Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

So....is KISS still evil?

Old 02-03-2019, 04:22 AM
X-ZZ4
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default So....is KISS still evil?

I saw them Friday night. Gene Simmons turns freaking 70 years old this year. But these guys are still killing it! I really wasn't sure what to expect, especially after the greatness of Metallica in December. But these guys really put on a good show....it was fun!

But these guys here weren't impressed. These guys still think they're devil worshipers and all of us are going straight to hell.

But once inside, it was a great show!

Paul Stanley flying and still doing his thing!

Two from War Machine. Maybe this is why they think they're devil worshippers

The finale, the classic Rock and Roll All Night. Great show!

Last edited by X-ZZ4; 02-03-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:31 AM
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 791 Times in 724 Posts

They definitely still know how to lead a good worship service.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:40 AM
X-ZZ4
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Old 02-03-2019, 05:17 AM
X-ZZ4
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Live Review: KISS Say Goodbye to Portland, Oregon, with Blood, Pyro, and More (2/1)

The second show of the "End of the Road" farewell tour featured the band's usual flair

Setting the Stage: KISS have told this tale before. In 2000, following a lackluster tour in support of Psycho Circus, the hottest band in the world announced that they were going to hang up their platform boots after one last trek around the globe. It turned out to be a feint or a cynical marketing ploy, depending on your point of view. The retirement was called off, and many more tours followed.

This time around, we might have to take KISS at their word. Both Gene Simmonsand Paul Stanley are pushing 70 and are not as nimble as they once were. At certain points during this second show of the band’s North American farewell tour, Simmons rested his bass guitar on a small platform as he was playing it, likely to give his back a little relief from the instrument’s weight. Why put their bodies, voices and reputations through any more time trials? Better to kick back and sign some more licensing deals and enjoy their autumn years. Or at least save their energy for any depositions that lay just over the horizon.

Whether this is the last go round for KISS or not, the siren call of a farewell tour was heeded by thousands of Portlanders, just as it was for Slayer when they bulldozed through the area last summer and for retiring pop star Elton John just last month. Unlike either of those shows, this was an intergenerational affair. The crowd was spotted with kids, many sporting face paint and some form of KISS gear (much to the chagrin of the street preachers haranguing the folks waiting to get inside the Moda Center). This was the rock version of a family trip to the carnival, but with a show that features a lot more volume, fake blood, and pyrotechnics.

Taking the Stage: The beauty of having a bunch of youngsters in the audience is watching them react with surprise at the elements of a KISS show to which longtime fans have, by this point, become almost immune. They hit all the spectacular highlights. Gene breathed fire and spit blood; Paul ziplined across the audience to play a couple of songs from an airborne platform; Tommy Thayer’s guitar shot sparks; and Eric Singer’s drum set rose into the sky as he soloed. Flames. Fireworks. Mugging to the audience like seasoned vaudevillians.

At this point in the band’s long history, there is little hope or need for any big surprises. That’s what has been keeping them aloft for decades: a workmanlike approach to the rock concert that hits all the hits, scatters a few recent album cuts in, and surrounds it all with visual accoutrement that are as bright and shiny as their record covers and stage wear.

Did it sound good? Of course it did. Unlike the strands that kept getting caught up in the grease paint on their faces, not a hair was out of place the whole evening. The songs you came to hear — “Cold Gin”, “Deuce”, “Shout It Out Loud”, “I Was Made for Loving You”, “Beth” — sounded as fresh and meaty as ever. The tunes that you didn’t think about until this evening — ”Psycho Circus”, “Say Yeah” — erupted in ways their studio version never could. It was crisp and efficient and as loud as thunder.

The only elements that were somewhat worse for the wear are Paul and Gene’s voices. Stanley’s higher register was a bit frayed and threadbare, and Simmons, during his spotlight turns on “I Love It Loud” and “God of Thunder”, crackled, at times, like dry leaves. Hard to fault them for that, though, even if so much care has been made to make sure nothing else in the show fell out of alignment.

What was missing from the show, outside of a bit of vintage footage of KISS in their ‘70s heyday, was any real acknowledgement from the band that this was the “End of the Road”, as their tour name indicates. Stanley frequently referenced the first show they played in Portland, at the long-gone Paramount Theater, but there wasn’t a moment that so many other farewell tours hit on where they lingered onstage to drink in the applause or emotional speech about how far they’ve come. They punched the clock, and got in and out of Portland before the confetti hit the floor.

Artistic Support: KISS knows that no mere band was enough to warm up the crowd on their “final” Portland show. Oh no. They had to pull out the big guns. We’re talking of course about performance painter David Garibaldi. Over a loud soundtrack of EDM-infused rock classics, this L.A.-based artist whipped together portraits of Freddie Mercury, Jimi Hendrix, and, of course, KISS. In a way, it was the perfect gaudy accompaniment for the big show.

Setlist:
Detroit Rock City
Shout It Out Loud
Deuce
Say Yeah
Heaven’s On Fire
War Machine
Lick It Up
100,000 Years
God Of Thunder
Cold Gin
Psycho Circus
I Love It Loud
Hide Your Heart
Let Me Go, Rock ‘N’ Roll
Love Gun
I Was Made For Lovin’ You
Black Diamond

Encore:
Beth
Do You Love Me?
Rock and Roll All Nite

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/02/live-review-kiss-portland-oregon-2-1/
Old 02-03-2019, 07:00 AM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by X-ZZ4 View Post
I saw them Friday night. Gene Simmons turns freaking 70 years old this year. But these guys are still killing it! I really wasn't sure what to expect, especially after the greatness of Metallica in December. But these guys really put on a good show....it was fun!

But these guys here weren't impressed. These guys still think they're devil worshipers and all of us are going straight to hell. ...
KISS is well known for their marketing and that staged protest with professionally printed signs and paid actors chanting "Repent" is a prime example of it. That was a show before the show.

Looked like a pretty good performance for some guys around 70 years old. They're kind of ageless with their signature make-up and costume get-ups.

The left has mastered this "technique" with their staged phony paid protests as well but unlike KISS they truly ARE the and are EVIL.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:00 AM
pewt2k
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Is Kiss still evil, ask Ace Frehley.
http://loudwire.com/ace-frehley-girl...ve-ace-killed/
Old 02-03-2019, 07:17 AM
maybelooking
CF Senior Member

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I saw Metallica for the first time a week ago. GREAT SHOW. In my top 5 for sure. I saw KISS back in 89 and that was a top 5 show (Hot In The Shade Tour). But then I saw KISS again a few years ago with Motley Crue and I thought KISS sucked. Maybe they just had an off night???

I was never a fan of KISS with makeup. Im an 80s child and without the makeup and with Eric Carr as drummer they were awesome.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:55 AM
Over9K
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

See, if I was KISS I would have started putting new people behind the makeup years ago and just kept touring. Just let The Demon, The Starchild, The Spaceman and The Catman become KISS, and keep going...

Last edited by Over9K; 02-03-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:14 AM
shane p
CF Senior Member

Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts

I’m would think 90% of these bands don’t really care about the devil. They pretend for shock and awe to draw a following.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:19 AM
m and t's77
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Knight's In Saturn's Service...nah they are just masters of marketing.Remember the "blood" issue.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:24 AM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

Liked 476 Times in 371 Posts

the only devil is how much money they will make on this 2-3 year ''FAREWELL TOUR''
Old 02-03-2019, 08:36 AM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts

Honestly didn't know they were "evil" to begin with.

From a christian forum, a list of the most evil bands (albeit 7 years old)

Acheron
Angelcorpse
Arch Enemy
Archgoat
Avenged Sevenfold (?)
Beherit
Bad Religion (?)
Behemoth (?)
Burzum
Bullet for my Valentine (?)
Cradle of Filth
Cannibal Corpse (?)
Slayer (?)
Dissection
Gorgoroth
Dark Funeral
Deicide
Dimmu borgir
Mayhem
Ozzy Osborne (?)
Hellhammer

Stay away!

Link - https://www.christianforums.com/thre...bands.7622866/
Old 02-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Axelrod
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Thanks for the summary. World renowned American artists.

They're no Justin Bieber

Old 02-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Over9K
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MagRedConv View Post

Acheron
Angelcorpse
Arch Enemy
Archgoat
Avenged Sevenfold (?)
Beherit
Bad Religion (?)
Behemoth (?)
Burzum
Cradle of Filth
Cannibal Corpse (?)
Slayer (?)
Dissection
Gorgoroth
Dark Funeral
Deicide
Dimmu borgir
Mayhem
Ozzy Osborne (?)
Hellhammer

Stay away!

PPPBBBBSHHHH!!!! Bullshit list. Maiden's not even on it.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:43 AM
m and t's77
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MagRedConv View Post

Acheron
Angelcorpse
Arch Enemy
Archgoat
Avenged Sevenfold (?)
Beherit
Bad Religion (?)
Behemoth (?)
Burzum
Cradle of Filth
Cannibal Corpse (?)
Slayer (?)
Dissection
Gorgoroth
Dark Funeral
Deicide
Dimmu borgir
Mayhem
Ozzy Osborne (?)
Hellhammer

Stay away!

Old 02-03-2019, 08:44 AM
Over9K
CF Senior Member

No GWAR? Come on... who are these people, the Church Of Latter Day Bon Jovi Fans?
Old 02-03-2019, 09:03 AM
Krystal
CF Senior Member

Liked 61 Times in 49 Posts

KISS in a Nutshell:

Mediocre Music.

Marketing Genius.

Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons.......stand as proof that the American Dream is alive and well. Hard work and Focus are what paid off here.

Rock and Roll over the years that KISS has been around produced many individual artists and Bands who rose to the top with Music that is just LIGHT YEARS above the drivel and bar chord mediocre that KISS wrote and plays.......yet I can't think of a single one over the last 40 years that was as focused or nearly as good at the marketing or selling of the product.

Simmons and Stanley dealt with everything you might expect to happen in both a Rock Band and/or any business.

They dealt with drug use and all the associated problems in some band members who were "jettisoned" as a result. They dealt with the death of a popular replacement drummer and other issues of hired players who just didn't "fit" well over time.

The band's two original Founders may not have ever written a single song that won't be almost immediately forgotten as soon as they do that actual final tour.........but what they did do better than anyone else in Rock and/or music in general.......they stayed away from the drugs and they stayed very focused on the business of "KISS".

You don't have to like the band or it's music to appreciate that this band stands as an example of how to do this business correctly!

It's really pretty amazing to realize how many bands and individual artists could have done this and maybe even better and bigger.......but they didn't because playing and writing isn't all there is to this........not by a Long Shot!!
Old 02-03-2019, 09:11 AM
X-ZZ4
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

This was another father-son show.

I told my son the best way to describe KISS is that they're the WWE of rock and roll. After the show, which he really liked, he completely agreed. ;thumbs:

I
Old 02-03-2019, 09:30 AM
Over9K
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by X-ZZ4 View Post
This was another father-son show.

I told my son the best way to describe KISS is that they're the WWE of rock and roll. After the show, which he really liked, he completely agreed. ;thumbs:

You guys look... tired... or Chinese...
Old 02-03-2019, 09:38 AM
car junkie
CF Senior Member

Liked 93 Times in 76 Posts

How did these bubblegum rock bands become legitimized?

Metallica and especially KISS, were always unbelievably formulaic and boring. The repetition in the lyrics of KISS songs could not be more unimaginative and mind numbing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So....is KISS still evil?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: