Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

This Blackface Thing is Out of Control

 
Old 02-07-2019, 01:40 PM
  #21  
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2002
Location: Hacienda Heights CA
Posts: 19,518
Thanked 292 Times in 259 Posts
Default

I think Obama was the worst offender, as he pretended to be black, and did nothing to help Blacks!
TCracingCA is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 01:41 PM
  #22  
owebo
CF Senior Member
 
owebo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Washigton, DC
Posts: 107,904
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16
Default

Originally Posted by Vitoc View Post
Hypocrisy for days ^
saved myself some typing...
owebo is online now  
Old 02-07-2019, 01:41 PM
  #23  
Aerovette
CF Senior Member
 
Aerovette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: MAGA !!!
Posts: 28,220
Thanked 178 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Thin line...

Aerovette is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 01:42 PM
  #24  
glbeauchamp
CF Senior Member
 
glbeauchamp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Douglas County WI
Posts: 1,274
Thanked 101 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
this whole thing is freak'n stupid. Micheal Jackson was the biggest white face sucker ever. Who cares. The only reason this is coming up is because it's a distraction from democrats real goals of killing elementary school children next. Democrats make ***** look like saints. Democrats = evil baby murdering pedophiles.
The social security problem could be alleviated by euthanasia over X years of age. Sacrifices must be made, dontcha know.

glbeauchamp is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 02:16 PM
  #25  
ghostmech
CF Senior Member
 
ghostmech's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: Keesler AFB MS
Posts: 4,868
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99 View Post
Saving myself some typing...

In strict terms, whiteface and blackface are very much the same thing. Itís a theatrical device meant to portray racial stereotypes, usually for a comedic purpose.

However, as with most things, context trumps content. Blackface was not only used for comedic effect, but was also used originally to deny black people opportunities to work in the entertainment industry. Partially because many aspiring black actors refused to cater to the tastes of white audiences of the time, but also because blackface was meant to cement black stereotypes as ďthe way black people areĒ, often in the most deleterious and nefarious ways.

My point is that blackface has a rather long and dark (no pun intended) history, whereas whiteface does not. Bear in mind that whiteface nor blackface would have ever been used in entertainment and media were it not green-lighted by a still overwhelmingly white and male dominated entertainment industry.

All of that said, people need to learn to just accept that our aesthetic and cultural differences are what make us great and itís okay to make fun of ourselves as long as the intent is not malicious.

Context trumps content...
So which is it? Nowadays (within the last 30 years), a white guy wears blackface as part a Michael Jackson costume is it to judged by context of the past or just content of the now? It seems rules according to you and other AAs, nothing changes and the context of the past applies forever. Even worse, people like me and other white people must live in literal fear that we can be labeled racists for even laughing at a person in black face or imitating a "stereotypical" black man. We can even lose our job if in a public position. On the other hand, a black guy can wear whiteface and imitate "stereotypical" white people and is considered a comic or thespian genius. How ******' fair is that? As far as political correctness goes, apparently "whitey" need not apply.

Last edited by ghostmech; 02-07-2019 at 03:34 PM.
ghostmech is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 03:11 PM
  #26  
BuckeyeZ06
CF Senior Member
 
BuckeyeZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2002
Location: Canfield Ohio
Posts: 4,927
Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99 View Post
Saving myself some typing...

In strict terms, whiteface and blackface are very much the same thing. Itís a theatrical device meant to portray racial stereotypes, usually for a comedic purpose.

However, as with most things, context trumps content. Blackface was not only used for comedic effect, but was also used originally to deny black people opportunities to work in the entertainment industry. Partially because many aspiring black actors refused to cater to the tastes of white audiences of the time, but also because blackface was meant to cement black stereotypes as ďthe way black people areĒ, often in the most deleterious and nefarious ways.

My point is that blackface has a rather long and dark (no pun intended) history, whereas whiteface does not. Bear in mind that whiteface nor blackface would have ever been used in entertainment and media were it not green-lighted by a still overwhelmingly white and male dominated entertainment industry.

All of that said, people need to learn to just accept that our aesthetic and cultural differences are what make us great and itís okay to make fun of ourselves as long as the intent is not malicious.

Context trumps content...
I'll buy that explanation.

The only issue I have with it, and this is not to be argumentative with you, is how is a person's intent judged? Is it done by the actor, or by the audience?

I realize in most cases it should be, and will be, obvious. But there are times when even the most innocent remark or action (even those not racial in nature) are taken as "bad" by those with the intention to make society worse (and they are on both sides of the political aisle).The actor can claim an innocent intent, but if someone wants to ruin them, they will.
BuckeyeZ06 is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:03 PM
  #27  
C5pilot
CF Senior Member
 
C5pilot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Be thankful we're not getting all the gov't we're paying for. S.E. PA
Posts: 8,136
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99 View Post
Saving myself some typing...

In strict terms, whiteface and blackface are very much the same thing. Itís a theatrical device meant to portray racial stereotypes, usually for a comedic purpose.

However, as with most things, context trumps content. Blackface was not only used for comedic effect, but was also used originally to deny black people opportunities to work in the entertainment industry. Partially because many aspiring black actors refused to cater to the tastes of white audiences of the time, but also because blackface was meant to cement black stereotypes as ďthe way black people areĒ, often in the most deleterious and nefarious ways.

My point is that blackface has a rather long and dark (no pun intended) history, whereas whiteface does not. Bear in mind that whiteface nor blackface would have ever been used in entertainment and media were it not green-lighted by a still overwhelmingly white and male dominated entertainment industry.

All of that said, people need to learn to just accept that our aesthetic and cultural differences are what make us great and itís okay to make fun of ourselves as long as the intent is not malicious.

Context trumps content...
But let's get you on record... Did the Wayans brothers use their white-face costumes to ONLY pose as white or did they take jabs at white people with their performances? Were whites appalled or entertained?

If times can change to make blackface unacceptable and vilify those who used it decades ago, then so can white-face performances. (I disagree with this approach)

Nobody here is going to argue whether blackface was/is right or wrong. It happened/s. It is what it is and every instance has it's own level of racism and in lots of cases, NONE at all. What divides us is how it's used as a weapon unevenly across political spectrum's. It's just like the 1st amendment... Just because it's not against the law doesn't mean it's not stupid or that there won't be repercussions. Social justice is completely unhinged at this point. Unfortunately, the left has pushed for this scenario. If people want to be triggered by blackface or whiteface, then it should go down as nothing more than thinking someone was stupid for doing it and nothing more, IMHO. Put me in the group of thinking it was stupid but the outrage today is even more stupid.
C5pilot is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:08 PM
  #28  
H P Bushrod
Moderator
 
H P Bushrod's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Maryville Tn
Posts: 37,356
Thanked 72 Times in 56 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-Ď18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default

Originally Posted by H P Bushrod View Post
PURPLE HAZE!

Time for the everyone to take a couple of these and call me in the morning.....


This race crap is ridiculous.......
H P Bushrod is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:12 PM
  #29  
Aerovette
CF Senior Member
 
Aerovette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: MAGA !!!
Posts: 28,220
Thanked 178 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C5pilot View Post
But let's get you on record... Did the Wayans brothers use their white-face costumes to ONLY pose as white or did they take jabs at white people with their performances? Were whites appalled or entertained?

If times can change to make blackface unacceptable and vilify those who used it decades ago, then so can white-face performances. (I disagree with this approach)

Nobody here is going to argue whether blackface was/is right or wrong. It happened/s. It is what it is and every instance has it's own level of racism and in lots of cases, NONE at all. What divides us is how it's used as a weapon unevenly across political spectrum's. It's just like the 1st amendment... Just because it's not against the law doesn't mean it's not stupid or that there won't be repercussions. Social justice is completely unhinged at this point. Unfortunately, the left has pushed for this scenario. If people want to be triggered by blackface or whiteface, then it should go down as nothing more than thinking someone was stupid for doing it and nothing more, IMHO. Put me in the group of thinking it was stupid but the outrage today is even more stupid.
When blacks imitate whites - "Ha, yeah, some of us do that. I've seen it. Hell, I've DONE that. LOL" Life goes on.
When whites imitate blacks - "Racist ! Fire them immediately. Make death threats. Go after their children. Flip a car. Loot a store. Burn something".
Aerovette is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:31 PM
  #30  
Chemdawg99
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Chemdawg99's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: Bel Air (by way of Fort Worth, TX) Maryland
Posts: 54,335
Thanked 92 Times in 67 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default

Originally Posted by colo63sw View Post
Well stated.
But context is out the window in today's PC world. The PC police have power now and they will continually push the limits of that power, it has already gone to bad places and will only get worse.

That is one reason people like Trump, he is brave enough to push back at that power and suffer the slings & arrows that inevitably result from that push.
Admittedly, there is some validity to your last point about Trump, but Iím not so sure that most people think as you do.
Chemdawg99 is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:46 PM
  #31  
Chemdawg99
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Chemdawg99's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: Bel Air (by way of Fort Worth, TX) Maryland
Posts: 54,335
Thanked 92 Times in 67 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default

Originally Posted by C5pilot View Post
But let's get you on record... Did the Wayans brothers use their white-face costumes to ONLY pose as white or did they take jabs at white people with their performances? Were whites appalled or entertained?

If times can change to make blackface unacceptable and vilify those who used it decades ago, then so can white-face performances. (I disagree with this approach)

Nobody here is going to argue whether blackface was/is right or wrong. It happened/s. It is what it is and every instance has it's own level of racism and in lots of cases, NONE at all. What divides us is how it's used as a weapon unevenly across political spectrum's. It's just like the 1st amendment... Just because it's not against the law doesn't mean it's not stupid or that there won't be repercussions. Social justice is completely unhinged at this point. Unfortunately, the left has pushed for this scenario. If people want to be triggered by blackface or whiteface, then it should go down as nothing more than thinking someone was stupid for doing it and nothing more, IMHO. Put me in the group of thinking it was stupid but the outrage today is even more stupid.
I thought the movie was pretty dumb, no different than Al Jolson doing blackface back in the day. Itís not really a question as to whether Iím personally offended by blackface or whiteface. I donít see a white person doing blackface and immediately think the person wearing it is being racist. There is profound difference between wearing blackface to celebrate Sinterklaas day, or as a Halloween costume, or to do comedy and wearing it while posing next to someone in a Klan outfit or posting a picture in blackface on social media while using racial epithets.

Taking jabs at racial stereotypes, ala White Chicks or Blazing Saddles isnít the same thing as perpetuating false racial narratives like the actors in blackface in the original Birth of a Nation movie.
Chemdawg99 is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:49 PM
  #32  
Aerovette
CF Senior Member
 
Aerovette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: MAGA !!!
Posts: 28,220
Thanked 178 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99 View Post
I thought the movie was pretty dumb, no different than Al Jolson doing blackface back in the day. Itís not really a question as to whether Iím personally offended by blackface or whiteface. I donít see a white person doing blackface and immediately think the person wearing it is being racist. There is profound difference between wearing blackface to celebrate Sinterklaas day, or as a Halloween costume, or to do comedy and wearing it while posing next to someone in a Klan outfit or posting a picture in blackface on social media while using racial epithets.

Taking jabs at racial stereotypes, ala White Chicks or Blazing Saddles isnít the same thing as perpetuating false racial narratives like the actors in blackface in the original Birth of a Nation movie.
What did you do with Chemdawg?
Aerovette is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 05:15 PM
  #33  
jcharity
CF Senior Member
 
jcharity's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 25,428
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by H P Bushrod View Post
This race crap is ridiculous.......
Sick of it.
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
What did you do with Chemdawg?
Understanding a person's thoughts in its entirety gives you a better field for that person. Nothing about CD has changed.
jcharity is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 05:19 PM
  #34  
Aerovette
CF Senior Member
 
Aerovette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: MAGA !!!
Posts: 28,220
Thanked 178 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Anyone know who this beautiful black woman is?




It's Joy Behar. Apparently if you say you are dressing as a handsome black man or a beautiful black woman, it is suddenly acceptable. It's all in the marketing.
Aerovette is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 05:20 PM
  #35  
H P Bushrod
Moderator
 
H P Bushrod's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Maryville Tn
Posts: 37,356
Thanked 72 Times in 56 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-Ď18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default

Originally Posted by jcharity View Post
Sick of it.

Understanding a person's thoughts in its entirety gives you a better field for that person. Nothing about CD has changed.
H P Bushrod is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 05:24 PM
  #36  
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Frankie the Fink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando Metro Area Florida
Posts: 46,741
Thanked 3,203 Times in 2,556 Posts
Default

Jesus - I have an old Vaudeville poster of my grandfather in blackface doing an Al Jolson (a Jewish fella) tribute back in the day...
I wish people would just get over it...
Frankie the Fink is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 05:24 PM
  #37  
63 340HP
CF Senior Member
 
63 340HP's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Beach & High Desert Southern California
Posts: 14,924
Thanked 355 Times in 241 Posts
Default

The problem with divisive political oppression, is that when fully enforced it always comes back to convict the oppressors.

This PC oppression has gone full retard.

63 340HP is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 05:30 PM
  #38  
jcharity
CF Senior Member
 
jcharity's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 25,428
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 63 340HP View Post
The problem with divisive political oppression, is that when fully enforced it always comes back to convict the oppressors.

This PC oppression has gone full retard.

That was one funny movie. Robert Downey hits all bases!
jcharity is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 06:02 PM
  #39  
msandym
CF Senior Member
 
msandym's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Posts: 770
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Over9K View Post
Don't worry... Whoopi will be along shortly to tell us all why it's ok for her friends to do it... it's only when our friends do it, that it becomes racist.
yup , jimmy Kimmel, Fallon, billy crystal, Ted damson .
msandym is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 06:20 PM
  #40  
C5pilot
CF Senior Member
 
C5pilot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Be thankful we're not getting all the gov't we're paying for. S.E. PA
Posts: 8,136
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99 View Post
I thought the movie was pretty dumb, no different than Al Jolson doing blackface back in the day. Itís not really a question as to whether Iím personally offended by blackface or whiteface. I donít see a white person doing blackface and immediately think the person wearing it is being racist. There is profound difference between wearing blackface to celebrate Sinterklaas day, or as a Halloween costume, or to do comedy and wearing it while posing next to someone in a Klan outfit or posting a picture in blackface on social media while using racial epithets.

Taking jabs at racial stereotypes, ala White Chicks or Blazing Saddles isnít the same thing as perpetuating false racial narratives like the actors in blackface in the original Birth of a Nation movie.
You avoided my question... Was the Wayans brothers "comedic" portrayal at the expense of white people or not? And since we all know the answer is a resounding, "YES", why was/is that ok? Why wait for whites to be upset over it in a hundred years, we should act now.
C5pilot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This Blackface Thing is Out of Control


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: