FBI investigated how Trump's actions seemed to benefit Russia - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

FBI investigated how Trump's actions seemed to benefit Russia

Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

FBI investigated how Trump's actions seemed to benefit Russia

Old 01-12-2019, 05:10 AM
rkhegler
CF Senior Member

Default FBI investigated how Trump's actions seemed to benefit Russia

Who remembers the last time the President of the United States was investigated by counter intelligence for being a stooge for a foreign government?

WASHINGTON — In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the president’s own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscow’s influence.

The investigation the F.B.I. opened into Mr. Trump also had a criminal aspect, which has long been publicly known: whether his firing of Mr. Comey constituted obstruction of justice.

Agents and senior F.B.I. officials had grown suspicious of Mr. Trump’s ties to Russia during the 2016 campaign but held off on opening an investigation into him, the people said, in part because they were uncertain how to proceed with an inquiry of such sensitivity and magnitude. But the president’s activities before and after Mr. Comey’s firing in May 2017, particularly two instances in which Mr. Trump tied the Comey dismissal to the Russia investigation, helped prompt the counterintelligence aspect of the inquiry, the people said.

The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, took over the inquiry into Mr. Trump when he was appointed, days after F.B.I. officials opened it. That inquiry is part of Mr. Mueller’s broader examination of how Russian operatives interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Trump associates conspired with them. It is unclear whether Mr. Mueller is still pursuing the counterintelligence matter, and some former law enforcement officials outside the investigation have questioned whether agents overstepped in opening it.

The criminal and counterintelligence elements were coupled together into one investigation, former law enforcement officials said in interviews in recent weeks, because if Mr. Trump had ousted the head of the F.B.I. to impede or even end the Russia investigation, that was both a possible crime and a national security concern. The F.B.I.’s counterintelligence division handles national security matters.
If the president had fired Mr. Comey to stop the Russia investigation, the action would have been a national security issue because it naturally would have hurt the bureau’s effort to learn how Moscow interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Americans were involved, according to James A. Baker, who served as F.B.I. general counsel until late 2017. He privately testified in October before House investigators who were examining the F.B.I.’s handling of the full Russia inquiry.

​​​​​​“Not only would it be an issue of obstructing an investigation, but the obstruction itself would hurt our ability to figure out what the Russians had done, and that is what would be the threat to national security,” Mr. Baker said in his testimony, portions of which were read to The New York Times. Mr. Baker did not explicitly acknowledge the existence of the investigation of Mr. Trump to congressional investigators.

No evidence has emerged publicly that Mr. Trump was secretly in contact with or took direction from Russian government officials. An F.B.I. spokeswoman and a spokesman for the special counsel’s office both declined to comment.

Rudolph W. Giuliani, a lawyer for the president, sought to play down the significance of the investigation. “The fact that it goes back a year and a half and nothing came of it that showed a breach of national security means they found nothing,” Mr. Giuliani said on Friday, though he acknowledged that he had no insight into the inquiry.

The cloud of the Russia investigation has hung over Mr. Trump since even before he took office, though he has long vigorously denied any illicit connection to Moscow. The obstruction inquiry, revealed by The Washington Post a few weeks after Mr. Mueller was appointed, represented a direct threat that he was unable to simply brush off as an overzealous examination of a handful of advisers. But few details have been made public about the counterintelligence aspect of the investigation.

The decision to investigate Mr. Trump himself was an aggressive move by F.B.I. officials who were confronting the chaotic aftermath of the firing of Mr. Comey and enduring the president’s verbal assaults on the Russia investigation as a “witch hunt.”

A vigorous debate has taken shape among some former law enforcement officials outside the case over whether F.B.I. investigators overreacted in opening the counterintelligence inquiry during a tumultuous period at the Justice Department. Other former officials noted that those critics were not privy to all of the evidence and argued that sitting on it would have been an abdication of duty.

The F.B.I. conducts two types of inquiries, criminal and counterintelligence investigations. Unlike criminal investigations, which are typically aimed at solving a crime and can result in arrests and convictions, counterintelligence inquiries are generally fact-finding missions to understand what a foreign power is doing and to stop any anti-American activity, like thefts of United States government secrets or covert efforts to influence policy. In most cases, the investigations are carried out quietly, sometimes for years. Often, they result in no arrests.

Mr. Trump had caught the attention of F.B.I. counterintelligence agents when he called on Russia during a campaign news conference in July 2016 to hack into the emails of his opponent, Hillary Clinton. Mr. Trump had refused to criticize Russia on the campaign trail, praising President Vladimir V. Putin. And investigators had watched with alarm as the Republican Party softened its convention platform on the Ukraine crisis in a way that seemed to benefit Russia.Other factors fueled the F.B.I.’s concerns, according to the people familiar with the inquiry. Christopher Steele, a former British spy who worked as an F.B.I. informant, had compiled memos in mid-2016 containing unsubstantiated claims that Russian officials tried to obtain influence over Mr. Trump by preparing to blackmail and bribe him.

F.B.I. officials viewed their decision to move quickly as validated when a comment the president made to visiting Russian officials in the Oval Office shortly after he fired Mr. Comey was revealed days later.

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to a document summarizing the meeting. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”
In the months before the 2016 election, the F.B.I. was also already investigating four of Mr. Trump’s associates over their ties to Russia. The constellation of events disquieted F.B.I. officials who were simultaneously watching as Russia’s campaign unfolded to undermine the presidential election by exploiting existing divisions among Americans.

“In the Russian Federation and in President Putin himself, you have an individual whose aim is to disrupt the Western alliance and whose aim is to make Western democracy more fractious in order to weaken our ability, America’s ability and the West’s ability to spread our democratic ideals,” Lisa Page, a former bureau lawyer, told House investigators in private testimony reviewed by The Times.

“That’s the goal, to make us less of a moral authority to spread democratic values,” she added. Parts of her testimony were first reported by The Epoch Times.

And when a newly inaugurated Mr. Trump sought a loyalty pledge from Mr. Comey and later asked that he end an investigation into the president’s national security adviser, the requests set off discussions among F.B.I. officials about opening an inquiry into whether Mr. Trump had tried to obstruct that case.

But law enforcement officials put off the decision to open the investigation until they had learned more, according to people familiar with their thinking. As for a counterintelligence inquiry, they concluded that they would need strong evidence to take the sensitive step of investigating the president, and they were also concerned that the existence of such an inquiry could be leaked to the news media, undermining the entire investigation into Russia’s meddling in the election.

The first was a letter Mr. Trump wanted to send to Mr. Comey about his firing, but never did, in which he mentioned the Russia investigation. In the letter, Mr. Trump thanked Mr. Comey for previously telling him he was not a subject of the F.B.I.’s Russia investigation.After Mr. Comey was fired on May 9, 2017, two more of Mr. Trump’s actions prompted them to quickly abandon
those reservations.

Even after the deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, wrote a more restrained draft of the letter and told Mr. Trump that he did not have to mention the Russia investigation — Mr. Comey’s poor handling of the Clinton email investigation would suffice as a fireable offense, he explained — Mr. Trump directed Mr. Rosenstein to mention the Russia investigation anyway.

He disregarded the president’s order, irritating Mr. Trump. The president ultimately added a reference to the Russia investigation to the note he had delivered, thanking Mr. Comey for telling him three times that he was not under investigation.

The second event that troubled investigators was an NBC News interview two days after Mr. Comey’s firing in which Mr. Trump appeared to say he had dismissed Mr. Comey because of the Russia inquiry.

“I was going to fire Comey knowing there was no good time to do it,” he said. “And in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself — I said, you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story. It’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should’ve won.”

Mr. Trump’s aides have said that a fuller examination of his comments demonstrates that he did not fire Mr. Comey to end the Russia inquiry. “I might even lengthen out the investigation, but I have to do the right thing for the American people,” Mr. Trump added. “He’s the wrong man for that position.”

As F.B.I. officials debated whether to open the investigation, some of them pushed to move quickly before Mr. Trump appointed a director who might slow down or even end their investigation into Russia’s interference. Many involved in the case viewed Russia as the chief threat to American democratic values.

“With respect to Western ideals and who it is and what it is we stand for as Americans, Russia poses the most dangerous threat to that way of life,” Ms. Page told investigators for a joint House Judiciary and Oversight Committee investigation into Moscow’s election interference.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/u...a-inquiry.html

This is why Comey was fired.

Last edited by rkhegler; 01-12-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:11 AM
owebo
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Disturbing, isn’t it....the ******* fascist democrats will stop at nothing in their formation of a new Reich...
Old 01-12-2019, 05:14 AM
KissArmy2001
CF Senior Member

Location: Hey whistle swallower!!! 12 times out of 10 thatís pass interference if its not a personal foul

Tldr...ftard
Old 01-12-2019, 06:48 AM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rkhegler View Post

Thia is why Comey was fired.
I knew it!

Op is a...

Old 01-12-2019, 06:51 AM
owebo
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Who is investigating the FBI for possible ties to Russia and being under the control of putin and his hillary?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Bobby J
CF Senior Member

Comey was fired because he was an unprofessional, Democrat hack that abused his power. He has proven this with his statements since his firing. The "agents and senior officials" that were concerned were only looking for something to use against Trump because they wanted Hildabeast to win. That has also been proven. Even Comey admitted that he made the decisions he made based on the premise that he believed Hillary would win.

All those bastards should be in jail for conspiracy and for abuse of power in an attempt to steal an election.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 AM
owebo
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by Bobby J View Post
Comey was fired because he was an unprofessional, Democrat hack that abused his power. He has proven this with his statements since his firing. The "agents and senior officials" that were concerned were only looking for something to use against Trump because they wanted Hildabeast to win. That has also been proven. Even Comey admitted that he made the decisions he made based on the premise that he believed Hillary would win.

All those bastards should be in jail for conspiracy and for abuse of power in an attempt to steal an election.
seems he may have been fired for colluding with Russia...
Old 01-12-2019, 07:20 AM
Builderrick
CF Senior Member

So per the O.P. and in his very title: Trumps' actions "SEEMED" to benefit Russia.

Yet Hilliarys' actions DIRECTLY DID benefit Russia. Yet no concern shown there.

The O.P. is blinded to actually acknowledging the TRUTH and the FBI being corrupt, the Clinton Crime Syndicate and that TRUMP is turning out to be the best PRESIDENT this country has ever had.

TRUMP is not giving up to the daily onslaught and it is driving these lib wackos to the brink of insanity.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:32 AM
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Trump should just fire someone in the FBI (even at random) every week, just to show them who is the Boss!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-12-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,053 Times in 2,463 Posts

There are two dozen reasons Comey should have been fired. If only one existed that alone would be enough - the head of the FBI "leaking" ANYthing to ANYbody for ANY reason. Another "stand alone" reason if the dimwit OP needs another one - usurping the role of DOJ in deciding whether or not evidence is sufficient to pursue a prosecution...

Well hell - I'll just throw in a bonus reason: knuckling under to pressure and subverting an investigation into a "matter" because its subject was a high-profile politician.

We done here ?

These are unassailable facts, well documented and no dark conspiracy BS needed to fire Comey.....the man was a politicized worm with zero leadership skills.and the absent any integrity.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-12-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Builderrick
CF Senior Member

Comey actually committed CRIMAL ACTS by covering up for Hilliary and destroying evidence. He belongs in prison.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:48 AM
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

Seems they have been investigating Trump for a couple of years. Either they are incompetent or he didn't do anything.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 AM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TCracingCA View Post

Trump should just fire someone in the FBI even at random every week, just to show them who is the Boss!
Mueller used to run the FBI too

he's the guy that took the uranium samples to Russia for hillary

prez trump should have these ''COUP'' conspirators arrested,,all this should have been done 2 years ago
Old 01-12-2019, 08:57 AM
FWC
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13, '15-'16,'18

This whole article reeks of "CYA" on the part of the FBI. A lot of blending of theories and time lines to confuse / justify what they did.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Axelrod
CF Senior Member

Another kegler epic-fail thread.

Quoted from your own hit piece:

No evidence has emerged
​​​​​​​Fairly straightforward to normal people that fictional writing gets you allllllll excited
Old 01-12-2019, 09:41 AM
Local2Ed
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Builderrick View Post
So per the O.P. and in his very title: Trumps' actions "SEEMED" to benefit Russia.

Yet Hilliarys' actions DIRECTLY DID benefit Russia. Yet no concern shown there.

The O.P. is blinded to actually acknowledging the TRUTH and the FBI being corrupt, the Clinton Crime Syndicate and that TRUMP is turning out to be the best PRESIDENT this country has ever had.

TRUMP is not giving up to the daily onslaught and it is driving these lib wackos to the brink of insanity.
So, how's that "lock her up" chant working out for you?
LOL
Old 01-12-2019, 09:41 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

[h2=left]Leaked Lisa Page Testimonial Transcripts on CIA Brennan Angle, Confirms Likelihood of Dossier Origination….[/h2]
Posted on January 11, 2019 by sundance

The leak wars have officially begun. “Caveat emptor” (buyer beware) is the general warning to all interested followers of the story-lines.

In response to leaks of congressional testimony to The Epoch Times (Lisa Page and Andrew McCabe) damaging to the prior narratives of the DOJ and FBI; the opposing side of the political continuum begins leaking transcripts to the New York Times (James Baker) favorable to the DOJ and specifically FBI. Damn these insufferable leakers, their agendas, and their weaponized political motives; all of them.

CTH suspected this bull sh*t was going to start as soon as we saw the first Lisa Page transcript leak.

As a result we are now reduced to reviewing information through the pre-filter of the media outlet delivering the analysis of the transcript; a process CTH hates with the passion of a thousand supernovas.

The New York Times leak-angle is to justify *why* the FBI contemplated opening an investigation on candidate, president-elect and president Trump . – SEE HERE – That said, sticking with the Epoch Times leak-angle on Lisa Page testimony for a moment, there is an aspect to the CIA activity of John Brennan which confirms prior suspicions.

Here’s the part that pertains to earlier CTH research on the issue of Brennan, the CIA, and more importantly Fusion-GPS contract employee Nellie Ohr who we confirmed also worked for the CIA:

Continue reading →
Old 01-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Platoface
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11

"Seemed to benefit Russia"... so that is the new standard for FBI investigations?

Hillary better commit suicide then.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:48 AM
pewter99
Admin
Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

troll thread
Old 01-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Builderrick
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Local2Ed View Post
So, how's that "lock her up" chant working out for you?
LOL
OMG what is this ? Yet another 'so called' teacher all in for Hilliary and the Clinton Crime Syndicate ?

Lock her up hasn't worked because of the deep CORRUPTION in Washington and the FBI.

WAKE UP TO REALITY ! They are all afraid of TRUMP and generate LIE after LIE to cover the corruption.

This country is in deep trouble. And if people like you are educating our youth the trouble is deeper than ever imagined.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FBI investigated how Trump's actions seemed to benefit Russia

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: