Isnt California Great - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Isnt California Great

Old 01-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Not So Fast
CF Senior Member

Default Isnt California Great

I don't know if there has been a thread on the "new" California 2019 exhaust laws so I thought Id post this. I know my car would definitely not pass and I wonder how any Cally Corvette owners feel about this new law for 2019. Its pretty brutal for even changing one thing on your stock exhaust so no more axle back systems I assume, much less a set of LT headers. I read reports that it is an automatic $1000 fine and a put it back to stock ticket and then see a State Ref to get re-registered
One of the many videos on YouTube say its blamed on the latest craze of what they call "Take Over" events where a large group take over an intersection/parking lot and do burn outs/doughnuts and such, plus they defy law enforcement to the max, whatever, and they are targeting cars that LOOK like the kind they use in these events. It is absolutely insane what they do IMHO, many videos out there of them doing it so do a search. Looks like a few are screwing things up for the many
Read'em and weep Cally folks
NSF
http://www.californiacarlaws.com/exhaust-noise/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvQIiNWZB2o
Th
is last one shows a LEO explain what this means and who's to blame, I said they were idiots when I saw these events about 6 months ago, just how lawlessness has become a trend with some people, in fact quite a few people who have no respect for ANYTHING, sad day.

Last edited by Not So Fast; 01-09-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 PM
Corvette_Ed
CF Senior Member

That's a typical Cali reaction: punish everyone for what a very few people are doing instead of just going after those few people.

I am really glad I don't live there anymore.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:51 PM
jchappies
CF Senior Member

My stock Camaro NPP exhaust is louder then my Borla ATAK on the Vette.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:21 PM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

No, it isn't great. Probably the most screwed up state in the country.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:23 PM
airmed2
CF Senior Member

New York and Illinois have the greatest amount of its population exiting to other states due to politics, corruption, and taxes. I'm really surprised California isn't right there with them. I'll be joining that group before the end of the year, thank goodness and won't even glance in the rear view. California will not be on my list of "move to" states. I'd say I feel sorry for its residents, but we all have choices, and I'm glad I'm exercising mine.

Last edited by airmed2; 01-09-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 PM
HBsurfer
CF Senior Member

I am fine with all of the emissions crap we have here. I have always lived within 10 miles of the San Gabriel Mountains. Back in the 70's, we would see those mountains once or twice each month because the smog was so bad. Now, I see them all day, every day. Smog is not even discussed in SoCal anymore. All of you guys can bitch about California but I love it here. We have some screwballs running the place but I am used to it and will never move. Having no smog is a huge deal and unless you lived here as a kid when we could not go outside on 'smog alert days', you would never get it. Like I said, the word smog never comes up now because it is all but gone. California emissions requirements are fine with me. 99.9% cannot drive these cars to the limit stock so all the exhaust mods are just to make the car louder. I'll trade clean air for a little exhaust rumble any day.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 01-09-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:40 PM
ssg10587

Originally Posted by airmed2 View Post
New York and Illinois have the greatest amount of its population exiting to other states due to politics, corruption, and taxes. I'm really surprised California isn't right there with them. I'll be joining that group before the end of the year, thank goodness and won't even glance in the rear view. California will not be on my list of "move to" states. I'd say I feel sorry for its residents, but we all have choices, and I'm glad I'm exercising mine.
Well because it is lol. According to census data, states with the biggest amount of exit population are NY #1, CA #2 and IL #3

Last edited by ssg10587; 01-09-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:46 PM
airmed2
CF Senior Member

Haha, well, I humbly bow in correction. I guess I'm leaving the 3rd worst state.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:22 PM
JABCAT
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jchappies View Post
My stock Camaro NPP exhaust is louder then my Borla ATAK on the Vette.
Will be interesting to see what they do with those cars (New Z06/ZR1 and others) that have loud stock exhausts.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 PM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Well because it is lol. According to census data, states with the biggest amount of exit population are NY #1, CA #2 and IL #3
Yup, King Cuomo and the now Democrat-controlled Assembly and Senate are driving people out at a record clip. When they come for my guns, I hope I'm still physically able to get out of here. Of course, if I'm completely senile I won't care.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:56 AM
Grzldvt1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by HBsurfer View Post
I am fine with all of the emissions crap we have here. I have always lived within 10 miles of the San Gabriel Mountains. Back in the 70's, we would see those mountains once or twice each month because the smog was so bad. Now, I see them all day, every day. Smog is not even discussed in SoCal anymore. All of you guys can bitch about California but I love it here. We have some screwballs running the place but I am used to it and will never move. Having no smog is a huge deal and unless you lived here as a kid when we could not go outside on 'smog alert days', you would never get it. Like I said, the word smog never comes up now because it is all but gone. California emissions requirements are fine with me. 99.9% cannot drive these cars to the limit stock so all the exhaust mods are just to make the car louder. I'll trade clean air for a little exhaust rumble any day.
I love it when people that don't live here know more about our state than the people that live here. Having said that, there are bozos with exhausts so loud, it is beyond comprehension. I am all for a good sounding exhaust, but some of the cars/trucks have gone well beyond the limit.. Had a Ford Raptor come into my shop and it was so loud we could not even talk to the customer while the car was running. I asked him why he was so loud, cause I like to screw with people and a loud truck does exactly that.
I also love living here and would not live in any other place in the world. Politics have no affect on my daily life. I can drive my Corvettes to some of the most incredible places on the planet. I can run marathons in a clean air environment.
Laguna Seca, one of the most popular venues in Central California for racing events has a 92db law and they pretty much sell out every event. For a vast majority of the performance car owners that actually use their car for it's intention 95db is not really an issue contrary to what the clown in the video states.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:21 AM
laurent_zo6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18
Default $1,000 fine in crazy California if your car is over 95db

The loony California politicians passed AB1824 last year. It became law on January 1, 2019. Basically cops can give you a ticket if they deem your car too loud. The fine is $1,000 per citation. This is a non fixable ticket. This video explains the madness. (once again)

Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 AM
My Vette Life
CF Senior Member

Only cars that need to worry are the camaro, mustang, and jdm.

I dont have mufflers on my c5 and never had any issues even with smog. If you fro. Cali then you already know what to look out for.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:21 AM
Don-Vette
CF Senior Member

Kali, a great place to visit, but too many liberal tree huggers to live there. LMFAO
Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 AM
Cockroach
CF Senior Member

The sheep that keep voting these radical liberal Democrats into office over and over again get what they deserve and obviously the laws they want. All three of these messed up states are Democrat controlled sanctuary city's, great places to vacation but I would never live in.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:53 AM
road pilot
CF Senior Member

2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Another reason to leave Calf. Many have done so. Tax's and the culture have driven the middle class out.
Good luck.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 AM
pokerpro
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C6 of Year Finalist

In CA you can run any aftermarket exhaust system you want on any type of car you want, open headers too if that's your thing without the fear of the law coming down on you only IF you are an Illegal immigrant!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 AM
Jackie N
CF Member

Do they at least measure it with calibrated testers and a defined procedure? I dunno what 95db sounds like so I wont comment.

​​​​​What I do know is that I hate Harley's with open pipes riding downtown Toronto in the summer time. You can't carry a conversation or hear yourself think when those morons ride by so there is a point at which tickets should be issued in some cases.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 AM
airmed2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by pokerpro View Post
In CA you can run any aftermarket exhaust system you want on any type of car you want, open headers too if that's your thing without the fear of the law coming down on you only IF you are an Illegal immigrant!
That's classic!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:44 AM
BlindSpot
CF Senior Member

I have different data.

Top loser in population is Illinois, followed by NY and CT. California is a net gainer in population....STILL.

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...2017-2018.html

Illinois is closest to complete bankruptcy of any other state. Living in AZ I have watched these figures closely. Sometimes it feels like there are more Californians in AZ than Arizonans, but there is not a mass exodus from CA. More it is a demographic shift. Probably more money is leaving CA but more people needing state assistance are replacing them. CA has a flashing sign that says "If you need help, come here".

I have sold two properties in the last 18 months, both buyers were Californians with cash. I have another for sale right now and betting the buyer will be a Ca relo with cash. Since I've lived in the West for the last 25 years, I've watched the political base change from conservative to a more liberal bent first in New Mexico, then in Colorado, and now changing in Arizona. And I'm convinced it is largely politically influenced by migration from CA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Isnt California Great

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: