 86 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hey sheeple, just keep voting libbie scum into power and enjoy...
Old 12-12-2018, 08:49 PM
FunDriver
CF Senior Member

Liked 130 Times in 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
That is easy. Liberals loaded up the courts to protect them while they are ripping off the people.
Yep, pretty much..It seems every rational proposition trying to straighten things out was gutted or overturned by the courts. However, all the crazy stuff seems to make it through without a problem.

I'm not sure which is increasing faster in Crapifornia...the number of illegal aliens, the number of corrupt politicians, or the number of new taxes.

As I'm looking out at two trees in my back yard I'm wondering if I'll soon face a logging tax for having timber on my land.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:47 PM
Low12s
CF Senior Member

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FunDriver View Post
Yep, pretty much..It seems every rational proposition trying to straighten things out was gutted or overturned by the courts. However, all the crazy stuff seems to make it through without a problem.

I'm not sure which is increasing faster in Crapifornia...the number of illegal aliens, the number of corrupt politicians, or the number of new taxes.

As I'm looking out at two trees in my back yard I'm wondering if I'll soon face a logging tax for having timber on my land.
With a Super Majority, it is now hold onto your ***, and any money you may have set aside!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:07 PM
Gryphon_
CF Senior Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Well this got my attention as I live in CA. I read the article, then looked at the actual draft from the commissioners here. Not surprisingly, some of the comments above are inaccurate.

There has been state and federal tax on cellphone use forever. This program began in 1987. On my bill, for the specific programs listed in the linked doc, I pay a total of $1.48 per month - ouch, eh?

The issue under discussion is that the telecoms have been leaving the revenue due to texting out of the basis for the tax they incur, and this is estimated to be roughly 10%. The commission is claiming that text is telecoms not info traffic and should be included, in which case my bill will rise by about 15c per month. They are trying to make the telecoms pay the back taxes they should have paid over last 5 years - GL with that.

The purpose of the program is to fund the telecoms to provide coverage everywhere, wireless, fiber, etc. Total cost of all this is just under a billion/year, which goes to the telecoms to build stuff, and yes, the subsidized cellphones for the poor - which cost less than half the budget. In general, the telecom infrastructure in CA is very good pretty much everywhere, with fiber internet on every street in my area. So I certainly see the benefit of my $1.46 / month. Anyone here still on dialup internet?

Last edited by Gryphon_; 12-12-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 PM
Patsgarage
CF Senior Member

Liked 357 Times in 307 Posts

I have worked full time for over 25 years and never needed a smart phone or sent a text message. There is no reason in the world that someone unemployed, illegal, or otherwise unable to afford it needs one. The end, full stop.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 AM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
Default California debates a tax on...text messages.

Just when you thought they've taxed everything.

Thoughts?

Here's the best part...

"The CPUC is also seeking to retroactively tax users for the last five years."

5 years of retroactive taxes? What is this...the USSR?!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ar/2293656002/

Last edited by Slo Yelo C5; 12-13-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 AM
snide
CF Senior Member

Location: You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think. - snide The problem with the gene
Liked 150 Times in 61 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

******* idiots.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:31 AM
427 Z
Tijuana Event Coordinator
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 218 Times in 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Political Definition of Political by Merriam-Webster

1a : of or relating to government, a government, or the conduct of government. b : of, relating to, or concerned with the making as distinguished from the administration of governmental policy. 2 : of, relating to, involving, or involved in politics and especially party politics.
‎Political Favor · ‎Political Animal · ‎Political Football · ‎Political Prisoner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California to add text message tax

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: